Weight Gain

beauty

I am 5 only weeks pregnant, and I have already gained 5 lbs. Am I the only one gaining weight this fast?Every where I read most people don't gain at all till about 3 or 4 months.Is this normal?

Don't feel bad -- I gained ten pounds in my first trimester in my first pregnancy, and have already gained twelve in this one (I'm nearly 16 weeks). I think this is just the way my body does pregnancy (heck, I could account for at least half the weight by my breasts alone!).

Last time I gained about 10 pounds each trimester, so my overall weight gain was right where it was supposed to be. So it's not necessarily an indicator that you will gain an excessive amount of weight.

No two pregnancies are the same, so "normal" is a relative term. With both of my 2 pregnancies I gained 8-10 lbs. in the first trimester... then it slowed down significantly for a couple of months, and then picked up again. I think that some women gain a lot more in the way of water and boob weight right off the back (within weeks of my positive pregnancy tests, I've had to go up a cup size or two). Some women actually lose weight due to morning sickness during the first trimester...

I have mixed feelings about the recommended 25-35 lb. weight gain. Some of the fittest women I know gained up to 50 or more lbs. when they were pregnant and took it off without too much struggle through exercise. I personally gained 43 lbs. with #1, and I was so upset about it... but then I took it off again in 4 mos. by exercising and nursing. (I did 4-6 workouts a week)... and by 6 mos. postpartum, I felt like I was in better shape than before I got pregnant. Because I'd exercised all 9 mos. of my pregnancy, I was energetic and eager to get back in the swing of things after my son was born (if you've been exercising all along, you feel SO light exercising once the baby has arrived... even when your body still looks a little bit pregnant). This time I'm up 25 lbs. at almost 29 weeks, so I'm a little closer to "on-target" for a 35 lbs. weight gain, but I'm a little less worried about going over because I know that I can get it off if I work at it... I am currently doing 4 workouts a week (30-45 minutes of cardio + resistance training). I have friends who don't exercise at all while pregnant who have gained 25 lbs. in their ENTIRE pregnancy!

I think that the key is to eat normally -- don't diet -- and to keep as active as your body allows while you are pregnant. Within reason, try not to worry about the weight. I think that, for most women, it comes off easily IF YOU ARE ACTIVE after the baby arrives. And if you've been able to stay active during the pregnancy (even if you are only able to walk or kick around a little in the pool), you'll be able to get back into a non-pregnant routine more quickly after the baby arrives.

Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

I gained about 10 pounds in my first trimester. But once I was into my second trimester, it seemed like it slowed down. I'm due in one month and I've gained about 25 pounds total.
Don't worry about the early weight gain.

Hi, Beauty, I gained 5 lb in my first 5 weeks too. I'm currently at 16 weeks (hit that milestone yesterday) and have gained 15 lb. What's your appetite like? Mine was horrendous in the first trimester. I keep track of what I eat, and I was eating 3500-4000 calories per day (and still waking up famished at 2:00 a.m.). Over the past two weeks my appetite has been slowly decreasing, and for the past few days I've been eating 1900-2300 and feeling perfectly satisfied. I think my weight gain will slow down a little bit now.

This is my first pregnancy, so I've found everyone else's responses very interesting (and reassuring).

This whole weight gain situation is hard for me. Last pregnancy I gained somewhere between 50-60 pounds (I stopped counting at 50, ugh). It's taken me two years to get back into shape! I know that last time I really over did the eating side of things I was just so hungry.

This time (10-11 weeks), I have gained 1 pound, have been trying to be careful about my eating (though moderate, not dieting) and have just been hit really hard by the most amazing hunger - yes, like you at 2am, Stebby!

I have been trying to eat lots of low GI carbohydrates, fruit, veggies and lean protein, but it doesn't seem to be even touching the sides these last few days! I've been eating every three hours and exercising four to six days per week.

Anyone have any clues on how to fill up a little more without filling out? Tchersue? I was wondering if increasing my dietary fibre intake would help?

I just want to be healthy, moderate and do what's right for both of us, but I don't want to gain 60 pounds!

Hi LizN!

They say that fiber fills you up, but I'm beginning to think that's a myth! I eat a lot of fiber but I'm still a bottomless pit. Although, I must say it IS true about fiber helping to keep you regular - I have not had any problems with constipation at all throughout my pregnancy...

I have less than 2 months to go now - due date is 4/23!

Take Care

AmandaVL

Hi. This is also my first so it is all quite new to me. I was starving all the time,but the past week I have gotten so queezy I hardly even want to eat.I actually don't even feel like myself.About all I want to do is sleep.But from what I read you get your energy back in the 2nd trimester.I am looking forward to that!:)

I'm probably a bad one to ask... with #1, I had terrible cravings for Whoppers with Cheese. I gave in a couple of times a week -- but not for an extra meal... and only if I'd exercised.

I think your body does ask for what it needs... but sometimes you have to think around the craving. Like, when I wanted Whoppers with Cheese, I probably did need the extra protein and calcium... but I would've done better with a soy shake or even a slice of cheese minus the mayo and extra fat on the Whopper. We also had this incredible smoothie shop near where I lived in Cary, NC when I was pregnant last time... and I would give into my craving for yogurt/fruit smoothies justifying it to myself because is was a pretty healthy alternative. Well, it would've been if I hadn't wanted the HUGE size every time I went there LOL :)

This time I crave peanut butter (I think it's the iron and protein) and sugar (gummi bears sound yummy, which is weird because I probably hadn't had a gummi bear since high school) ... I try to be moderate with the peanut butter, and I have started eating navel oranges. I get a big bag at Sam's Club, and I'll usually have two a day (I don't drink much juice if any, so I think this is okay for my fruit servings). They seem to fill me up and I they fulfill my body's request for vitamin C (which also helps with the absorption of iron).

Other things that fill me up ... yogurt (I'll do a lowfat custard style... never non-fat, I just don't like it... instead of icecream), apples (great fiber), baked potato (sometimes with cheese if I'm really ravenous), one piece of string cheese if I'm really feeling like I need to get into some cheese, hard boiled eggs (awesome protein and they fill you up), and I munch on butter-lite popcorn sometimes if I'm feeling desperate... I don't know... I never do very well following someone else's diet, so this may or may not be healthy to anyone else but me. I'm being a little bit more careful with snacks this time, but mostly I try not to obsess too much.

I've recently gotten to the squished stomach point where eating large meals really makes me feel sick... and for the last week or two I have just not been that hungry, so that's a really nice switch! Last time I never seemed to get to the point where I didn't want to eat LOL :)
susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.