When did you feel you had to start modifying?

LizN

Cathlete
Hello girls,

I've just come back from teaching my BodyStep class and today is the first day where I really felt conscious of being pregnant. I found doing the push ups and tricep dips really hard work and the speed step track, well I felt like a sack of potatoes! And yesterday I went to my swim squad and felt positively puffy (out of breath!). I'm at week 14 and was wondering when everyone else had to modify their workouts to stop the intensity from becoming too much (I'm trying to keep my perceived exertion between 13 and 15 according to Dr Clapp!). I'm wondering if I'm modifying too soon or if I was just having an off day.

What do you think?
Thanks, Liz N

Hi Liz,
I have just been taking it day by day. Some days I have lots of energy and can put a lot more in my workouts and others I just feel good to be moving and keep the workouts at a lower intensity. So, my totally unprofessional advice would be to listen to your body and take it easy when you feel like you need to!
Erica

I am not a professional either, but I remember having to start modifying my workouts early on. Some days were better than others. I couldn't believe the changes I felt in my fitness level so early. Those changes continued to amaze me during my entire pregnancy. Like Erica said, the best thing you can do is just listen to your body, the last thing you want to do is over do it. Its better to error on the side of caution.

The best of luck to you!

Linda

Hi Liz! Another plug for just taking it day by day. You will definitely fluctuate with your energy levels. For example, some days I can do push ups (even straight leg push ups) and other days I can barely do one wall push up without my upper body shaking in strain. And just this past Monday I felt so achy in my intestinal area as well as my pelvic and groin area that I talked through my class and went home from work early anticipating perhaps even an early labor. Now today I had more energy than I knew what to do with while hopping, pivoting, and bending completely pain free.

As far as the breathlessness, it began early on for me (within three weeks of being pregnant) and is still a strong issue with me at 36 weeks.

So take it easy and do only what you can do with each given day :)

Hah! And everyone thought it was crazy when I told them I was breathless in my 1st trimester. It's good to know I wasn't alone!

Hey Liz! Ditto to all the other responses. I too was breathless as early as 3 weeks. You sound like you're on the right track to finding the balance - good luck!

On another note, I was just wondering...I'm a BobyPUMP instructor and am trying to pursuade my club director to add BodyStep - she is resistant and I don't think appreciates how different it could be. However, I can't seem to get any information about it from the website other than it is athletic stepping. Could you tell me a little about it, how it is designed and why you like it?

Thanks!

Dear Tammy

You're right, BodyStep is really athletic. Basically it consists of 10 tracks which are all prechoreographed, warm up, step warm up, step orientation, step intensity, mixed strength, step athletic, recovery track, party step (dancy track), speed step, and power peak (I think thats the last one). It also has an abs/upper body track and a cool down.

Compared to Step moves or more choreographed step, Bodystep is a really athletic, calorie killing workout. The advantages are the pre choreographed tracks and the fact that like Bodypump the tracks all feature original artists which I believe is more motivating.

You could try having a look at www.lesmills.net.au which is the Aussie website (I'm from Australia and the program is HUGE here)

Hope it helps,
Liz N. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.