Toddler Moms - ? about toddler fitness site

tricia

Cathlete
Hello Moms,

Have any of you seen the website for children's fitness? www.fitnessbeginnings.com is the site, and I'm wondering if anyone has used it or knows any of the workouts on it. It looks great, exercise workouts, yoga, pilates, instructional videos for pregnancy as well as sports for kids. I didn't see anywhere that I could view a clip, so it's hard to judge. But they do have the usual workouts that I've seen at Collage - like Elmocize, Happy Healthy Monsters, etc. But I am more interested in stuff like Family Yoga with Yodney Yee. Does anyone have any of these workouts? Do your kids like them? I have an energetic 3 year old girl who needs an outlet for those times when I'm taking care of her twin brother and sister (who are 10 months.)

Thanks,
Tricia

I haven't seen that website.

The only thing I can offer is that I have heard that Elmocize is a good video and I have Happy Healthy Monsters, and it is kind of boring. My 2 year old will watch it for maybe 5 minutes, but it's over his head. There are a few good songs in it and some celebrities appear in it, but I don't recommend it (and it's reallllllly long).

Has anyone watched Elmocize? It looks like it may be better, and it seems to get better reviews.

I think it'd be a blast to work out with Elmo (that's the kid in me coming out). NO I don't have it. I do have Tony Horton's kids workout...but I would NOT recommend it. He needs to stick to the P90X - that's what he's good at.

To be honest....we encourage LOTS of outdoor play. We have a trampoline that the kids play on much of the time and rope swings and trees to climb. Jungle gyms are great. Just a few ideas.

Briee

We have an old VHS Sesame Street video called, Dance Along that my 3 year old loves. She's on her feet for most of the 30 minutes dancing along (I'm usually doing it with her, though).

I don't have Elmocize, but I do have Happy Healthy Monsters and she likes that also but she definitely prefers Dance Along. Dance Along is really dated - the outfits are funny - I'm not sure if it's still available.

My oldest son was 3 when my twins were born. It was tough on me and also on him! Good luck!

Erica

Hi Erica,

Just a quick question about your 3 year old....have the naps ceased?
I can't seem to get my DD to take her nap anymore, but she DEFINITELY still needs it, you know? I am at a loss. I put her down and tell her to stay quietly in her room, she can play as long as it's not screaming and banging. So she sings, Loudly! And she comes back out every 15 minutes. (She used to take 1 - 1 1/2 hr nap)
Just wondering what your experience has been. Especially with the twins, I could use a combined nap time for a quick workout myself!

Thanks,
Tricia

Hi, I don't know about that website but my 2 year old loves Dance workout with Barbie. It is an older tape , we got at goodwill but she loves it and dances to it. it is geared for 5-8 year olds but still fun for a toddler. My 2 year old also likes working out to my videos including cathe. Have you tried having her exercise to your videos?

Unfortunately my dd needs very little sleep. She gave up naps before she was 2 years old. I usually put a short video on for her midday just so that I can get a break and get some stuff done. That's her quiet time for the day.

I know how tough it is with infant twins and another child who needs you! Can your husband watch the kids in the evening or morning so that you can squeeze in a quick workout? Or, like shopaholic suggested, could you exercise with her if your babies are sleeping? My dd does like to exercise with me. She thinks Cathe is the mommy and the other crew members are Cathe's kids.:)

Sorry that I couldn't be more help about naptime.

Shopaholic - I'm going to look for the Barbie workout - thanks!

Erica

Hi Tricia,

I feel your pain. My son tried to stop napping at 2. I struggled to get him to nap for months...sometimes he did, other times he didn't.
He is almost 3 now and I've decided it wasn't worth the struggle everyday. I just thought I'd share what has worked for me... I have him listen to CDs and look at books in his room mid day for some down time. He has quite a few music CDs, but I really like to let him listen to story CDs. (Check out the Magic Tree House Collection..we have the dinosaur one on CD....we tried checking out others at the library, but the tapes didn't work, but I bet they are good too.) Or, you could even just record yourself reading her favorite books. He's pretty good at playing by himself while these are playing so I can workout or get other things done that need attention, and hopefully it's teaching him to have a really good attention span. Yesterday we cut open a cardboard box and drew a town on it with markers, and today he's in there for down time driving his cars around the town. He does need attention some of the time, but for the most part I just let him know that I'm exercising, give him a hug (or take care of whatever the need is quickly) and send him back in for more quiet time. I put him to bed by 7 (sometimes earlier if needed) now since he won't nap. Any way...sorry so long...I hope you are able to have some time for yourself...a mother of twins deserves it!

--As far as videos...we don't have any, but I bet you could see if your library has some and see if she likes them, and will actually get up and move with them without having to spend the money on it initially. My son would probably just sit and watch it...so for him it's outside time for exercise.

Lindzebird

Hey, I am new here but just wanted to say that the Barbie workout sounds like it would be a blessing for me. My 5 year old is totally stuck on Barbie and that one would be great. So if any one does find it let me know, I would appriciate it:) Thanks, Renee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.