weight training, squats

L

Liza

Has anyone modified their weights, squats, etc. after the 14th week? My doctor was explaining that squats with weights can damage the valsalva. basically causing those muscles not to be as helpful during delivery. I have cut my weights way down but am not sure if squats are ok or not? what about any other precautions? any help will be appreciated - Thanks!!

I believe the "valsalva maneuvre" occurs when people lift weights and hold their breath. It doesn't have to be squats -- it can be any sort of strenuous exertion. I'm not a doctor, but I am a certified aerobics instructor who takes courses from people with a lot more medical knowledge than I. They say that if you breathe properly (breathe out on the exertion, breathe in on the release, and never ever hold your breath) you won't hurt yourself.

I am in my 27th week and am still doing squats. I used to use 2 x 20-lb dumbbells, but have cut down to 2 X 12-lb because I was starting to gasp with the 20-lbs. The 12s are still comfortable and I am able to breathe correctly. As my lungs get more and more compressed, I'm sure I will eventually work myself down to no weight at all, but I do hope to be doing squats (maybe shallow ones!) right up until the end. I want to keep my nice strong legs and hips -- they will be helpful as I continue to get bigger!

Just a final note that this is what I am doing for myself, and my doctor is fine with it, but I am not qualified to give advice to anyone else. You should definitely listen to your doctor, but do ask "why" a lot if something doesn't make sense to you. It will be interesting to see what others' doctors have said about this issue.

I'm another one still doing squats, with the same weights as prepregnancy so far, at 25 weeks. As Stebby mentioned, there is not a muscle or bodily organ called the valsalva. What your OB was probably referring to was the "Valsalva maneuver," which means holding your breath during the exertion phase of an exercise (if you watch the way some of the Olympic power lifters lift weights, you'll probably see this in action). This increase intra-abdominal pressure, which obviously no one with a baby growing inside of them needs. As long as you breathe out during the exertion phase of the movement (i.e., as you stand from a squatting position), you shouldn't have any problem

However, squatting with weights can put extra pressure on your PC muscles (the ones you do Kegels for) -- I mean, more pressure than they are already under just from the growth of the uterus itself. I believe Sheila has said on this board in the past that as long as you can do a Kegel contraction during the squat, you're OK -- if not, you should find an alternative exercise.

Hope that helps!

I'm still doing regular squats (I'm in my 27th week now), but I've stopped doing plie squats. I did a search on this forum and there was conflicting information about doing plies during pregnancy, so I posted another question and Sheila said that she felt it was better not to do them. I substitute squats with a stability ball against the wall instead and love the way that feels. I also hold the stability ball between my thighs while sitting and squeeze it and that targets my inner thighs.
I do worry about hover squats/sit & stands, but I still feel fine doing them, so I think I will continue doing them until I feel any discomfort.
Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.