When did you start working out after delivering?

jenmgo

Cathlete
Its been three weeks since i had my baby and im feeeling pretty good. I had a c section and walking is no longer painful, and i can even laugh and cough without issue! :) But sneezing hurts just a tad. I have visitors for one more week so i wont be working out until at least then, and i'll be four weeks post partum.

When did you guys start working out? For reference i'm advanced and was doing advanced workouts up until the day i delivered my baby. I had started STS and was one meso 2 already, but of course i'll restart.

I dont want to go too soon and risk injury, and of course i'll ask my doctors at my visit or give them a call, but i was just curious as to when you guys got back into working out after having a baby?

I exercised as soon as the doctor okayed me. I think it was at 4 weeks, but I wasn't a c-section. I was shocked at how quickly I was back to my old stamina.

i didnt do too much til julia was 6 wks. i was pretty busy w/ all 3 kids butthe biggest thing was i just wanted to enjoy her:D. also i had a tear i opted to let heal on its own vs. being stitched.

you'll get back to it and you'll know whn youre ready. maybe just do your fave warmups for a few days and take it from there....

4 days.
But I didn't have a C-Section, and I started with core work (planks on my knees, crunches with a splint, etc..)

I started full blown workouts again after 1 week.

Take it easy with the c-section. I started doing too much too early (not working out, just general housework), and my incision had trouble healing, which set my workouts back several weeks past the time my doc okayed it. Also, I was told to really not do any workouts until at least 6 or 8 weeks because with a c-section, you have several incisions -- the skin, the abdominal wall, the uterus, etc. You don't want to chance any of those incisions rupturing. I really don't think it matters how advanced you are of an exerciser, c-sections don't discriminate. So ask your doc and follow his/her recommendations. Take care of yourself!! You're young, and this is your first, so your body will bounce back quickly!! :)

Hey Jen! Are you having any pain with the uterus incision? My c-section was a week after yours and every once in a while I feel the inside incision give me a little twinge (like when I climb onto the bed or flip over on it). I was wondering if yours has healed. My outside is totally fine, but I can't remember how long the inside one will take to feel 100% better. I exercised at 5 1/2 pp after my last c-section and I felt more pain with that one.

Tana

Ok thank you for the input everyone. I still havent done more than walk outside. Even thats not every day though.

Tana - i mostly feel back to being 100% now, 3 weeks pp. Every now and then i will feel a tightness or notice a poofiness (is that a word? :) ) where my incision is. It sometimes hurts when i sneeze, but coughing and laughing no longer hurt! What you are feeling now is totally normal at least thats what happened with me too. It wasnt until this week that i started feeling much better

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.