Will I be classified "high risk"?

sln

Cathlete
I just took a HPT today and learned I'm pregnant. Yay! I'm 35 years old, have a 4 year old. I've had 2 miscarriages since my first successful pregnancy. One was a blighted ovum, detected after 3 months :-( and one was a few months ago, a chemical miscarriage detected very early. I'm not too optimistic about THIS pregnancy being real, since I've miscarried before. I'm in the middle of a Cathe rotation (as usual it's intense), and I'm wondering if I should put the brakes on that. I was reading Birgitta Gallo's "Expecting Fitness" and she says that those with 3 or more miscarriages are high risk and shouldn't exercise until the 2nd trimester. Yikes! Should I stop exercising?? Am I high risk? Should I just call my doctor? Help! - Sarah

RE: Will I be classified

Sarah, when in doubt call your doctor or midwife.

I will pray for a safe and healthy pregnancy for you! :)

Missy

ETA hugs, hugs, hugs, hugs more hugs and congratulations!

yes..it is advised not to exercise during the first tri, if you have had a history of miscarriages. I was told not to my last pregnancy and it was very hard at first, becuase it is a habit and you feel like a bum not working out...but the best thing you can do for your baby is to take it easy...

what a position to be in.i am so very sorry for your loses but am so hoping this pregnancy stays. i think if it was me, i would stop for sure for the first trimester. you just want to feel like you are doing everything ypou can to keep your baby. and in your post, you did say you go pretty intensly. you can always get back in shape later. but i know it is very very hard mentally. good luck. keep us posted.

Thank you for the feedback.

I really hope this pregnancy stays, too. I was just so encouraged by the weight I had lost in the last couple of months due to Cathe's excellent rotations. I do hate to stop exercising, but hopefully this pregnancy will "take" and maybe I can get back into it if I make it to a 2nd trimester. It's such a bummer not to be able to get excited about a pregnancy - but after 2 miscarriages, I won't be able to get excited until I hear a heartbeat, I'm afraid. :( Thanks, everyone! Sarah

Hi Sarah! I hope all is well with you and baby. I would suggest you talk to your doctor, since he or she knows your full history. The advice regarding exercise and miscarriage varies. If you follow Birgitta Gallo's recommendations, no you are not high risk because you have had 2 miscarriges and not 3. However, some doctors consider just one miscarriage reason enough to restrict exercise. Doctors seem to take the cause of the miscarriage into consideration as well as other risk factors, so talk to your doctor.

BTW, most doctors classify a woman 35 y/o or older as high risk, but high risk does not always mean there will be exercise restrictions. I have been high risk with each of my pregnancies related to my DES exposure, but the doctors have never restricted my activity.

Have you called your OB since you do have a positive HPT? I had a blighted ovum in 2002. Because of the blighted ovum, the doctor wanted me to call the first day I had a positive HPT. My serum HCG and progesterone levels were monitored from that first day until 12 weeks (?? I think 12 weeks??). Oh, and I had an U/S early too. The U/S didn't show a heart beat that early, but it was reassuring to see the fetal pole (so no blighted ovum) and then the heart beating very early.

Keep us posted!

Thank you.

I've laid off the exercise for now. As a full time working Mom of a 4 year old, it's not THAT hard to lay off for awhile :) I feel kind of guilty about this, but I haven't called the doctor yet. I'm giving myself until Friday to see if I miscarry. Last time I did, it was within 2 weeks (chemical miscarriage). If there's no bleeding, I will call the doctor and go in and get the blood tests, etc. I'm just superstitious, I think, after my past experiences. Thank you for telling me about your blighted ovum experience. That was really a tough one for me. I was SO sure everything was fine - and then the u/s showed no baby. It was awful. I hope if this pregnancy stays, they will give me an early u/s just to see that it's not an empty sac. Right now, I'm clinging to every twinge of nausea and breast tenderness as a sign that this one will be OK. Thank you for replying. - Sarah

RE: Thank you.

((((HUGS)))) Sarah! My blighted ovum was discovered at 12 weeks also, which was my 32nd birthday. My HCG levels were actually within a normal range when I went to the ER with the bleeding. The day the blighted ovum was confirmed the levels had dropped but were still normal. It was very strange. The doctor wanted to monitor serum HCG in future pregnancies for obvious reasons, and the progesterone levels in case I needed progesterone to maintain pregnancy. Low progesterone levels are recongnized as one cause of pregnancy loss. Just an FYI. :) Anyway, we are lucky to have another lil miracle and I pray you have another in about 9 months.

Autumn

Hi Autumn

Hi Autumn, Yes, that blighted ovum is a brutal miscarriage. I'm so sorry you went through that, too. I felt so pregnant, the doctor thought my uterus felt great, etc. But no HB, and then upon u/s, no baby. I was devastated. SO disappointed. I JUST called my doctor when I read what you wrote about the progesterone. Might as well get the blood work and see if my levels are doubling - and if they're not - prepare for the miscarriage. :-( I didn't know that about the progesterone, so thank you for telling me. I've got my fingers crossed for this one. The clock's a-ticking! - Sarah

Sarah

Whew! I am so glad you are calling! I was hoping you would change your mind and am happy your doctor is ordering the blood work.

Sarah, I don't know exactly how you feel, but I have dealt with my own pregnancy loss and difficulty TTC and am familiar with the pain of loss. I am so deeply sorry you have suffered two miscarriagess. The loss of two children. Yes, medically there may not have been a baby identified but explain that to the heart... explain that to the part that is a mother and already loving the baby. Brutal is one adjective to describe it all, so I am sincerely praying for you. I held my breath with each doctor's visit, each lab test, each U/S, and really most of my pregnancy with my DS. It may have been worse since I am a nurse... OB/Gyn to top it off. It was so different from my DD, when I loved every moment of pregnancy. We are here for you! My fingers are crossed and my hands in prayer position!

Autumn

Thank, you Autumn

Thank you for the kind words. It's always so hard to get your hopes up, only to have them dashed. Like you, my first pregnancy was worry-free. No trouble conceiving, great pregnancy, healthy baby, etc. I guess as you get older, it just gets that much harder. :-( Sigh. Thank you so very much. Your prayers are appreciated. Hugs! - Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to chime in with the pregnancy-after-loss experiences. I have a 5 year old daughter. Her conception and pregnancy were easy and I loved every minute of being pregnant. I conceived again, but it took 10 months of trying. The baby miscarried at 11 weeks, after we'd seen an early ultrasound that clearly showed a strong beating heart :( . I conceived again three months after that, but the loss of the second baby made this third pregnancy so much more stressful. I worried the whole time about miscarriage. When I was 10 weeks along, I had a "threatened miscarriage", where the placenta started to come away from the uterine wall. I was put on bedrest for 9 weeks until the bleeding was gone. As you can relate, the third pregnancy was extremely stressful for me, and not nearly the joyful experience my first pregnancy was. But the good news is, my daughter was born 7 weeks ago, healthy and robust. It's definitely difficult to go through pregnancy after you experience any sort of miscarriage or difficulty with the baby. I hope you are successful with this pregnancy and will be telling us about the birth your child 34 weeks from now.

All the best,
Sandra

Thank you, Sandra

Hi Sandra,

A miscarriage is so heartbreaking, and it's a feeling I will never forget. I'm sure you felt just *awful* miscarrying at 11 weeks after hearing a heartbeat. That's just so sad. :-( I'm so glad to hear that after a rocky pregnancy you have a healthy baby. That's awesome. It gives me hope. I'm so scared to get the bloodwork done, because there's a part of me that just doesn't want any bad news. After 2 miscarriages, I just feel hopeless that everything will click again. Thank you for the kind words and your story does help to encourage me. I hope I will be telling you about the birth of my child in 34 weeks, too. Hugs to you. - Sarah

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.