Beginner's Rotation Clean Eating/Weights Check-in

cferrante

:)

Hello everyone. A newcomer to the boards asked Cathe how she can loose 25 - 50 pounds with the new beginner/intermediate DVDs as well as some others she has. Here was Cathe's response:

I would suggest that you start easily and work your way up in intensity. Here is a suggestion:

First Three Weeks:

Mon: New DVD #1/Basic Step
Tues: New DVD #1/Upper body Sculpt
Wed: New DVD #1/ Basic step
Thurs: New DVD #1/Lower Body Sculpt
Fri: New DVD #1/Basic Step
Sat: 40 minute walk/run plus New DVD #1/Ab workout
Sun: Rest

Next Three Weeks:

Mon: New DVD #1/Body Fusion
Tues: 30 minute walk/run
Wed: New DVD #1/upper and lower body sculpt plus ab work
Thurs: 30 minute walk/run (mostly run if you can)
Fri: New DVD #1/Body Fusion
Sat: A 30 to 60 minute stretch workout of your choice

Next Three Weeks:

Mon: New DVD #2/High Step Circuit
Tues: One workout from Cardio Hits
Wed: 30 minute run plus 10 minutes of Ab Hits plus 10 minute stretch
Thurs: New DVD #2/High Step Circuit
Fri: One workout from Cardio Hits
Sat: 30 minute run plus 10 minutes of Ab Hits plus 10 minute stretch
Sun:Rest

Next Three Weeks:

Mon: Timesaver workout #1
Tues: Timesaver workout #2
Wed: Timesaver workout #3
Thurs: Timesaver workout #4
Fri: Timesaver workout #5
Sat: 30 minute run plus a 30 minute stretch workout
Sun: off

Next Three Weeks:

Mon: ME
Tues: One of Cardio Hits
Wed: ME
Thurs: One of Cardio Hits
Fri: 45 minute run plus DVD #1/upper body sculpt
Sat: One of Cardio Hits plus DVD #1/lower Body sculpt

Good Luck!

I don't have the new DVDs yet so I can't begin Cathe's rotation, but here are my goals for the remainder of this week:

Reduce by 1/3 - 1/2 my intake of processes foods and sugar.

Exercise at least 1/2 hour every day choosing among the following:

- Cathe weight tapes (do upper and lower body on different days)
- Firm tapes
- Walking Baby in stroller/with beagle
- Riding my new upright retro cruising bike (www.sunbicycles.com)with Baby Angelina in back

ok... I am here too! Fairly new to Cathe and about 3 months into a new eating and fitness program..... I have lost about 20 pounds loosely following the South Beach Diet and working out to the Firm... I need to lose about 60 more....

About a month ago... I moved onto Cathe.... I am waiting on the new beginner DVD's plus I ordered and received already the Body Blast series and some others....

This morning it was Supersets from the Body Blast series.... tommorrow it is KPC.... Cathe has turned me on to kickboxing and I have seen unbelieveable results since I started doing the kickboxing section on the TimeSaver DVD.... that convinced me to buy the whole Body Blast series plus some kickboxing by other instructors...

I can't wait for the new DVD's... as the Body Blast is definately a challenge and something I need to work with slowly... I think the new DVD's will be just the ticket!

Hi everyone!

Wow!! I'm so happy that rotation has pulled us all together to get fit! Thanks soooooooo much! I think this makes it all so much more fun.:)

I too have been working out pretty regularly the past few months, but not intensely enough I think as my old videos are just that...old...at least for me....and not challenging anymore. Until I get the new DVD's I will focus on some weight training and walking/running.

I have some of Cathe's other workouts also, and had the same experience...they're awesome and challenging and I know will get me in great shape, once I "graduate" to them! They were tough! We'll all get there though, but I thought the new DVD's would be the best place to start.

What is the South Beach Diet like? I've been looking into the clean eating and it sounds marvelous. I just need to plan a little better for my meals and really need to get past the cravings for sweets. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Since it's a holiday weekend coming up I know already there will be some challenges food wise. I'm going to get everything ready in my kitchen for the clean eating....stocking up on healthy foods. Good thing it's summer and there are lots of great fruits and veggies out there.

What do you guys think? Daily or weekly check in's? Or just whenever we want? I am really enjoying this forum and all of us doing this together. It will really help me stay focused and motivated when there are others holding me accountable!

:7 Nicole

Hi:

For me, especially regarding clean eating, a daily or every-other-day checkin is best. My life has lots of stressors and it's so easy for me to wimp out! I need all the help and accountability I can get :D

Nicole...

The South Beach diet as you probably know is a lower carb/low fat diet but not as low as Atkins.... my doctor recommended it to me as I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and women with PCOS do better usually with lower carb... I started pretty strict with SB but, then have worked it around till I am kind of doing my own moderate carb/higher protein/moderate fat plan..pretty much clean eating... with only healthy carbs, careful fats and protein every time I eat. I do splurge every two weeks or so and have whatever I want and it is working great for me.

I think my workouts ( now Cathe workouts) are really helping keeping my weight loss going...

Daily or weekly check in is great for me!either way!

Christina,
Thanks for getting this check-in set up for us!

Hi All,
I hope this will be that added motivation for all of us so we can have a great summer exercising and losing weight and also getting to know others that are facing the same challenges. A little about me - I am 51 and metabolically and hormonally challenged (hypothyroid, perimenopause, etc) so the last few years have been tough. Gaining weight easily and losing has been difficult to non existent! Also just recovered from plantar fasciitis so that limited even walking for 7 months. Capability wise I think I am more intermediate but with motivation and getting myself into a regular routine definitely a beginner. Need to lose at least 50#s and go to Weight Watchers. Actually eat well most of the time so hoping exercise will help the scale start to move in the right direction. My main time to exercise is in the morning before work although having trouble sleeping latley so that has made it hard for me to get out of bed at 4am. Hoping this check-in will help motivate me and make me feel more accountable. The upcoming Holiday weekend will give many of us some extra challenges. What is a holiday without food??? But my goal is to try to make good food choices and watch portions sizes. Also to try to exercise as often as I can. The dog needs to lose some weight so he can use some walks too. Have a 2 mile walk on Memorial Day - Hubbie will be running 5. My goal last year was to do the 2 mile run but due to PF, I am just thrilled to be able to walk it. So now my long term goal besides losing all this poundage and fat is to be able to run 2 miles by next Memorial Day!
Marie

Hi!

I'm also in the position of being both a beginner to Cathe, and attempting once again to conquer "clean eating". I'm motivated by the fact that I'm just about to finish my dissertation and finally be granted a Ph. D. - but needless to say, the last five years of graduate school has not been kind to my eating habits. I'm 27 years old, 5'5", and 149 pounds (have lost 6 since MARCH - need to move faster!). I workout 4-5 times per week, with the goal of increasing this to 6.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel like I can eat clean as a whistle for MOST of the day, but when I'm finally done working at 7:00 or after, its like I need to suspend my attention doing something, and lots of times that involves reaching for the nearest bag of chips or heading out to my favorite restaurant and having appetizers. Its not binging per se, but there's definitely a quality of mindlessness to it (Funny how I never reach for strawberries or vegetables!). I really think if I could find something else that serves that same function of allowing my attention and focus to let go for a few minutes, I'd be good to go. Cathe's forums are actually serving that purpose now (get on them as soon as I get home) but I know myself and that this might not last forever. It would be great if others have experienced this and have things they've tried!

This forum is a great idea!

I received my notification the new Cathe DVDs are on their way and due to arrive June 1! Happee Dance :)

Yesterday I did the Firm's new yoga workout and Cathe Slow and Heavy legs. Yowza!

Both my DH and I have bouts of plantar facitis (sp?). It truly sucks. My sympathies to those who suffer from it.

As for clean eating, I did reduce my salt and sugar intake yesterday--significantly. Perhaps that accounts for the pounding headache I have....

I received my notification on the new DVD's late yesterday as well! Will get them on Tuesday...

I did the 40 minute pre-mix of KPC this morning and what a great workout! I just love that DVD.... it is the most fun.... and the pre-mixes are great... one of these days I am going to do the whole workout as is.

I have been reading reviews of the new workouts on other forums and they sound great!

Hi,
I'm fairly new to Cathe too and I am about the same proportionate (over) weight as you (5'3" 145lb). I want to say congratulations on getting your Ph.D, and at 27 years old! I work in public health and know alot of women who have done their Ph.Ds, though most acheived this incredible accomplishment in their late 30's. I have done some wonderful professional work in PH over the past 10 years, but at 42 years of age I am going back to school beginning with a 10 credit summer class at community college. Yes, I am still working on my Bachelor's, but I'm happy to say I am half way there anyway. I grew up in England in the seventees where it just wasn't the norm to go to college, and I was just eager to get out and work and be independent from my parents (which was very easy to do in London at the time). So, I have been taking classes on and off for the past 13 years in this country. I now have twin boys aged 3 so it is going to be a real challenge this time.

I have been exercising in one form or another for around 20 years, so the only barrier to getting through the Cathe tapes is finding the time though I have been making it a priority. My success killer is my addiction to sugar. I have such a sweet tooth and I sometimes get a craving at my desk at work and I'll go get in my car and drive to starbucks even if it's only an hour until it's time to leave. I am going to try really hard this weekend and make a point of not buying cookies or chocolate. Until now, and being British, I always think of cookies (or biscuits) as a perfectly acceptable part of the staple diet. I will be following the other ladies here too.

By the way, in what field is your Ph.D?

Linda

Hi Linda!

First of all, let me say how much admiration I have for you for going back to school in pursuit of a degree, especially with twins. I actually think your willingness to do this is a sign that you will be able to meet your fitness goals too - you're not afraid to take a pretty big step that you know will be challenging!

My Ph.D. will be in clinical psychology, and I've already started my first job doing clinical work (therapy, assessment) with eating disorders, as well as teaching courses as the University of Georgia. I really love doing therapy, and am especially fired up about my clients who in a lot of ways are like most of us who have heard the powerful and detrimental messages that we need to be "thin" (as opposed to focusing on our health). My real goal in life is to help these women listen to and honor their bodies, which to me involves not hating it, moving it and enjoying the way exercise FEELS (not just doing it to reach an end), and recognizing that deprivation only makes us hate ourselves more because we are pitting our bodies against us as they try to survive starvation.

So, I am actually interested in the concept of "clean eating" for this reason too. I'm doing an experiment of sorts in learning whether NOT focusing on calories, but on eating when by body tells me to, and making it nutritious, will be effective. I took some advice this week from another forum member who responded on the Ask Cathe forum to one of my questions, and I have to say she was right. I added more fiber and variety, and was able to eat really clean this week, and I feel great! I'm like you with sweets though, and am trying to prepare for when my cravings come on strong to challenge these changes.

Glad you joined, and as we are of similar physical dimension, I'm excited to support you and hear how things go (and any formulas for success!). What Cathe videos do you own as of now? I want so many more, but as of now have Maximum Intensity Cardio (a butt-kicker but my absolute favorite video of all time), Maximum Intensity Strength, Mega-Step Blast, and Interval Max.

Keep posting!!

Hi everyone!

I was really excited to find this rotation and although I do not have all the workouts included (I don't have Cardio Hits or the new Beginner High step circuit) I think I can substitute other workouts and follow Cathe's plan pretty closely (and my birthday is this summer so I'm planning to get the new Beginner/Intermediate High Step Circuit and a High Step as a birthday present for myself).

I should receive the new Basic Step/Body Fusion DVD next Fri (June 4th) and I plan to start then (DH is on vacation this next week which really makes it hard for me to workout - he works shift work and we get very little time together).

I do need to lose weight. I was exercising pretty regularly until DH & I started building a house this past fall. We have finally moved and I am ready to get started again. I have done Cathe's weight workouts in the past (Cardio & Weights Timesaver PreMix Compound and Heavy Weights) but so far I have not caught onto her step so I am very excited about this new step workout for beginners. And of course, I definitely need to clean up my eating. I hope that all of you do not mind if I join you on this check-in.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

~Sissy B

Welcome Sissy! I think this will be good for us struggling to get us going in the right direction and know that we are not alone.

Had a sore throat and congested Friday & Saturday so took it easy - so many people at work sick. But feeling better after a long nap on Saturday. Worked out at the club this morning doing weights and treadmill w/ DH. Monday I am doing a 2 mile walk while Hubbie does the 5 mile run. Tuesday my new DVDs arrive and excited to get these but I work out in the morning so won't be able to do one until Wednesday but can start thinking of a plan. Reviews have been great!

Hi

I'm new to Cathe's workouts (here in the UK) and received my first dvds last week.

Really need to loose around 21lbs and would love more UB definition. Had a disaster over the last 6 weeks doing Atkins - just didn't work for me and actually gained a few lbs!! :(

Started doing CTX the end of last week, following a rotation Cathe suggested (also using IMAX2/C&W). Really enjoying the workouts although some of the choreography seems a bit daunting! Still got that nice achey feeling! Working out 6x week so hopefully this will help shift those stubborn lbs.

Will post again when I hopefully start seeing results,
Andrea
:)

Hi everyone! Count me IN! Great idea!

My new DVD's are on the UPS truck and out for delivery!!!

~kandy~[/img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif[/img]

Hanging my head in shame! Staying in bed was more appealing at 4am then exercising but knowing that I am accountable to reporting in made me feel guiltier so hoping tomorrow morning will be better. Rain held out so I did the 2 mile walk on Memorial Day. Is a 16 minute mile ok? I came in last (6 of 6)in my age (50-54) but didn't think that was all that bad esp my first major effort since graduating from PF therapy. Does having short legs make a difference? I felt like I was moving fast but maybe just all the extra pounds???

Hoping to give a better report tomorrow. My new DVDs should be waiting for me tonight so will have that and not wanting to hang my head in shame 2 days in a row as my motivation tomorrow morning!

Hope others are doing better today.

Clean eating is hard!!!

Fellow Beginners:

I have been doing great with workouts - it is SO MUCH EASIER to commit to exercise than clean eating though! I have been getting my butt out of bed each morning at 7:00 and working out - even doing pretty hard workouts (MIC) and have already noticed my cardiovascular endurance improving.

Clean eating is where I keep falling off the wagon - I know all the stuff I'm supposed to eat, and am successful a lot of the time in circumventing mindless snacking. But give me a long day at work when I maybe haven't eaten enough, and that's it when I get home.

In writing this, though, I'm actually coming to some realizations. I've been reading a lot of eating disorders stuff for my job as a therapist and learning about the role of deprivation in snacking later. So, I thought over the day, and I definitely didn't eat enough during the day to prevent my evening snacking from happening. So, although I'm a little discouraged right now, I'm feeling less so, because it actually seems to be more about my body needing to get its nutritional needs met than me lacking willpower. So, I'm glad that maybe I've learned a valuable lesson that I can use tomorrow...

How's everyone else doing on clean eating?

RE: Clean eating is hard!!!

I agree. Clean eating is EXTREMELY HARD for me. After a long day of work and then taking care of hubby and baby at night, I want to reward myself with food! I need to come up with something that's equally rewarding but doesn't involve calories...

I received all three new DVDs last night and previewed the beginner DVD. I can't wait to try them. I planned to do the Step or Lower Body last night, but my daughter Angelina had a fever and it was hard to get her to sleep. By the time I did, I didn't want to work out. I just wanted to talk with my hubby, Geo. Also, it was Geo's B-day yesterday.

So far today I'm on track with the clean eating :) Wish me luck for the rest of the day!

RE: Clean eating is hard!!!

Yeah - I got up at 4am and did the Step workout (new DVD #1) this morning. Hope this is just the first of many mornings so I can establish a regular routine.

As far as eating, I thought I was doing ok but just eating as usual I weighed in with a 3# increase at WW mtg this morning. Maybe just a hormonal blip but why don't those blips go the other way? Was using a HRT patch but took it off Saturday thinking maybe that is causing my eyes to feel so dry and wake me up during the night. Just have to love peri-menopause!!!

Excited about my new DVDs. Maybe Body Fusion tomorrow morning??

Christina - hope your daughter is feeling better!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.