starting periods again after breastfeeding

bmccartney

Cathlete
Is it normal to have some irregularity at first? I finally had a period November 2nd but haven't had one since. It's so frustrating because we're trying to get pregnant.:mad: If this is to be expected, then I'll try not to worry. If it isn't...then I think I'll call my OB. My last negative pregnancy test was Sunday. Oh, and I did purchase "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" but haven't received it yet.

From my understanding, some irregularity is normal...but I'm not sure to what extent. I'm also still breastfeeding my first child, so I don't have any firsthand experience. I'm just trying to figure out when mine will return. I'm down to nursing/pumping only 2-3x/day.

Good luck on your quest for another baby!
lisa

How old is your little one? It really varies from woman to woman, and some get their periods back soon and regular, some never get them back until they wean and everything in between, and you can ovulate before you get your period back. I went 21 and 20 months without periods with my two and for me it was a great benefit. I had 5 cycles between my two boys. I actually was able to figure out what days out of the month to try and get pregnant because my breasts got super sensitive around the time I ovulated.

i usually don't get it until i'm down to a 2-3 feedings a day whichfor my first 2 was after the 1 year mark. i do know that you could still ovulate while breastfeeding even without a period. i think talking to your ob is a good idea though. not sure how you would detect ovulation while breastfeeding, but your ob might offer some insight on that so you can get pg.

I'm not breastfeeding anymore though - I weaned gradually and stopped completely in September. Then got my first period (since having Taylor in March) November 2nd. Then nothing. I did a search on here about irregular periods and excessive exercise/low body fat...but I don't think that's my problem and how would I be able to know that for sure anyway?!? Ah well, I think I'll call the doc tomorrow - if anything - just for reassurance that this is nothing to worry about. Thanks for your replies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.