Tailbone Pain,a real pain in the....

eternalEfit

Cathlete
REAR!
Right after my 3rd month and since then, I've had this pain in my coccyx (sp?) bone area...my OB says it's most likely the baby laying on nerves and my childbirth class instructor/nurse says it could be from teaching Step still. I really don't want to believe the latter only because I've seen other women who've taught or participated up to the day of delivery, which is really what I plan on doing. Any type of sitting on a hard surface for more than 15 minutes or so really kills and it actually feels better to sit crossed legged on the floor than on a chair. I can survive pretty well on my big exercise ball (I'm bringing it with me to labor on) at any given length but it's been a great source of stress because I'm afraid the pain will worsen during labor (as if it won't hurt enough) and I'll end up giving in to an epidural. My goal so far has been to apply the Bradley Method and having this baby with no or little intervention. I've heard back labor is hard, but coupled with this tailbone tribulation? I don't know...I think I'm at that stage where the thought of labor pain is just freaking me out.

Help?

Thanks!
Myra + Baby K
Myra:)

Hi Myra,

I have a bad back and, during my third pregnancy, my tailbone/lower back area was incredibly painful. I also worried about the additional pain during childbirth, but was very grateful that the only pain I went through was the labor itself. Maybe our bodies know how much we can tolerate. Best of luck with your pain management.

Sandi

Hi Myra,

I have a bad back and, during my third pregnancy, my tailbone/lower back area was incredibly painful. I also worried about the additional pain during childbirth, but was very grateful that the only pain I went through was the labor itself. Maybe our bodies know how much we can tolerate. Best of luck with your pain management.

Sandi

Hello!
I have to say it is so comforting to know that someone else has the same problem I have! :)

I fell on my tailbone 2 1/2 years ago when I was pregnant with my son. I didn't really think anything about it at the time; I figured it would heal on it's own. I mean, it's not like they can put your tailbone in a cast, right? Anyway, the pain in my tailbone while pregnant was excrutiating and I'm not one to complain about pain. It hurt the worst when I got UP from sitting on it for long periods of time. The release of the pressure off that area was mind-numbing! To make a long story short - I didn't notice it one, tiny bit during 30 hours of labor, 9 of which was back labor because my son was turned the wrong way! You have nothing to worry about. I think the pain of labor totally negates the pain of your tailbone. That was my experience. As a sidenote, the pain in my tailbone has not gone away yet. I just gave birth to my second child (a girl!) and the pain in my tailbone during my pregnancy with her was even worse than with my son! And now, 4 months post-partum the pain is back with a vengeance. I'm sitting on a "donut" as I type! My husband has finally convinced me to see the doctor to see if anything can be done because it is really unbearable. Sorry I'm rambling on here - it's just nice to know I'm not alone! Good luck and don't worry about your tailbone while in labor - you won't even remember you HAVE a tailbone at that time! ;-) If you're still having pain after you have your baby, see a doctor. I've waited way too long and now I fear there's nothing they can do. I'll see, I guess. Take care!
Kris

Aren't exercise balls awesome? I use them all of the time in my prenatal classes.

Is it a pain that worsens with exercise (during or after)... or does it feel the same or better during step classes? You defintely don't want to get in the mode of "I'm going to do this no matter what..." if it is a nerve thing because you could end up doing permanant damage! Every pregnancy is different -- even in the same woman! For what it's worth, I exercised up until the day before my due date (and had the baby about 36 hours later) with my first son, but I stopped at 37 1/2 weeks (baby was born exactly one week early at 39 weeks) with the 2nd. I think I was in better shape the second time, but the baby was sitting differently, and I'd find myself needing a 3 hour nap after 30 or 40 minutes of swimming... you just have to listen to what your body is telling you. (And believe me, I don't always like what mine tells me... )

Also, don't be afraid to change your mode of exercise... aside from the prenatal aerobics classes I was teaching, I gave up other types of cardio for swimming in the last couple of months of my last pregnancy (my son is a month old today) because I was having a lot of nerve type pain in my cervix and pressure in my pelvis. I still got an excellent workout swimming laps, but I could get the weight off!

Now... this is definitely not to freak you out... but, honestly, you will be in so much pain of a different nature during labor that your tail bone will be the last thing on your mind. That being said, the Bradley Method is very involved/lengthy, and you'll likely be able to handle your labor naturally if you participate in the class... also, when you are in labor, you have this amazing goal of a new baby in mind, so the pain is definitely something you can get through. I think it's a good idea to keep an open mind going into labor, though... learn as much as you can about pain management/relaxation and have to a plan (you definitely will if you go with the Bradley method...), but don't have any preconceived notions about what to expect. The success is in having that baby to hold... whether vaginally, via c-section, with meds. or without... My own personal opinion is that it's also a mistake to look at the medical community as the enemy (not saying you are... I just get that from pregnant moms sometimes)... instead, develop a positive relationship with a competent medical professional (OB, NP, or midwife), so that they'll support you with your goals, but if you need to change plans due to pain or medical necessity, you'll trust your caregiver to help you with any decisions you & your husband might have to make during labor.

After having a 9 lb. 2 oz. baby the first time, I never dreamed I'd have a c-section this time (nor did I want one!), but my baby was in distress, and it was the right thing to do. In the end, he had Apgar scores of 9 & 10 and is totally healthy (9 lbs. 6 oz. this time!)... because of the situation, if I'd gone through with the vaginal delivery, he probably would've had trouble... so, even though it wasn't what I'd planned, it was a good thing.

BTW, I can totally relate to your frustration because I have to wait longer to do any "real" exercise after this c-section, and it's driving me crazy... and I have times when I feel great, and0I'll go on a long walk with the kids (light exercise, right?), but then afterwards my incision area feels horrible. I just have to keep telling myself that this is just short term thing!

Hang in there... hope the baby moves & gives you a break soon!
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.