SPOTTING AFTER EXERCISE?

Connie34

HI ALL...I'M KINDA FREAKED OUT...I exercised-light workouts, only-walking outside and walking on treadmill...after which, I started to spot. Not heavily, just noticed some blood on tp when peeing....how worried should I be? I called the 24 hour nurse, and she of course told me that I could be having a miscarriage...but wouldn't I be bleeding heavily and having some type of cramping or pain? The spotting stopped a couple hours after it started. I am just 10 weeks today. Am going to go home the rest of the day and try to take it easy..no workouts today and see what happens the rest of the night. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Connie

K, I know this is kind of gross, but did you pass a painful stool before? Just wondering because when I'm pregnant sometimes I get constipated and after passing a stool I'll have a some blood on the TP. Also, bladder infections could cause some blood. I hope it's not a miscarriage. My prayers will be with you.

Lindzebird

What color was the spotting? If it was brownish, it was probably just left over blood from a check-up or implantation. I would call your doctor anyway if you are scared...just to make sure. They often have the "power" to calm your fears. Try to relax for the rest of the day...Let us know what you decide to do.

jenni
35 weeks
twins!

Connie,

I know this is very stressful and alarming, and you want answers right now. There are many reasons that women will spot early in a pregnancy, it is surprisingly frequent, and not always associated with miscarriage. If you are not feeling cramping, that is a VERY good sign. Have you phoned your doctor to report the spotting? Sometimes they will take a "wait and see" approach, but sometimes they might get you in for an ultrasound.

Please do not believe that your exercise this morning caused this spotting to happen. Mild exercise (or even intense exercise) will not cause a pregnancy to end prematurely.

I experienced a miscarriage with my second pregnancy, around the 11 week mark. It began as very light spotting, but was soon accompanied by cramping. With my third pregnancy, I began bleeding extremely heavily at the 10 week mark, but without cramping. I had a very hard time comprehending that I could bleed that much (lasted a week; went away for a couple of weeks; returned for another 10 days)and not be miscarrying. That baby is now one year old and currently unplugging the cables from the back of the tv.

The hardest part of this situation can be simply waiting to learn what's going on. I feel for you. :( :( I hope the baby is okay, and that the rest of the pregnancy goes more smoothly.

Good luck,
Sandra

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED SO QUICKLY. I went home and laid on the couch all day and night yesterday. No more spotting! But what I don't understand is why each time I exercise, a couple hours later, it starts. No cramping at all, which is why I wasn't too alarmed, but having a nurse tell you that you could be having a miscarriage, really makes one take a step back. I exercised with my 1st up until delivery with no problems...each pregnancy is different, I guess. Thanks again for your advice and prayers, and I will keep you all informed with how everything goes.

Thanks again,

Hugs,

Connie

Hi Connie!

I am a fellow-spotter as well. With my first I started spotting about week 9 and like you I called my doctor and they said the same thing....you could be having a miscarriage. I started freaking out at that point, even though I had no cramping either. Long story short, it was just remnants of my last period (that was what the nurse said when I told her about it). As long as the spotting is brown, from what the nurse told me, that is nothing to be alarmed about and many women get that. It is when it is bright red that we need to be really concerned.

Now this time with number two, I am spotting again, but it has been very little and brown and I am not worried. I am only 6 weeks pregnant, so I know I am very early into it as well.

You said you are 10 weeks in? Are you due in early May then?? I am due in early June.

Please keep us posted.

Connie, I don't have any experience with this, but would you be able to visit an obstetrician? I know that they can perform early ultrasounds past 6-7 weeks to check if the baby still has a heartbeat. If it does, and in these cases they frequently do, you need not worry! Once a heart beat has been established, I was told that there is a very low incidence of miscarriage.

I hope all goes well for you! Keep us posted:)

Hi Connie,
I am sorry you're having to go through this anxiety. I agree with the last post that you should have an ultrasound to set your mind at ease. I had light spotting (brown only) at 7 weeks, and it went on for about a week. My sister spotted early in both of her pregnancies and delivered healthy girls, so she told me not to worry. My friend also reported spotting and later a healthy delivery. So the good news is that spotting usually does not mean the worst. But in a small number of cases, it does anticipate miscarriage. I too experienced spotting during pregnancy at 7 weeks. I wish that I would have gone in for an ultrasound at that point because later in my first visit to a midwife at 11 weeks, she could find no heartbeat at all. I was devastated to learn that my baby had probably died. A week later(week 12), I miscarried with no spotting previous to the actual event. The midwife suspected that infant demise took place a lot eariler than eleven weeks, judging from the size of my too-small uterus. I have always wondered if that spotting in week seven was trying to tell me something. I will never know. But I say this not to alarm you; it's just to encourage you to get it checked out. In those 4 additional weeks after the spotting at week 7, I formed an even stronger bond with my child to be, so the grief was much harder to overcome than had I known at six or seven. My prayers are with you for smooth and successful pregnancy.
Manmohini

THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN...I AM HAVING A DOCTOR'S APPT. TOMORROW, AND WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW THE OUTCOME...ALTHOUGH, I HAVE NOT HAD ANY SPOTTING SINCE LAST WEEK....BUT AM KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED!

CONNIE

so i had my doctor's appointment, and the baby is fine. Really put me at ease, but she said the reason I was spotting was due to a polyp on my cervix! Great! Not really...she removed it, and said that it did not 'look' malignant, that it was nothing to worry about....yeah right! So, since she removed the polyp, I have not had anymore spotting. So now do I have to worry about cervical cancer? I'm trying not to even let it creep into my mind....Thanks for everyone's advice and concern. I appreciate everyone's thoughts

Connie

>so i had my doctor's appointment, and the baby is fine.
>Really put me at ease, but she said the reason I was spotting
>was due to a polyp on my cervix! Great! Not really...she
>removed it, and said that it did not 'look' malignant, that it
>was nothing to worry about....yeah right! So, since she
>removed the polyp, I have not had anymore spotting. So now do
>I have to worry about cervical cancer? I'm trying not to even
>let it creep into my mind....Thanks for everyone's advice and
>concern. I appreciate everyone's thoughts
>
>Connie

I'm glad you are okay! No, you don't have to worry. Cervical Polyps are very common. I had a cervical polyp too and had it removed a few years ago before I was pregnant. I've never had an abnormal pap smear either. They are generally no big deal.

I have another polyp now and this one hasn't caused any bleeding yet, but my doctor said I don't need it removed.

Here's some info:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001494.htm
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/wha/wha_cervpoly_crs.htm

Cervical polyps are fingerlike growths that start on the surface of the cervix or endocervical canal. These small, fragile growths hang from a stalk and push through the cervical opening.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The cause of cervical polyps is not completely understood. They may be associated with chronic inflammation, an abnormal response to increased levels of estrogen, or clogged cervical blood vessels.

Cervical polyps are relatively common, especially in women over age 20 who have had children. Only a single polyp is present in most cases, but sometimes two or three are found. They are rare in females who have not started menstruating.

What are cervical polyps?
Cervical polyps are a growth of tissue in the cervix. The cervix is the lower part of the uterus that opens into the vagina. Women of any age may have cervical polyps.

Polyps are very rarely cancer, and they seldom develop into cancer of the cervix. However, we can be sure that a polyp is a benign polyp only by removing it and looking at the tissue in the lab.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.