Swelling

Debs

Hi everyone!

I hope everyone is doing and feeling great! This is my first pregnancy and I am 34 weeks along, getting closer:) My question is, my ankles have been swelling quite a bit during the day and I am not sure how much swelling is normal. I am on my feet from about 4a.m. to 5 p.m. I am sure this has something to do with it but, I am concerned. My ankles feel like they jiggle by the end of the day, it is quite uncomforatable. Has anyone else experienced this? My shoes are also quite snug. The swelling seems to go down overnight but this morning I noticed it hasn't gone down completly, I am still puffy! I also have a headache! Do I need to be concerned? I would appreciate any response!
Thank you and take care

Debs

Hi Debs --

I had swelling with my pregnancy - mostly ankles, legs, and my hands, too. I had pregnancy induced hypertension (pre-eclampsia) and was put on bed rest at my 36th week.

The fact that you are having headaches can be a very big warning sign, I think you should call the doctor without delay. Headaches are one of the things that my OB warned me about, and she called me every day to check on me. I don't want to alarm you, but if your headaches and swelling are due to pre-eclampsia, you need to see your doctor. It can be very serious for you and your baby.

Some swelling is normal, and headaches, too. But if I were you, I'd want to be sure and talk to the doctor soon.

I hope it is only the normal pregnancy stuff, please check back and let us know how you are doing.

Jennifer k

Hi Debs,

Some swelling is indeed normal, but since your ankles haven't gone down completely and you have a headache I would suggest that you contact your caregiver and not wait until your next appointment. It is probably nothing, but if you were one of my clients I would definitely advise you to let your caregiver know what is going on.

Let us know what happens. Good luck to you! Not much longer now and you'll have that baby in your arms.

Sheila

I have nothing more to add...

... to what the others said, but it looks like we're both at 34 weeks (I'll be 35 on Monday)! When is your due date? I'm expecting baby #2 on May 20th.

Actually, I did think of one thing... if your practitioner says your blood pressure is fine, you might try swimming to help with the water retention. I haven't had a ton of swelling, but if I eat salty foods at night my rings will be a little tight (very similar to PMS water retention...). I've been doing a lot of laps lately in the mornings, and it helps tremendously.
susan

RE: I have nothing more to add...

I did a lot of swimming in the last month of my pregnancy also, and propped my feet up while reading in bed, or on the sofa. It helped deal with my daily ankle-swelling.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.