Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/19

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 1 hour Spinerval, 1 segment of Horizontal Conditioning, and Cathe Medicine Ball Abs. In the evening I went to the gym with DH and did a back workout.

Today I went to get a flu shot in the morning and this evening I went for a walk with DH, for about 45 minutes.

Lori-I looked at Suzanne Bowens supported bar and upper thigh workout and I think I will add that in this week. I'll be doing live butts and guts again soon too. That was fun! I need more time in the day to be able to do all of the workouts I want to do..

Deb-That is great news!

Valerie-good luck with your foot problem. Like Lori said, if you have the surgery, you will be back at it in no time. Since you workout so much, you will recover quicker from it, probably sooner than most other people would.

Hi to Lynda & Josie!

Judy

Good morning,

I am off today, going to meet with the financial guy again. I was not happy when we met with him last time, he and John kept getting off track and talking about the civil war, etc etc. After that I am meeting my friend for breakfast. It's going to be tough, because I have been off of coffee, ( thinking maybe the acid was helping me), and we usually sit and drink coffee for hours.

Lynda, that is funny, I had a Bernina for several years, then bought a Pfaff. I didn't get all the electronics though, but bought extra quilting attachments.

Valerie, sorry about the foot diagnosis, hope you are able to find good info on the surgery etc. I agree with Judy, you are in great shape, so recovery should be easier for you.

Lori, what a nice weekend to look forward to!

Judy, great workouts and a nice walk with DH.

Hi to Josie!

Take care,

I think you are going to hear a whole lot more than you had hoped about my toe... it is not a bunion! not the same thing at all which was a surprise to me because it looks similar and that was what my mother had or at least what they called it at the time. hallux rigiditus, the big toe joint becoming badly arthritic and enlarged, for a combination of causes/reasons it does not bend much anymore. not an uncommon problem, especially with skiers and athletes who use their toes a lot. DH found a wonderful thread where a guy from Jackson hole documents his journey thru multiple surgeries on both feet to get it fixed. briefly interrupted from downhill and backcountry skiing, hiking for recovery phases. but back to doing what he loves. and he's not 25... he's 60 ish so some similarities. interestingly, it happens to young people too, usually because of some toe trauma that hurts the joint. and professional athletes. I don't have a hx of jamming or ramming the toe but it's certainly possible in the past.
minor soreness from my 2 upper body workouts 2 days in a row but I kept my previous weight levels OK.

Deb, where are you this morning? Hope you are continuing your recovery.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Jazzercise Dance Hiit (48:00).

My younger son was a soccer goalkeeper and has problems with his big toe as well. I think it's called "turf toe," and he had one surgery, but he still complains from time to time. It doesn't seem to have affected his gait or his skiing, running, other types of workouts. Anyway, I hope you can resolve your problem without too much pain or multiple surgeries, Valerie.

Lori, I think whatever is causing the rain (the weathermen are calling it a Nor'easter now) should be out of here by the weekend. The Cape, on the other hand, might be a problem if it's slow-moving. How are you doing with those anxiety attacks? You haven't mentioned them in awhile, so the therapy must be helping?

Deb, there is a high end Bernina for quilters and embroidery that looked super if you enjoy doing that kind of handwork. I really love pressing a button and magically doing a perfectly stitched buttonhole. I also have a foot for invisible zippers which works great. One cup of strong coffee in the morning is enough for me for a whole day.

Judy, how many workouts per day would you LIKE to do?

Hi to Josie!

It hasn't affected my activities much but it was always a consideration because it can get sore, and it's bigger than the same area on my rt foot so boot sizing may be an issue. Lynda this is just too funny... I read it was called "turf toe' but I didn't mention it because I though no one would know what it was! somehow related to squatting and a few other things, although (IMO) it's genetic mainly. I never wore heels much but my mothers side all have issues with that joint. It made me feel better reading about an active outdoors person's perspective on getting thru the surgery. Lots of other people chimed in also. One of my issues is in yoga, and in planks and pushups, where the toes are bent backward... some days that bothers me. I've been doing more knee pushups and increasing the number to 40-80 compensate.

Bought my sewing machine this morning. a Brother. it does quilting too, as if I'd ever do that!. great reviews though I only need the basics.
I agree Judy... that's quite a few workouts in one day...how do you find time to work and sleep?

Deb, that's a lot of coffee... I used to be able to do that but no more... maybe ice water, iced tea, hot tea, herb tea instead?

One workout a day should be enough :) but I guess I still have marathon training mentality even though I'm not training for a marathon.
Today felt like a Cathe Marathon- I started with Circuit Blast (a little too much jumping for me, I had to modify quite a bit); then I did Core 2 and Bonus Barre from XTrain. After that I did the Cathe Live Cycle class. I had today off work so had a little extra time to work with. I am tired now and I will probably be a little sore tomorrow.

Good evening ladies!

This morning I ran two miles and tonight was SB upper core with cardio and weights followed with arms with ball. For the arms I switched between 2, 3 and 4lbs and wow they felt worked. So funny how I use such heavy weights with cathe and then doing a SB and using lighter weights and they seem to bite too.

Valerie...good that you seem happy with your doctor. That is very important. Turf toe...who would have thought? Congrats on your new sewing machine. I use to sew years ago. I was never taught. Just bought a pattern one day and figured it out. I should get a cheap model just to have. Sometimes one can come in handy.

Lynda...when I checked this morning the Cape is cloudy on Friday and sunny Saturday and Sunday. We are leaving after work tomorrow so do not care if it rains on the ride as long as we wake up on Friday and it has cleared.

Deb...I make about 3 cups a day. 1 in the morning, 1 when I get to work then 1 at about 3ish. I say I make because I never usually finish the 2nd two and end up dumping. Hope you had a nice day off and breakfast was not to hard without the caffiene .

Judy...you have me beat with workouts! I actually like circuit blast. Thanks for reminding me about it. Will have to pull that one out. I liked the live cycle and hope she does another. I am really loving her live workouts.

I like the times posted on the new workouts. Will be able to do lots of mixing with these. :)

Have a great night all. Hi to Josie!

Good morning,

Well, new evidence on the ongoing UTI. I called and spoke with the nurse about my meds, do I continue? no word on the sample test? She said the med I was taking was not the right one, and changed it. Great. One pill and the symptoms disappeared. Are you kidding me?? I have been on the other one for 2 weeks. Now changing...?? This better not lead me down the path it did last time.

Valerie, I wonder how many others are assuming they have a bunion and it really is something else? Yes, trying to change to more water, less coffee.

Lynda, I can't imagine what trauma a soccer goalkeeper's toes must go through! I think when I retire, my coffee drinking will go down. At the office it's a habit to always have a cup handy. I am trying to switch it to water, even if I drink it from a coffee cup. Any sewing projects going on now?

Judy, Yowza! That's a lot of working outs at one time.

Lori, have a great trip, sending you "good weather" vibes :)

Hi to Josie,

Take care,

Deb, the conditions look very similar but an xray shows the difference. I think the surgery is similar, to correct the malalignment. the most common cause is 'inherited malposition of the first metatarsal bone" and other things can contribute.. injury, gout, high heels. ballet, running, squatting as activities. they keep mentioning soccer goalies! this explains why men can get this... the first thing most people think of is blaming high heels. I never had the toe mobility that I see most people have. yoga gets you looking at other peoples feet a lot! I never wore high heels much because they were uncomfortable, and they sure didn't make my over sized calves look better, but I didn't want to stick out by wearing flat shoes when all the women were in heels but I minimized time.
when I walk, I bypass the first metatarsal area more because it bends less and less. I put more pressure on the outside of my foot, and that's where the soreness tendonitis/ stress fracture came from. it is a lot better now and only is sore when I first get out of bed or up from sitting a long time. surgery still will not be a walk in the park and I'm not sure how quickly I'll be doing this. but it is a relief knowing what I'm dealing with.

sure, switch to another beverage... no one cares what's in the cup.

Judy & Josie ...I came across cycling tights for women at www.terrybicycles.com they have cool and cold weather full length tights in petite, regular and tall with a built in chamois. $114 to $145. I have some winter tights that I wear with separate undies. they have ankle zips and a lot of fabric that needs to be restrained or it will get snagged on the chain. Terry has some other pants that are more expensive they are standard length. way too long for me. I have several pairs of shorts & capris from terry and recommend her shorts & capris.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Burn Sets bis and tris with core 1 (47:40).

Deb, I hope you don't end up with the same antibiotic issues. What are the names of the two antibiotics? I guess you have never watched a soccer game. When the goalkeeper gets possession of the ball, s/he drop kicks the ball as far down the field as possible to get within reach of his striker (or less often, throws it to a defender to take down field). Nothing like having a heavy soccer ball landing on your big toe and then kicking it. Other soccer players get turf toe too because of dribbling. The soccer field is called the turf or the pitch.

Lori, I agree with you about SB's arm work. I end up with doms even though they are little weights. Hope you get some dry and sunny weather on the Cape. It is so gloomy here and this morning was a deluge.

Judy, I like the times on the new workouts as well. I hope she has a 45 minute combined workout on the low impact one, which would make it similar to KCM's combined 30 minute workouts.

Valerie, I bet toe pushups and planks are tough if you have pain in that joint. I'm pretty sure the surgery my son had was not a fusion, but some kind of shaving of the bone. Does that sound like what you have learned? I agree--it's always good to know what exactly the problem is.

Hope you're winning in Vegas, Josie!

I've never watched more than 20 seconds of soccer but that sounds like the kind of repeated action that might destroy the joint space. like stubbing your toe a million times. It's interesting how every other joint in my foot shows good cartilage and excellent space, but this one ( the important one) is totally toast. Lynda, I'm guessing here... but I imagine if your son still had some joint space left they might have trimmed down the excess bone and left the joint alone. It might never progress further. the excess bone ( I have that too) rubs on things like boots and shoes and gets irritated, and enlarges. I have no semblance of a joint left there. I'm thinking that all the people in my family who had "bunions" I'll bet this is what they had. no one ever got anything fixed or even evaluated, and they are all long gone except for my mother, who is WAY beyond any surgical correction. mine will get trimmed down and then fused when I'm ready. not sure how soon that will be. this will be a BIG deal.

Mostly ... toe push ups and planks have been OK until lately, and I'm doing mostly knee ones to let the foot settle down. I do them with that foot elevated, on knees, or else I push my feet against a wall to take pressure off a bit. some things I do with one foot on toes and the left foot lying flat on its top surface. there's almost always a "work around".

we'd hoped to do another trip yet this fall, but weather is wet and m cold and we may have missed the opportunity. DH will not let me forget this.

just found out today my yoga studio is, for sure now, moving. they can't afford the rent where they are so they are splitting into two units each in a different community. my teacher bought a studio herself and will be moving there in a couple weeks. this happened a lot faster than any of us expected. not sure how this will settle out.

Good morning & Happy Friday!

So looking forward to the weekend.

Valerie, it must be a relief to know now, what is exactly going on. Now you have to decide if/when you will have the surgery. Will you be following your current yoga instructor to her new place?

Lynda, no, I have never watched a soccer game! the 2 antibiotics are Amoxicillin and Bactrim. The nurse told me that the Amoxicillin was on the "intermediary" level for this bacteria, that is why it took away part of the symptoms, but they never totally went away. Which workouts did you order?

Hi to Judy, Josie, and Lori,

Work, agility class, then home to crash.

what's everyone up to this weekend?

Good morning ladies!

Yesterday morning I did SB boot camp barre. Was 25 minutes of tabata and barre intervals. I liked it because I was able to do a higher impact modification on some of them and still keep the beat and still felt like I was doing the same workout as her. For example one of the Tabatas she kind of does a fast side to side step I just changed it to a deep speed skater or puddle jumper.

I left work at 3pm and we were on the road at 5pm so no double workout yesterday. Weather says it should clear this afternoon so hoping to get lots of biking in this weekend. Going to try and keep up with SB's challenge. Should be pretty easy because the my DS and his GF never get up as early as I do!!!!

Valerie...the surgery sounds extensive but necessary. You are so fit so you will be on your feet (lol!) in know time!!!
That stinks about your yoga studio. Hope the new place is convenient for you.

Deb...glad you are not having the same issues with these antibiotics as last time. What a nightmare that was for you. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery.

Lynda...funny you should ask about my panic attacks. I have been going to "therapy" and have had 3 or 4 visits and it is nice to talk to someone and she has helped me with exercises when I feel one comining on and things have been going well until driving to the cape last night. First time on a major highway in the dark since I started therapy. I was driving with GF as my DS was coming from CT (lol on all the initials!) and I needed to stay in the slow lane all the way as I felt like an attack was on its way as soon as I got in the middle lane. Now circumstances were extreme for me...dark, rainy and a bike rack so I was very uncomfortable before we left! Will be interesting to see how the drive home on Sunday is. Weather will be nice and the drive will be during the day so hoping no issues.

Hi to Josie and Judy!!

Hi Deb, Josie, VAlerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Bootcamp Boogie (63:00).

Deb, I always assumed amoxicillin was a pretty mild antibiotic because that's what they prescribed for my sons when they had an ear infection. Never heard of Bactrim. We're having DH's parents over for dinner tomorrow night before they head down to Florida next week. Nothing else planned this weekend. I ordered Lift it Hiit it ch, tris, fr delts, ba, bis and rear delts, lower body w/ contrast training, and Low Impact Hiit.

Lori, I hate driving in the dark and when it's raining, forget it. I'm not sure I wouldn't have a panic attack driving in the dark and rain. Several years ago there was a NYTimes magazine piece about the craziness of Boston drivers. I really don't know how my son deals with it. Whenever we visit, Boston reminds me of a European city with all kinds of narrow one-way streets, no grid like in NYC, and drivers leaning over their wheels looking slightly deranged.

That's too bad about your yoga instructor moving. I know how highly you think of her instruction. Your husband sometimes sounds very inconsiderate.

Hi to Judy and Josie.

well, we are in the news again and for a bad reason. the school shooting ( Marysville) is right down the road. we were riding the centennial trail this morning ... 26 miles ....... and started hearing sirens. lots of sirens. we got to a spot where the trail crosses a bigger road, and a sheriff went by sirens on going very very fast. we rode a few miles further and another sheriffs car sirens, and high speed. we knew something had happened but were expecting a big wreck on the freeway or something. we checked the DOT map thinking we might need a different way home but nothing showed up. so, another school shooting... so sad..

Lynda, both DH and myself are strong willed and opinionated people and sometimes we clash. we work it out.

we are now able to watch Morning Joe ... interesting. I'd given up on the network morning shows long ago but this is pretty good although I miss a lot when people talk over each other. hulu plus carries the show later the same day it was broadcast so we can watch it at lunch if we want. I'm sure our cousin showed us a condensed version but haven't found that yet.

I am sad about my yoga instructor moving but will decide after I see the new location and drive there a few times. it's right off the freeway so a few miles further, but no school buses or stoplights either. the other people in the class made it fun too, and I don't know who will follow her, and who may go to the other new location. foot is getting better each day but will be a while before I try hiking on uneven ground.

Too bad about another ebola case... I can't help thinking we should be quarantining anyone who has been working with active ebola cases. I'm sure health care workers want to return to normal when they come back but it seems like a risky situation.

Good morning, & Happy Weekend!

The weather looks like it will be nice.

Lori, you should have asked GF to drive! Good to hear that the therapist is helping.

Valerie, Very sad about the shooting. The world has gone crazy. I hope you like the new yoga place and that most, if not all of the people in your class follow this instructor. I agree on the Ebola and anyone coming back from those countries that worked with the ill people should be immediately quarantined. Symptoms or not.

Lynda, those are the workouts I will probably keep from the bundle. I will look at the clips of the others when they are posted, and decide whether or not to keep them. It looks like the majority are not really high impact. Your in-laws leave for Florida pretty early. Do they come back for the holidays?

Hi to the "money-winning" Josie, & Judy,

Take care,

We are meeting a friend for lunch today ..we'd set this up a few days ago. the restaurant is near the high school where this all took place. our friend lives very close to the school. a block or two at most. she used to work in DH's office which is also just a few blocks from the school. her sons went to school there. this mess is literally in our back yard. we are hoping it doesn't become an endless media circus.....because there is huge tribal involvement. as soon as we heard the last name we knew. very common last name in the local tribal community. once again easy access to firearms has caused a huge problem. DH listened to about 30 seconds of the first reports and summed it up in 2 words..."love triangle" and it looks like he is spot on. so sad and so much pain because an impulsive kid was disappointed and had easy access to firearms.

I realize it is a huge extra burden on people already doing a job no one really wants to do, but health care workers who have been working closely with active ebola cases need to be quarantined to some degree. WAY easier to control the number of potential contacts if those few people are held to limited contacts although I'm sure that won't be a popular idea.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.