SOUTH BEACH DIET SUCCESS!!!

Kramer1

Hi everyone. This is my first time post, although I've been reading other posts for a while. I've been a Cathe-exerciser for years, can't say enough good about her fitness tapes! Okay - I have finally had success losing my last ten lbs. with the low-carb diet, believe it or not. I was not a believer because I eat very healthy anyway )90% of the time). Well, my husband and I are doing the South Beach Diet - we're following it just about exactly to the letter for maximum results. I've lost 6 lbs. in 9 days! The first 5 days I lost 5 lbs. It BLEW ME AWAY! I didnt even exercise that hard. He's also lost a few lbs but he doesnt have much to lose so I dont care about him (just kidding).

So, after exercising 5-6 days per week and eating "good", I was just maintaining at 132 (i'm only 5'2"). So, I'm now at 126 and haven't seen that number in years!!!!!! I'm going for 122!! The book is worth the buck ($18) - for two weeks you have a strict diet - no breads, pasta, potatoes, carrots, fruit, candies. You eat a lot of different veggies, eggs, any lean meats. If you have any questions, please post. Good luck!

That sounds amazing! It is completely no carbs? For 14 straight days? Not even on the weekends? I ask that because my husband used to participate in bodybuilding shows and his diet was strict, but on the weekends he would go off it. Sounds tough, really tough. How is your energy level?

Susan C.M.

Hi Susan. No its not a no-carb, its low-carb or a right-carb diet. My energy level is pretty good. Working out with no problem. You have to eat VERY often. Usually eggs/veggies in a.m. with like a v-8, (my husband has pure o.j. even though fruit isnt allowed). Usually you eat your snacks such as: turkey rollup on boston lettuce with an amazing cilantro mayo made with soy sauce/garlic - excellent, other snacks are string cheese/celery stick, cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes, etc. Lunch can be tuna with greens/low-carb dressing. Also we made gazpacho (or low-carb soup). Your biggest thing is look at the carbs on whatever youre making! My husband is a big starch fan so its been hard on him with NO BREAD OR CEREAL. We're on day 12 tomorrow and we've been very good. I have to admit I've had a few M&M's but, better to have 10-12 once a week rather than packages every night! You can treat yourself to steak or lobster tail, any seafood. We've had orange roughy first time - loved it (and we dont like most fish!) So, we've found lots of great new recipes. We're going skiing this weekend for a few days and we know we'll be eating cereal and fruit at this lodge, but we actually cant wait to have cereal - yeah! Eggs get to you after a while, but we're hanging in there. So, just figure you have to adjust it or "tweak" it a LITTLE to make it through these first two weeks. Dont know what the Phase II two weeks will bring, but will keep you posted. It's not quite as tough as it sounds - you get to eat all the time, and the food choices are actually very good. The only thing you might get tired of (and they do say that it is a strict 2-weeks) is the eggs and the "salads". I was trying to find low-carb baked goods to take skiing cuz our friend brings all these cookies/brownies. I finally found them on the Jenny Craig website - and made choc. chip cookies, cinnamon-apple muffins and a cheddar-jack cheese ball - this should last our friends for the weekend!!
Hope this helps, and I sure hope my weight stays off, and continues!! Feels so good!

Thanks so much for sharing this! I love eggs and seafood, but I think the no breads would be difficult. This time of year I need to eat warmer foods like soup. If I can find enough recipes for low carb I think I'll try this diet plan. Have a great time skiing and keep me posted on Phase II.

Susan C.M.

Thanks for sharing. I have been on the diet for 3 days and I am starving. Were you hungry in Phase 1?

JoJo

Well, not exactly starving. Are you going by the book?? Because it tells you everything you are supposed to eat. I know one of those breakfasts said two quiche cups which was real lame. You need three, plus your v-8 juice. I usually eat breakfast at 7:30 and eat my snack at about 10ish. As long as you stick to the usual things they tell you to eat, the cheese, even sugar-free jello. I get the convenient packed kind - very portable. Don't starve whatever you do - I know my husband was a bit hungry on the diet a couple days in, and the book says dont starve so I would tell him to eat more of whatever he needed to be filled up. Of course, he was used to his breads and his mashed potatoes. I kind of like eating without the potatoes and breads because I d feeling like I over-ate and was stuffed. Let me know how you make out. Just came back from 3-day skiing and had to improvise somewhat. Of course, I'm starting the 2nd two weeks and Phase II so I'm supposed to start adding in things like strawberries, yogurt.. So we'll keep you posted. All I can say is I did about 30 runs per day downhill skiing, I better have burnt up enough calories!!!
Signed - Tired Legs Tonight!!

Hi. I'm checking in just to let you know that I did gain 2 lbs. back out of the 6 so far. It didn't help my husband's b-day we went out to dinner, and then I was modifying the diet even though I want to start Phase II which re-introduces some fruit, some bread items. I think I just put too many on one day (along with my glass of white wine/night). Then, I just screwed up my back, going to my chiropractor in 15 minutes - cant wait!! Then I can start exercising again. I think when I start to do the plank work it really taxes my back, so I'm going to try to work a little at a time on my core region because I know its soooooo important. Does anybody else have problems with the plank work?? So now anyway with this diet, I bought the food for starting Phase II, but I'm also going to try to be more strict like Phase I to try to get those other 2 lbs. off. It felt wonderful - I feeling pudgy!! Happy Friday everybody!!

I tried this for 4 days and was very hungry and very weak. I did feel lighter, however. But, due to my intense workouts, I stopped it. I am certain it must work, but I need my energy.

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/l

RE: SOUTH BEACH DIET - MODIFIED?

Hi. That's too bad it didn't work for you. I'm sure it won't be for everyone. My husband and I went about 10-11 days and then LIFE got in the way, and we kind of modified the diet. We were supposed to go to Phase II but we took a week off (didnt try to!!) and a couple of lbs. came back, but I think it was because we had too many of the bad carbs, so we've backed up to the Phase I week 2 diet, but WE ARE MODIFYING SOMEWHAT. Like, I love peanut butter for the "energy". So, I think if you dont eat a lot of starches - potatoes, pasta and breads, you'll be okay actually. But, it is a lot of work to eat all day long and I can see if you dont eat everything on the diet, you will be hungry. Good luck with your workouts!

Hi:

I have been finally consistent with my working out schedule and now need to firm up my diet plan. Can you please give me more information about this diet? Also how did you do without fruits?

Thanks,
Stacy

I thought no fruit sounded bad too, but it's only for two weeks. Plus I found out the bananas and apples and pineapple are really full of sugar. Find a Dr. Atkins Carbohydrate guide - and it will kind of help you to see what fruits are better than others. I have put in 1/2 grapefruit in a.m. (white one less sweet and used equal)because I love them. Also after two weeks you can have LOTS of strawberries!!

I found if I didnt let my husband get all of his processed starches in like pasta/macaronis/potato dishes that really helps. Whenever I eat them I feel like I'm a stuffed pig! With veggies you dont feel like that and you can keep eating and eating. I've gone thru so much olive oil with this diet, its amazing! Haven't bought margarine in a month, just use pam cooking spray and can't believe its not butter spray.

I would recommend going to the book store and kind of reading through the different menu ideas.

When I started losing my weight - I lost an inch off my chest which I never do, my arms - which I was so happy!! and my waist and hips, about 3-4 inches. You really start seeing those abs when you take off the weight. I really think I have better luck losing weight when I do more cardio than weights. (To each their own!!)

Good luck. Like the one said she was hungry - and you might be especially the first two days - you have to just eat more of whatever they tell you to eat - like eggs, and the meat - whatever it takes to get you filled up. But I find I eat at 8:00 10:00 12:30, 3:00 6:00 and 8-8:30. It's kind of fun cuz you say gee, I'm a little hungry, you look at the clock and you say yep I can eat something again!!

HI Kramer1 and other South beach dieters,
I am thinking of starting this program to get the holiday 5 lbs off, plus the other 10 lbs I still needed to lose. I am 5'1.5" and weigh 125 lbs. I am small boned/petite, so I do think 110 lbs is a reasonable goal weight for me.

Anyways, I have the book, and I absolutly can NOT eat cheese. I never have been able to. The smell,taste, even thought of it makes me sick. I am wondering what your opinions are about how this may impact my success on this. Would I just substitute other snack or meal items when they call for cheese sticks or cheese in the recipes? I am also curious if you have to follow each menu for all 14 days, or can you take the meals and recipes you like and have more of them and substitute where there is a menu item you don't care for throughout Phase 1?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

That's a tough one - they do have a lot of cheese on this diet, cottage cheese, other cheese. The thing with these diets is they get so repetitious!! I've modified a lot of things in this diet. May not be a good idea, but I like to eat a variety of things. So, I would say yes, modify with some other choice if you want to. At least I moved myself from my plateau so I'm working with that for now!

My father's doctor wants him to go on this diet. I know two people who have followed this diet to a "T" and I have literally watched them shrink in size. It is amazing. I hope my mom goes on it also. I wonder for someone who wants to lose a maximum of 8 to 10 pounds if you could skip phase 1 and just begin the diet at phase 2? Good luck!
Angela:7

Just so everyone knows, I only know what I read in the book and hear elsewhere! I think this diet will especially help people who have alot more to lose than the 10 lbs. you and I want to lose. I also have found it hard to follow this to a T after the first 10-11 days. I did see results, and have continued to keep off the "big 4 lbs." I was watching Extreme Makeover the other night (love that show) and these people work out with this personal trainer who I think knows what he's talking about. He said your muscles definitely need carbs which this diet does give you, but I'm trying to be sensible about getting enough. I dont think you or I have to go "as nuts" on this diet as you might think. We'll wait and see if I continue to lose weight.

What you might want to do is do the first 10 days of Phase I because it gets you used to eating the right things. Then try to go to Phase II. I have been eating right, but not following day by day. Starting today I am doing Day 7 of Phase II through the week. Just once in a while I'm substituting different dinners, but keeping within their guidelines. What I try not doing is having cereal in am. and bread later too. I've only had pasta twice in 4 weeks, and one piece of pizza. Bread is lasting forever in our house! Bagels and english muffins are getting wasted!! Ha ha.

I do try to eat my spinach and some peanut butter - helps for energy for me. I still only eat fruit occasionally, but having strawberries at night!! (even chocolate-covered once in a while). I wish you luck and I hope you start shrinking too!!

Hi !
I started phase 1 yesterday (sunday). I read the book and have been getting info online. I am very tired today (day 2), but I see this is normal. I am hoping for success as I gained 5 lbs since New Years and had 10 to lose before that. Hopefully this will work for me. It is hard not having oatmeal and toast. In two weeks I look forward to slowly adding it back in my diet. I wonder how many others on this board have done SOuth Beach? Please share if you have any info/experience or advice!

Thanks Kramer1 for all your sharing,

Hi everyone,
I bought this book last summer,forgetting that it was low carb! I am not a low carb fan b/c I beleive everything should be in moderation but there is so much talk about it now...that I am actually wondering? It is very tempting. I work with a lady who is doing the Atkins diet.She losts weight a few years ago and is keeping it off even though she is not totally strict with her diet.
The other part that made me put the book down,Your not aloud to drink coffee, are you? The lady I work with drinks coffee all the time.I love my coffee and wouldn't be able to give it up.
My DH eats very little carbs.Not on purpose but he just loves meat,eggs,bacon..etc.If I make him breakfast,the toast is always left behind.And he is a very slim man.5'9" and 137 lbs.I think this is why I am so concerned about my weight b/c I don't want to weigh more then DH:eek: :)
I am still very interested in taking this book out again.I just don't know if I can be that strict.I love sweets and bread.
Keep us posted on your progress,I love reading stories like this.
Lori:)

Hi Lori - I think I have good news for you. You dont have to give up your coffee. I have two cups of caffeinated coffee in the a.m., a little milk and EQUAL (no sugar). It sweetens coffee just the same. The sweets - I prefer chocolate. I have an m&m machine at my house!! And I eat a few handfuls every day (about 15-20) becuz my body needs it! I dont think thats too bad cheating - not compared to eating a whole bag of m&ms or having cookies, etc. Again, like you say use moderation. A cookie here or there isnt going to kill you. Just dont do these things if you can help it for about 10 days till you start to jar your metabolism. I think the two weeks is kind of strict so I say 10 days. I think for everyone you have to modify it or you go off it for good. The bread I would not have any breads/muffins for the two weeks. I have very little now, but again maybe a few times a week if you have it. Now, then, I have cereal few mornings/week so thats considered bread. I think if you dont overload everything with sugar on one day you're okay.

I think you should try it. How much do you want to lose? I'm still maintaining 5 lbs. off, but am aiming for another 5. Good luck!

Do you find that you are not as bloated? I get very bloated in the evenings but I don't eat very many carbs. Normally my last meal of the day would be some rice (not much)meat and veggies.I just ordered some new pants to wear to work b/c I find that in the p.m I am uncomfortable in m other pants. I don't need to lose any weight but I want to.Right now I am 5'4" and weigh 129.The smallest I can remember being (in my adult life) is 123 and I could probably there again with alot of dedication and hardwork.

No I dont have any problem with bloating. The only type I feel that way is when I overeat. That little rice might not be much, but it depends on what else you've eaten and how much. I'm 5'2 and now am around 126. I've kept off about 6 lbs. which doesn't seem like much, but on our small frames, I think it is. Might I add I WISH I was 5'4 - probably 129 is just fine for you! I have noticed alot though that you do lose the belly fat by cutting out the breads and sugars, and thats where most of us, including me needs to lose it. Have a great day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.