Finally got healthy!

daimma

In January 2005 my weight was at an all-time high. At age 31, I had high cholesterol and had suffered a blood clot in my leg. MY BMI was 30, which is considered obese. My hematologist reminded me that obesity increases your risk for blood clot recurrence, which I knew, but him telling me really drove it home. I committed to finally get healthy - with my family history of heart disease, it wasn't a matter of looking cute, but a matter of life or death. I knew I could no longer make excuses - I had to start NOW or risk some serious health consequences. I lost almost 60 pounds in about 10 months. I made smart food choices, but didn't give up anything - I don't have a "Can't Eat" list; I just don't eat unhealthy foods all the time (I try to live by the 90/10 rule - I definitely still splurge on occasion!!). The biggest change is that I started exercising regularly, and found that for the first time, I actually enjoyed it! I joined a gym and bought some DVDs, included Cathe's. I can now do the more advanced workouts like Kick Max - they really challenge me; I can get through them, yet there's plenty of room for improvement. My cholesterol is down below 200, my blood pressure is lower, I'm stronger, and I have way more energy and endurance. I ran a 5K over the summer, which I never in my life thought I'd do, and I'm planning a 10K in the spring. This is impressive for me, because previously I couldn't run around the block. As far as keeping motivated to exercise, I tell myself that since exercise benefits every facet of life, it'd be so inefficient to put it at the bottom of my priority list. Get through this one hour of working out, and I'll feel so much better about myself, and will reap the rewards of an active, healthy lifestyle. I find Cathe to be positive and very motivating without being obnoxiously perky - perfect motivation for me!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.