Working out and breastfeeding

Tammyspq

Cathlete
Hey all! I have a couple questions for anyone that can answer...I am usually an avid runner but haven't while pregnant 'cause it's just no fun - babies been on my bladder from early on. However, I plan to start as soon as possible post-partum (I'm currently 32 1/2 weeks) and wanted to know if there are any "tricks" for breast support and any recommendations for when to run (e.g. immediately after a feeding or...??)

Also, I think I read somewhere not to breastfeed (or at least to beware of) soon after strength training due to lactic acid build up getting into the breast milk. There are so many myths out there but wanted to know if there is any guide for such considerations that you all might be aware of.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to figure out how this all will affect my life. Obviously, this is my first...

Thanks!! jeni

Howdy jeni -- When I was bf-ing my first I had no problems with nursing her right after a tough weights workout (or cardio for that matter). A lactation consultant told me when I was pg that most women don't have problems; she suggested that the buildup of lactic acid is so small that babies don't notice it. But that's just my experience, maybe others have differing perspectives???

Some books that helped me: LaLecheLeague's book, "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" or "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Kathleen Huggins (I *think* that's her name!!). If I recall correctly they say pretty much the same thing about nursing after a workout.

Good for you for wanting to get back on track! Don't let the sleepless nights discourage you -- working out will help the "baby blues" and will give you the energy you'll definitely need! Good luck! :)

Support while running

You may find that you are just too heavy, especially if you haven't nursed in a while, to be comfy in the traditional, single bra fashion. In that case, doubling up sports bras can be a lifesaver! Don't worry about nursing accessibily unless you're taking baby along in a jogging stroller and planning to take a nursing break mid workout. Of course, you'll always be more comfortable if you let the baby "drain" the load before you start, but that isn't always possible, especially if you're heading out early before the baby gets up.

The lactic acid buildup, if I remember correctly, was only documented in the milk of women who were sedentary previously, and then for the purposes of the tests were pushed exceptionally hard ( Much harder than beginners would normally do themselves ). In women who were previously fit and doing NORMAL amounts of activity for them, there was no discernible lactic acid buildup. I read about this recently in Dr. Clapp's book, but can't remember the exact details.

Good luck!

Erin

A small amount lactic acid is released into milk, but it's not anything to worry about.

I am large-busted anyway... when I'm breastfeeding, I have to wear two jog bras when I run or do high impact activities. It also helps to nurse the baby right before a run, so that your breasts are empty!

Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

Thank you all so much for your responses! What all of you had to say pretty much confirmed what I HOPED to be the case. Thank God for this website 'cause otherwise I'd have no one to bounce ideas off of!;)

jeni

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-02 AT 02:57AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi -- I second the notion of doubling up on bras -- it was the only way I could find (but I didn't try any of the super support bras in the fitness market).

I started working out as soon as I could post-partum last pregnancy and it was pretty uncomfortable at first even with 2 bras, but what helped was to wake up, give my baby a really full feeding to empty out what I could, then I'd lie her down either to sleep or just to watch (and occasionally I'd have to stop to hold her, but most of the time she was fine). Sometimes I'd feed her afterwards too and she seemed just fine with it, but I remember after one particularly sweaty workout, she acted so hungry, but then would NOT latch on. She'd try again and would just cry. I tried washing myself off and she still wouldn't accept it. So I went and showered and she ate away. Maybe my smell repulsed her? :) Or maybe there was some lactic acid problem and the time delay resolved it. Who knows? It was sad to see her so frustrated though. -- Renee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.