Wen hair care

This shampoo sounds a little bit too much like "work". What's up with the thousands pumps just to shampoo your hair? Is it that thin - consistency wise? The fact that they have a pumpkin spice scent is making me want to order it though...

I purchased Wen a while back and I only used about 8 pumps but my hair was short back then. That is the only reason I don't want to start ordering it again because you have to use so much for one wash.

The Pumpkin one is very tempting, though. I may just treat myself...

Wen did not work for my hair at all. I really really wanted it to after reading all the raves reviews. I even purchased it two seperate times with hopes it would work better the second time.

My hair is shoulder length and on the thicker side. Its wavy and tends to frizz. All this product did was make it limp and look greasy.

Well, even though I was skeptical that just one use of this product would show any noticeable difference, I have to say I am now a believer! Oh my! I am really impressed!

I used my Pomegranite for the first time this morning, and the difference in the texture of my hair is amazing! It's softer, silkier and more manageable. I can't explain how it worked, but it definitely worked for me.

I used about 15 pumps and I have thick, curly, frizz-prone hair that's below my shoulders. The consistancy is like a light conditioner. It doesn't produce suds like shampoo, but does foam a bit. I left it on my hair for about 5 minutes and then rinsed.

I hope I continue to get such great results. Thanks everyone for your recommendations. :)

Thank-you for your review!! I keep checking back to see if anyone who just ordered had received their Wen yet and posted how it had worked for them. I ordered it but it is not supposed to arrive until Sept. 23!! I am so hoping it works for me though I am really worried it will do to my hair what some other posters have said - made their hair flat and oily looking. I did order the pumpkin scent... couldn't resist! And if it doesn't work for me, I will let my Mom and sister try it to see if it works for them - that way it won't be a waste of my money.

I'll post my review after I try it.

Shampoo/Conditioner--NO MORE!

Wow, think I'm going to be a Wen girl!! I tried the Pumpkin this morning and since I have very thin, fine hair I only used 4 pumps. I really saturated my hair first using "cool" water, then rubbed my hands together and put it on my hair. I added a little water and massaged it in really good. Then left it on while I finished showering and then rinsed it completely out in cool water. Yum, great smell.....even my dog was standing outside my shower door!! (too funny) My hair feels and looks clean and I'd swear it looks darker and thicker. (a BIG PLUS in my book) I preordered the Six Thirteen Cleansing Treatment from QVC and can't wait! I may even get the hubby to use the Pumpkin one, read it blocks DHT so it might help his hair loss.

I used my Wen pumpkin for the first time this morning. While I didn't notice any difference in my hair texture or anything, what I DID notice was the tingling of my scalp! It felt SO good! I almost hated to rinse it out. I don't tint or perm my hair, & it doesn't frizz or fly away, so I didn't expect a big difference, to be honest. My hair is chin length now, & it recommends 4 pumps per section. I didn't use quite that much, since it seemed pretty saturated with less, but tomorrow I'll use it as directed.

I also received my shipment of the pumpkin ginger Wen on Tues. I used it yesterday, and I was surprised at how soft my hair felt (even wet, if that makes sense). I let it naturally dry, and I didn't notice much difference in how my hair looks. But, I have fine, oily hair and I did notice that it's not oily today (I have yet to take a shower today), so that's a plus. I did use as directed, and since I've read that the more you use it, the better it is, I'll keep using it and see what happens. By the way, it smells great. And, today, my hair still smells good-not that oily greasy smell!
-Jen

IMHO, it isn't necessary to use the recommended # of pumps. My hair is past my shoulders and I use 6-8 pumps. And it has never looked better and feels/looks cleaner than it did when I used shampoo & conditioner.

A 16oz bottle has lasted about a month. That's with me using 6-8 pumps daily and my DD using about the same every other day. When we first started using it, it was disappearing like crazy until I realized that DD was using 16 pumps because "that's what the back says..." :eek: Her hair actually looked greasy until she cut it down to 6 pumps.

I also ordered the Ginger Pumpkin, just haven't tried it yet. Waiting for the perfect fall day...:D

This was my second day using it, and I figured out pretty quickly that you don't need as many pumps as they recommend. I used about 15 pumps yesterday and felt like it was too much. Today I used about 10 and it was plenty. I might even use less tomorrow.

I am still loving it! My hair has undergone a dramatic change.

I ordered a couple of bottles for myself and 3 for a friend on Friday night. I wonder how long it takes to get to the West Coast!?!

It was funny, on Friday I had intended to ask a question to this forum about this, and everyone was already talking about it and ordering. I'm anxious to try my shampoo when I get it, especially after everyone is already getting theirs and liking what it does!

Wen did not work for my hair at all. I really really wanted it to after reading all the raves reviews. I even purchased it two seperate times with hopes it would work better the second time.

My hair is shoulder length and on the thicker side. Its wavy and tends to frizz. All this product did was make it limp and look greasy.

Me, neither, and I gave it several shots. I LOVE the idea and want it to work as my hair is just like yours. Wavy, frizzy, and I have different textures in different areas. I also have scalp issues.

I switched it up from using tons the first time to cutting it back quite a bit on the number of pumps. It didn't seem to matter. My hair never felt clean and the texture never improved.

Of course, now I want to try again based on your testimonials :\.

I need to try this!

I don't shop QVC. Will waiting for a "show" to air on Oct. 1st save me any money?

I will say that I stopped using shampoo about 3 years ago when I discovered the shampoo bars from Basin. I LOVE them! There are no sulfates, all-natural, and they don't dry out my hair so I no longer use conditioner or any other hair product of any kind. I only wash my hair after a sweaty workout-otherwise I would only need to wash my hair every 2-3 days. My hair looks and feels great and I never have a "bad hair day"
The bars cost about $12 each (if I remember correctly) and last at least 2 months. (I have long, thick hair). There is very little sudsing so that takes a while to get used to.

Now with all my enabling Cathletes, I want to try WEN, too! Thanks ladies!

I think I'm going to give these a shot. Thanks for the info!

Me, neither, and I gave it several shots. I LOVE the idea and want it to work as my hair is just like yours. Wavy, frizzy, and I have different textures in different areas. I also have scalp issues.

I switched it up from using tons the first time to cutting it back quite a bit on the number of pumps. It didn't seem to matter. My hair never felt clean and the texture never improved.

Of course, now I want to try again based on your testimonials :\.

Fidget Queen - have you tried the different "scents"? I know that can be costly, but I'm curious.

My first order of Wen was the combo of Pomegranite and Sweet Almond Mint. The Sweet Almond Mint leaves my hair very limp and flat but the Pomegranite leaves if full of body and bounce. I also recently started using Fig, which is supposed to be better for color-treated hair. The results have been even better than with the Pomegranite.

Thankfully Sweet Almond Mint works well in DD's hair otherwise it would have been a waste of money.

So, used my Wen for the first time today - Ginger Pumpkin. Very easy to use - no more time or difficulty than regular shampoo and conditioner. My hair actually does feel clean, which was the part that I thought seemed most questionable. My hair feels very light and bouncy today (and I have short hair). We'll see how it wears over the course of the day and the next day or so. I never wash my hair more than every other day, so we'll see how this goes. If it goes well, I will try additional scents and see what happens long term.

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ...

OK .. got mine .. my first use was the sweet almond mint - it is AWESOME!!!! I too was kinda skeptical about the "number of pumps" ie: the AMOUNT you are supposed to use .. I have shoulder length hair .. high-lites - body but no curl -not thick but not thin (normal) hair - wear it straight w/flat iron .. tends to frizz ...

so I started .. with 5 pumps .. it almost covered the entire head - did another 5 and it was more than enough for the entire head/scalp/hair shaft and ends .. i used 3 more .. thinking .. well it said too .. i better try to do it right .. but after 3 more .. it was too much .. but I combed it thru and clipped it up and finished my bath ..rinsed at the end and here is what I experienced:

* it did tingle .. :)..my scalp felt alive and rejuvinated
* the smell was clean and energizing
* I did NOT need all those pumps .. prbly 8 -10 pumps will be MORE than enough for me (and this is about as much as I use w/my normal shampoo)
* It does lather a bit .. just as my other non laurelsulfate shampoos do ..
* it cleaned my hair very well and conditioned it very well (wasnt thinking it could possibly do both)
*it rinses clean and feels clean w/o feeling stripped
* when blowdrying i had more body but w/smoother texture .. PERFECT
* it feels silky smooth w/o being fly away or weighed down
* it smells clean and looks silky

I am VERY surprised and VERY pleasantly PLEASED w/this product ... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

once again .. GREAT GREAT suggestion Cathe .. thank you!!!!!

Last edited:
I am a lurker here on the forums and have gotten tons of information from you guys (thank you!). I just couldn't help responding regarding Wen. I too have been interested in his products. I keep my hair very very short (think Twiggy, Mia Farrow in Rosemary's baby). My hair is very frizzy/fuzzy. When I had it long it was considered wavy but it was more like wavy/frizzy/fuzzy. Now that it is short, it is very straight but can get fuzzy if no product is used. So, all of that to say this......I have found a knock off brand from Sally's Beauty Supply called Hair One. I use the Olive Oil formula for dry hair. To me, it is the same as Wen just much cheaper (9.99). HTH

Nola504,

Thanks for the tip. I actually bought some of this "Hair One" on the way home tonight. Apparently it is the "generic", "knock-off" version of WEN.

Of course, I already ordered a sample of the WEN because I got so excited reading all these reviews. Now I can compare them and I will report back. (12 oz of Hair One cost me $11 without a Sally card)

For those of you who tried one of the WEN formulas and it didn't work for you but others are suggesting that you try a different formula; the QVC website had a "sample" pack with all 6 of their regular formulas (not Ginger Pumpkin) in 6oz (travel size, 60 pumps per bottle) for $59. That's what I ordered. A bit pricey, but I can try them all and see what if I want to invest more and in what formulas...and I'll have the handy travel-size bottles to refill for later.

I'll report back on whether I think the Hair One is equal to the WEN!

Thanks for this thread and all the valuable info!!

PLEASE STOP!!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO tempted by this thread but I don't want to spend any more money.

No really...I do want to hear more about your experiences with WEN. Too bad you can't do exchanges if one product doesn't work for your hair. I don't want to get a sample pack to find that one works and the rest don't. What would I do with the rest?

I have a lot of hair, but the strands are fine. The top and sides are straight but the back of my hair is wavy. :confused: (DD's hair is worse than mine.) My hair is past my shoulders Anyone out there use WEN with that kind of hair? I'd love to hear about your results.

Fidget Queen - have you tried the different "scents"? I know that can be costly, but I'm curious.

My first order of Wen was the combo of Pomegranite and Sweet Almond Mint. The Sweet Almond Mint leaves my hair very limp and flat but the Pomegranite leaves if full of body and bounce. I also recently started using Fig, which is supposed to be better for color-treated hair. The results have been even better than with the Pomegranite.

Thankfully Sweet Almond Mint works well in DD's hair otherwise it would have been a waste of money.

I have tried every scent, mixing them, using them seperately, etc etc. Nothing works. I guess my hair just does not respond to it!

QVC?

WTH? I was looking at WEN products and came back to my cart about an hour later, all the shipping prices had increased by 3 or so dollars per item. Am I crazy? I've never used QVC before, how have your experiences been?

^^ a veggiegirl, maybe we can get a *new wen users from cathe* thread exchange going where we can swap out products w/ each other.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.