How working out helped me through to hard times

Tammie

Hi! My name is Tammie I am a breast cancer survivor for 6 years now. I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 36. I had a radical mestectomy but thankfully no chemo or radiation. I had reconstrutive surgery. It is a tramatic and difficult sickness and it takes a lot of mental as well as physical strength to overcome. Working out helped me through all the surgeries I was able to get up without help the same day of the surgeries because my legs were strong. After the doctor said I could return to my workouts I did. Which prepared me for the final reconstructive surgery. I recovered, and for 6 years I have worked out and worked at a physical job. On June 18 of 2004 my impant ruptured on the side I had the mestectomy. Of course my doctor was out of town for two weeks and I could"nt see him till July 16. We scheduled my surgery as soon as he could fit me in. I went to surgery August 3 2004. When I woke up the doctor informed me that the pocket of my implant had closed up. I had a tissue expander (something that stretches out your skin a little at a time) and a drain tube. Needless to say I was shocked and depressed and especially when I found out I could'nt work or work out at least 3 months. I had 3 surgeries in 5 months and I finally go back to work january 3. I did my first workout yesterday to Cathe and although I am sore it feels great. I didn't gain any weight but I did lose muscle. But with Cathe's help I know I will be in better condition the I was before. I here people at work say that don't eat healthy, Smoke, and don't work out" say, "oh you have to die of something" Well guess what sometimes you don't die, and lying around weak and depressed with no hope of getting better is I feel a living death. So Girls and guys get up and workout, eat healthy, because one day you to may face an illness and believe me being healthy at the onset has you already ahead of the game. Tammie;)

Tammie, thank you for sharing your story with us. I am so glad for you that you've overcome this illness and so glad that fitness is such an important part of your life. You are a shining example of how important a healthy livestyle is for all of us.

Congratulations and good luck with your continued fitness journey and keep those workouts going!! :) :)

Jo

What an inspiring story, Tammie. Thank you so much for sharing that with us all!:)

I have seen so many in my family and in my friends families pass on from cancer and it's just so wonderful to hear about those who fought it and won!

I have been exercising rather avidly for about 2 years now and I am so glad that I have stuck to it! It has improved my life in so many ways!

Thanks again and best wishes for healthy and happy New Year!

~Wendy~

We don't stop laughing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop laughing...Put more laughter into your life.

Thank you for sharing, I am now facing Cancer myself, and not sure whats gonna go down. I still workout and eat well, and HOPE for the best, reading your post does give me hope.............:*

I have so much respect for you and thank you for sharing your inspirational story. We all need to start taking care of ourselves for health reasons and not so much for vanity. Kudos to you.

Susan

Hi Tammie,
I also have cancer; advanced colon cancer diagnosed when I was days short of my 38th birthday in June 2004. I have been through 2 6-month rounds of chemo and I have exercised through it all when I can. I am so thankful Cathe came out with some beginner videos because I just can't handle any of the advanced ones just yet. But I plan to try them agian as I build up my stamina.

I was in great shape when I got diagnosed and I really feel strongly that helped my body handle the chemo. Getting and staying fit is so important in my fight against this disease. ANd so it is for you.

Keep fighting!

Joyce

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.