Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/20

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, except for agility class.

Lori, yes, I did see a lot of workouts by Linda W, and you are right, it could be overwhelming trying to choose. I sometimes get that way with Cathe Live too! So many to choose from. I think you will really like using your jumpsport, etc with Home Gym Intervals.

Diane Sue, that is great that your family is doing that volunteer work together. I know what you mean by ibuprofen...I really try not to take it that much any more, as I was taking it many times a day, for 10 months when I had the herniated disk in my back. I am still on the fence about buying the cherry juice and starting it, even though I can't seem to get more than 5+ hours of sleep any night. :(. I wonder what the equivalent of eating fresh cherries would be to make up 2 - 8 oz classes of the juice.

Valerie, great that you can get to ride the tree farm now. That is too bad about your brother. I hope the antibiotics work from home and he does not have to be hospitalized. I can see the vet bill being a little higher than the estimate, but not that much higher!

Judy, that's great that you are able to brush your kitties teeth! That is the first time I have ever heard that someone could do that.

Carolyn, good job on the JS workouts.....is that yoga one part of the WS series or did you get it on YouTube?

Take care,

Good morning. We are on the road. Long drive day.
I did a 40 niinute spin and x train abs yesterday. While packing clothes I put on some capris that didn’t get worn much because a tad too tight. Well they are now loose. I am so pleased. I not subscribing to weight watchers now because it doesn’t work for me with traveling but still following the basic diet. Have not gotten to goal but not regaining.

Dry cherries have a fair amount of sugar added and also some. Oil. When I use them in cereal I treat them like fresh and use only 8 or 10. I like rainier cherries when available. I would think you would need a lot of cherries for 8 oz of jiuice. More cherries than you would ever eat fresh

Judy wise to start as kittens most adult kitties would not be too agreeable. Our cats nene had any dental issues

Deb there was supposedly a frequent customer discount in that vet bill too. My neighbor was quoted 1200$ for cleaning a big dog teeth without any extractions so maybe it is a new moneymaker for vets. A real incentive to brush your pets teeth

Last edited:
Deb-Thanks! They really like the seafood flavor toothpaste so I think they look forward to it now.

Valerie- I think it is a moneymaker for vets. I've heard $600-$1000 for cleaning a cat's teeth around here. Vets seem to be pushing it more and more lately. I'm also concerned about the safety, since they have to go under anesthesia. I'm determined that our cats will never have that procedure.

Reactions: WD
Hello Everyone,
Today is a rest day for me. My knee isn’t bothering me as much but it is not back to normal yet. I thought about seeing my doctor, but it seems to be getting better.

Deb, I did one of the yoga practices from the JS Gentle Yoga dvd (not the Back Care). There are 3 twenty minute practices on the dvd. The one that I did used a chair for support.

Valerie, that’s great that your pants are fitting better.

Hi to Lori, Judy, and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful afternoon.

This morning I did P90X3 yoga, 34 minutes, 88 calories. Family brunch was canceled as my son in law had a bad headache. So it is a relaxed afternoon.

Deb, I would think a person would have to have a lot of extra time to go over all of those workouts and make notes on which you would want to do. I found it a bit overwhelming with Cathe live on choosing. I am sure after awhile you would gain some knowledge of what ones you like. It is so much easier to choose dvds. I am not sure about how much actual cherries to make up for two cups of juice. Concentrated juice that you would add water to would probably not be way too many cherries juiced to equal a couple of Tablespoons. For the bottled ready to drink juice, you would think it would have water in it if it is reconstituted. It makes me kind of wonder. I ate dried cherries the last two evenings and I had some of my worst sleep. Actually I had them during the day and evening. I may look into that too. I wouldn't think one would want to eat too many cherries or you might experience some digestive problems. I still remember when a child and my parents would travel and stop at those road side fruit and vegetable stands and pick up stuff. They bought cherries and we munched cherries like candy. A lot of cherries! Needless to say some stops had to be made before we reached out destination.

Valerie, the Sunrise fruit and nut company dried no sugar added bing cherries that I purchased says ingredients " bing cherries (and nothing else)" They have 0 fat in them where many that have some oil added do have some fat listed. They are not real sweet. Nice work on the capris being loose :) I noticed my vet talking about dogs teeth cleaning on his facebook. Before he got his own office , cleaning dogs teeth was never mentioned. I do think it may be somewhat of a money maker. They should be encouraging working on keeping the dogs oral hygiene up is there is that kind of issue. That is too much money in my opinion for cleaning the dogs teeth.

Judy, there is always a risk with putting under anesthesia. I had a friend whose doctor told her that everytime people are put under that it damages some brain cells. I found that interesting for him to say.

Carolyn, I had thought at first that I might have to see a doctor for my hip/low back pain, but it is getting better daily. Besides they would probably give meds that I would not want. I probably still have some of them sitting around here from my shoulder and from my knee surgery. Then it would be x rays or mri which I suppose would help diagnose the problem, and I know I am not willing for surgery, so basically to me it is a waste of my time and money at this point. I was looking at my P90X3 workouts and thinking that the Yoga, Dynamics (mobility), and pilates would be good workouts to pull out.

Diane Sue, that was my thought too about going to the doctor for my knee. If I felt like I had a serious tear or something similar I would go. I am not going to take pain medication and I am not going to have surgery for something minor.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did KCM's Power Sculpting, 35 minutes, 200 calories.

Valerie, great job on the weight loss and those capris being a little big! :).

Judy, I didn't know about flavored toothpaste for pets....I have some mint gel too, but they are not too fond of it. I can understand how that flavor would see "off" to an animal.

Carolyn, I hope your knee is better today...good to rest another day.

Diane Sue, I love fresh cherries! They have not caused any digestive issues as far as I can remember. Did you mean that you were going to look into the pills? Yikes! A pound of cherries to get 12 ounces of juice??..

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb, nice work getting in Kelly's power sculpting. I thoughtba pound of cherries seemed like a lot. I have never juiced anything other than citrus so was surprised. When you think about removing the pit then there is even less to juice. I just meant that I was interested and would check on how many cherries for a cup. I often wonder how they manage to get stuff like that down to a powder that would equal as many nutrients as the real thing when you buy capsules.

that's why WW backs away from juices. you could drink in a few gulps the equivalent of more cherries than you would ever eat fresh. even citrus that is so juicy... the same thing. I eat half an orange and I'm happy but the juice from a half an orange is pretty meager looking.

we drove all the way.... took close to 11 .5 hours. traffic was not bad, but a lot of lanes closed for beginning of hwy repair season, dropping the speed limit. no exercise yesterday. my shoulder is slowly getting better. it is a specific spot and looking at pictures it feels like the biceps tendon. I am using my arm normally, not doing anything that hurts. the shoulder itself is fine. I am doing some ROM moves a few time a day and had no problem with xc ski pole use, planks, etc. it went from feeling like the shoulder area to feeling like it is more specific. so more rest and "normal " use but no workouts where biceps is clearly activated for a while yet. we loaded and unloaded things yesterday and I skipped the very heavy stuff. I wish I knew what I did to cause this but no clue. suddenly it is quite a bit better so must be doing the right thing.

Carolyn it sounds like you are doing the same approach. I got the cortisone shot, at that point skipped imaging studies and formal PT. I will do that later on if the conservative approach doesn't work.

I used to use a tiny bit of regular toothpaste on our dog mostly so I could see where I'd brushed. this was a long time ago before they had "pet" toothpaste.

DH ordered a rowing machine to use here for exercise. I have some weights, bands, and DVD's if we don't ride or hike enough. we've never had one but tried one a few months ago. found it pleasant and different, uses muscles differently than we usually do.

Today I did WS3 Cardio Step Jam mostly on the floor instead of the step. That was 32 minutes and 201 calories burned. Average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 136. I followed up with Jane Adams’ Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for an additional 17 minutes.

Deb, good job with Power Sculpting yesterday. If you are eating whole cherries you would need a lot less than you need for juice. The whole fruit has the fiber and all of the nutrients from that.

Valerie, the rowing machine sounds like a nice thing to add to your fitness routine. Yes, I am trying the same approach as you to my knee problem.

Hello to Lori, Judy, and Diane Sue.

This morning I did P90X3 Dynamix with the cold start warm up added, 44 minutes, met 3.0, 146 calories, heart rate average 95, max 130. I then did Ice Chiseled Upper Body, 49 minutes, heart rate average 100, max 143, met 4.2, 227 calories. I used slightly Cathe's weights and slightly higher on some moves. I finished off with Sarah Beth Yoga 10 minute cooldown hips and legs, 13 minutes, 31 calories, met 2.1. Total time 1 hour 46 minutes, 404 calories. I always forget how good Dynamix is for mobility work. I am keeping the upper body weights a bit lower than I would normally use. I think just lifting and turning with too heavy of weights could possibly set things off again. Just being careful. The only thing that really hurts is when I sit for long periods. I am a bit apprehensive about sitting at the graduation for my grandson tonight. My daughter is picking me up extra early since my grandson has to be there early. Hopefully it is not incredibly long. They have loads of valedictorians giving speeches.

Valerie, I have never been a fan of juices myself. I would much rather eat the fruit. My husband used to drink a lot of orange juice till he found out how much sugar calories was in it. I love fresh oranges. I remember doing rowing on my Bowflex when I was trying to rehab before. I never felt I was getting my heartrate up high, but it was still pretty active. I would guess a rowing machine may be a bit different the seat of the Bowflex would glide back and forth while I held the cables to row. It depended on how fast I could make myself go. I am glad that things are going better for the shoulder.

Carolyn, that makes since that whole cherries would have all of the nutrients and the need would be less.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Diane Sue, I kind of wondered about the capsules too. It just seems so much better than drinking all that juice every day. 4 ounces twice a day wouldn't be bad, but 8 seems like a lot to get down, not even thinking about the calories etc. How was the graduation?

Valerie, wow, that is a long ride without a stop over. If you can do that it's great. Good that your arm is feeling better. Like you said, you must be doing the right things for it. I liked the rowing machine when I used one in a gym. Never thought to purchase one though.

Carolyn, great workout, using the floor is a good idea. Sometimes the step can give me that "dread factor" I wonder what the equivalent whole cherries would be to equal the nutrients of 8 ounces of juice?

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

I think having to drink the juice daily to get the benefits would get tiresome. The graduation was so long. We were there around 5 and it did not start till 6:30. There was 19 valedictorians giving speeches. It was near 9 when we got out of there. My hip hurt so much from all of that sitting. Then battling crowds taking pictures. I got some great shots of my grandson though. Then offto the after family and friend gathering. I got home and went straight to bed but couldnt sleep. Next graduation is Thursday and starts later. The after gathering is at my daughters in the country. I am sure it will be anither late night.

Today I did ICE Chiseled Upper Body plus Icy Core 1 for 55 minutes and 203 calories burned. My average heart rate was 105 and maximum heart rate was 139.

Deb, I don’t dread using the step, just the opposite, but I was avoiding certain movements because of my knee. I would never try to drink that amount of fruit juice daily. I just try to eat a wide variety of foods including those with specific health benefits. Eating a 1 cup serving of cherries occasionally works for me.

Diane Sue, having that many speeches at the graduation ceremony would have been torture for me! That’s a good example of what we are willing to go through for family. I noticed that we both did Chiseled Upper Body this week. According to my sheet, it was exactly a year ago that I last did it. It was a good reminder of what I like about ICE.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Home Gym Intervals workout # 2 using the rebounder for the cardio, 30 minutes, 205 calories, heart rate average 139, max 165, met 6.2, 2,474 steps. I then did Barre Amped Bounce cardio and stretch, 21 minutes, met 5.7, heart rate 125 average, 161 max, 1,300 steps, 132 calories. I finished off with You Tube Sarah Beth 30 minute sciatica yoga, 66 calories, met 2.0. Total time was 81 minutes, 403 calories.

Carolyn, that is funny because when I looked at my worksheet for Chiseled Upper Body it was a little over a year ago at April 29th 2017. It really doesn't seem that long ago to me. The next graduation should be easier. It is in a private school with 44 graduates instead of hundreds and 1 valedictorian. Although they tend to have a few extra guest speakers. It can't be as long as last night.

Deb sometimes we stop midway and do a ride and camp over night but this time we wanted to just get here. it is a long day but if you get on the road early it is pretty efficient and light all the way. I don't like to drive dark/ semi dark times for increased chance of deer and bigger animals on the roadway.

even if you care about someone, grad ceremonies are absolute torture. I understand you want to be there for your family, but wow, I hate the process especially that long! my sympathy.

I also would not drink that much juice. too many calories for me and too much of a sugar load. my pants are loose, I don't want them snugging back up! I'd eat a cup, cup and a half of cherries and be happy with that. If I drank juice, I would cut the amount way down.

we had a late afternoon storm yesterday with a gorgeous double rainbow forming during the rain. it was magical!. I wish I could get a picture on here. the picture did not do it justice it was stunningly beautiful with the most beautiful light. .
today we did a mt bike for 3 hrs 45 min. first couple miles uphill hard, then the rest pretty easy but lovely. rode past a big lake that is near our house, then up to the end of a path in wildlife management area, and then to a pond with all kinds of interesting birds. saw sandhill cranes, wilsons phalaropes, a dozen kinds of ducks ( not just plain old mallards and coots) . saw some huge jack rabbits on our driveway when we left this morning. two of them. so probably more rabbits coming soon.

Your ride and all of the wildlife sounds wonderful. The rainbow sounds magnificent. I wish I could have seen it. I see those things and think how impossible it is to paint the scene and do it justice :) The thing with grad ceremonies is most will say they do not enjoy them, but we seem to have to have them. It would be nice if you could just go see your grad and get a picture of them with their certificate and go home. But, it does not work that way. The only ones that really appreciate those speeches and things is the family and friends of the individual.

Good evening ladies,

I have done great with workouts the past few days. I was going to start linda woolridge’s 12 week rotation yesterday, but realized the first workout I needed my large ball. My son borrowed mine and had not returned it. :(. So I decided to start a LEKfit challenge that was mentioned on her FB page. I am feeling these! I usually do only her bounce segments but the past few days I have included the sculpt portions plus Sb targets and I am loving it.

Deb..I am looking forward to KCM home Intervals. Going to sub this in at some point. I feel that way too with Cathe Live. So many now. I usually just stick with the most current and try to fit it in on the weekends. Hard to believe she is coming up to her 200th streaming workout. I have never been a fan of fresh cherries. I love cherry popsicles and hardcandy but never cared for the fruit. Especially dislike cherry yogurt.

Valerie...that is great the pants are loose!!! Awesome!!!! That was a long ride all at once. How long are you staying this trip? Rowing machines are great. I have used them before. Great total body workout.

Carolyn...you have been doing great with your workouts - hoping your knee continues to improve. A couple years back while running on my treadmill my right knee started with this sharp pain out of nowhere. I completely changed my routine and was very aware of my movements. Fortunately, the pain went away and I was able to continue on. Which rotation are you following?

Diane Sue... I can’t wait to try home intervals with the rebounder. LEKfit Bounces are always intervals so it will be easy to sub Kelly’s in. Wow 19 speeches. That is a lot of sitting you did! Congrats for your grandson though.

Have a great night all! Hi to Judy!

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Strong Total Body, 46 minutes, 235 calories.

Diane Sue, that was really a long graduation, I feel for you. Good the next one is shorter. I hope you got better sleep last night. I agree, 8 oz - twice a day would be a lot. Maybe 4 ounces - twice wouldn't be that bad. I started taking 3 mg of melatonin each night, and it may be helping a bit. I am experimenting with it, will give it maybe 2-4 weeks, depending on how it goes.

Carolyn, good job on Chiseled Upper Body. I need to get back to the ICE workouts.

Valerie, that ride sounds lovely, just so much to see!

Lori, nice rotation switch. :). Maybe a good future gift for your son, a fitness ball! LOL... I try to keep separate lists of the LIVE I like, or want to try, by type: Total Body, upper, lower, cardio, HIIT, barre etc. Then it makes it a bit less overwhelming when picking one to do.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.