Weight Gain

Tuvak1

Cathlete
So I had my Doctors appointment today and I'm at 15 weeks and have gained 3 pounds. What I find extremely funny about this is that in normal life I gain weight really really easy and was prepared to struggle with weight gain through my pregnancy.
I had to reassure my midwife that I was not dieting and that I was not restricting my diet.

Heck, you should see the junk I'm eating - cheesey french fries, pronto pups, pizza. Through I will admit my breakfasts and lunches have probably never been healthier. Love the junk for dinner thou. One weird thing though is I have lost my desire for chocolate and it makes me sorta sick to my tummy. The only thing I snack on are rice crackers.

I am prepared for this to all change and to go in one month and have gained to much weight.

I gained weight really sporadically during my pregnancy. One month I would have gained 5 pounds and the next maybe 1. My doctor got on to me from about 24 weeks on and said I was gaining too much. I ended up gaining about 35 pounds by the time I delivered two weeks early.

However, Hagan is 4 weeks old and I am already down below where I was when I got pregnant. He is eating a ton! Everything does not look the same and I am not back into all of my clothes yet but those pounds melted off fast with all of the breastfeeding.

Oh, and I lost my desire for Sweetarts! I used to eat those daily but could not stand them while I was pregnant. Now they seem to bother the little booger so I guess I will be Sweetart-less for even longer :)

This is so funny. I used to eat chocolate every single day--just a square or two of the super dark fancy stuff (Valrhona 85%). But for the first half of my pg, the only chocolate I could stomach was cheap milk chocolate. Then I went through a Cadbury Fruit and Nut chocolate bar phase. I was glad that phase passed within a few weeks. I have to say that I am very relieved with my weight gain overall-25 pounds. I think it stayed pretty low because I haven't swelled very much, but that just means that the weight I did gain is the real thing, not water weight that I can shed quickly. Oh well...

i must say, i am jealous of you all. not really, i mean i know we are all different. but i too gain really easily, and i had been trying, up until getting pregnant, to lose a few. i actually did well. but now, at my 9 wk checkup, i have gained 3 pounds. my eating is all over the place. i feel so sick when i don't eat; then i totally munch out on processed things - stuff i never ate - but all the veggies i used to fill up on make me throw up. and i have developed a terrible protein bar habit - just like candy. i am exerciseing a lot, and i guess i am mentally okay with gaining. but i definately feel like i shouldn't be gaining now, and if i am this fast, what are the next 6.5 months going to look like? i just am really ready to get thru this first trimester and not feel so gross all the time.

Hi Morris - try not to worry about the weight gain for now. Especially in the first trimester when you're nauseous and can only keep certain foods down. I remember eating a lot of processed foods with my last pregnancy - sometimes that was the only food that sounded good and would agree with me.

I remember reading somewhere that when you're pregnant, your body is crying out for more calories and that causes you to crave more refined foods/sugar. I'm sure it was explained much better than that! :)

The only thing I would be concerned about would be the protein bars maybe because they are enriched with vitamins and you might overdose on certain vitamins? Maybe ask your doctor. Or Autumn might know. You might actually be better off with a candy bar in that case.

Take care!

Erica

>However, Hagan is 4 weeks old and I am already down below
>where I was when I got pregnant. He is eating a ton!
>Everything does not look the same and I am not back into all
>of my clothes yet but those pounds melted off fast with all of
>the breastfeeding.

Color me green with envy!! I hope the weight drops off easily for me. But I have a hard time losing weight, so I'm dreading the "aftermath" of pregnancy.

If it makes anyone feel better, I had my 20 week checkup on Monday. I've gained 12 pounds so far.

I've finally started lacing up my New Balances. Cathe and I shared time together on Sunday and last night. Tonight and tomorrow (before the feast), we'll be hanging out again.

My girlfriend is pregnant too. She gained 1 pound one month, and 10 the next. Each pregnancy is different.

>i must say, i am jealous of you all. not really, i mean i
>know we are all different. but i too gain really easily, and i
>had been trying, up until getting pregnant, to lose a few. i
>actually did well. but now, at my 9 wk checkup, i have gained
>3 pounds. my eating is all over the place. i feel so sick when
>i don't eat; then i totally munch out on processed things -
>stuff i never ate - but all the veggies i used to fill up on
>make me throw up. and i have developed a terrible protein bar
>habit - just like candy. i am exerciseing a lot, and i guess i
>am mentally okay with gaining. but i definately feel like i
>shouldn't be gaining now, and if i am this fast, what are the
>next 6.5 months going to look like? i just am really ready to
>get thru this first trimester and not feel so gross all the
>time.

I wouldn't worry about a measly 3 pounds. I ate crap my first trimester because the only things that appealed to me were simple carbs like bagels and cheese sandwiches. Once you hit the second trimester, your old tastes will likely return and you can make smart choices like before.

happy thanksgiving to you all. today i am so thankful to be pregnant, to be caring for a new life inside me.

thanks to you all for the support. so silly really to be bummed about a few pounds. sometimes need a little perspective i guess. i hope you all have a great day with your families.

Morris -
I to had a weird veggie aversion for about 11 weeks. About a month ago I started liking them again.

I was very worried because I love veggies and they are good for you but the thought of eating one made me want to throw up. I never ate any to test the theory because the feeling was so strong.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and I too am very thankful to be pregnant this Thanksgiving.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.