So how is life with two?

H

Hazel

OK, I don't know why it suddenly hit me last week (perhaps because at 32 weeks, I can suddenly see light at the end of this tunnel!), but in a short while, I am going to be the mother of TWO!!!! Although I am very excited to meet our newest addition, I'm also a bit nervous now. We have just gotten into a nice routine with Lauren where I had figured out how to fit it all in (the uninterrupted sleep is quite nice too!), and now I'm going to have to readjust.

I know there are quite a few of you out there who have just had your second child (as well as some old hands who are on their third or fourth or . . .) and I'm wondering how you're coping. Any words of wisdom? And how has your older child adjusted? Did you do anything in particular to help prepare him or her for the new baby's arrival?

Any and all war stories will be greatly appreciated! TIA,

Hazel

Things here are pretty good. Aaron has his toddler moments, but all in all he's liking his baby brother, and he's actually pretty good about the whole thing.

It is kind of challenging to figure out how to do things that were relatively simple with only one baby... like, if you have the infant in the car carrier in the front of your shopping cart and your toddler in the back... where do you put your groceries?? LOL... My answer: put the baby in the Baby Bjorn, the toddler in the front of the cart, and do a lot of squats at home (I do them when I'm blow drying my hair LOL) so that you can get items off of the bottom shelf without straining your back or waking up the baby who has just fallen asleep in the carrier!

I don't know... I'm tired a lot, but things seem to be working themselves out...

susan

Hi Hazel! I remember feeling the way that you did while pregnant too. It really kicked into high gear when I was in the check out line at Babies R Us (swaying side to side while waiting to pay as all pregnant mommies do;-)). Anyway the woman in front of me paying had a 2 year old and a 4 month old. The 4 month old was asleep in the infant seat attached to the cart and the 2 year old was in the basket part of the cart screaming to get out. The mother gave in to the 2 year old since he started dangerously trying to jump out on his own while she was trying to focus on checking out. The mom pulls out her wallet to pay when the 2 year old takes off running to the exit door. The mom shouts for him to come back as she is handing the woman the money and he continues to run (almost out the door now). She drops her wallet on the counter, her money falls to the floor, and she runs to get the two year old. She bangs the cart as she runs and the baby wakes up crying. So now she is 20 yards away chasing her son, her little baby crying and unattended, and her money on the floor. That was when it occured to me how scary it can be.

Anyway, as far as adjusting, before Kyle was born we gradually introduced Eric to his new "big boy room and big boy bed". We made it fun and colorful and it started out that he just liked to play in there, then nap in there, then sleep in there a night or two, and finally he just treated it as his room entirely. Then when Kyle came he didn't see it as he had to give up his old room and crib. Then we also got a few of his favorite snacks and an Elmo and Blues Clues tape and said it was what Kyle bought for him for being such a fun older brother. These are ideas passed on to us and I'm sure you have heard them too.

Also, we found that Eric gets frustrated because he wants to feed Kyle and hold him. We allow him to do this occasionally (supervised of course). My OB suggested that I buy a slurp and burp doll and let Eric feed that baby doll while I feed Kyle so that he can do what mommy does and feel included too.

After having Kyle the first three weeks were the hardest with Eric showing signs of jealousy and lashing out, sometimes at Kyle and sometimes at us. But now he seems to realize that Kyle is staying around and he loves to kiss him and help me with him. Yes, we still have a few temper tantrums (ie, Kyle cries and Eric drops to his knees and cries too competing for my attention)but we are getting through them.

Right now I say enjoy your sleep while you can. It does get harder with the little one waking up a few times for feedings and the older one sometimes waking up too, making for some long sleepless nights.

Good luck to you and keep us posted:)!

Eeek!

Cathe, your story is so close to my nightmare that it's frightening (actually, I had envisioned the younger one being a bit older and them both heading off in different directions at the store!). I think for the time being I'll reserve all shopping for the mornings that Lauren is in mother's day out!

And thanks for the ideas on how to acclimate the old baby to the new one. Lauren actually moved herself to the big girl bed a few months ago, but I'd never thought about getting her a gift from the baby.

How am I ever going to find time to exercise again?

RE: Eeek!

The baby "gave" Aaron a Baby Elmo at the hospital... it helped because when Aaron was having a jealous moment, I had him help me diaper the doll and wrap him in a blanket. Aaron seemed to like to have his own "baby" to take care of.

I'm teaching a stroller exercise class at the Y now, and it is a wonderful way to meet other moms and get a great workout... maybe you could get one started in your area. So far I've put Aaron in the nursery when I teach the class... I think he has more fun playing with the kids.

Susan

I don't have much to contribute on how life is with two children (heck, I don't even have one child yet...not even close to being pregnant for that matter). But everyone's suggestions that the new baby "give" the older child a gift reminded me of a cute story.

My friend and her husband had just had their second baby. Their older daughter Brooke was two at the time. When "Dad" took Brooke to see Mom and the new baby at the hospital, they also had a gift for Brooke "from the new baby". It was a toddler-sized bean bag type of chair that she had been wanting. Pretty big and fluffy. When they told Brooke that the new baby had brought her the chair, Brooke's eyes got huge and she said..."Oh my gosh, Mommy, you mean that was in your tummy, too?"

Hi Hazel -- I'm actually embarking on my 6th baby right now, if that isn't a mind-blowing thought. I think I go through denial that another baby is even coming (even though I plan and want it) until I'm in delivery. It's just so hard to fathom and each time I think I've forgotten how to take care of a baby (I've never been one who wants to hold others' babies -- but I always love and adore my own -- it's a weird thing, I know). But anyway, to answer your question. Each time it is an adjustment, but it also gets easier each time because you are better at it and more seasoned each time. Going from one to two was probably the biggest jump except for maybe going from none to one. I remember the first few times I took both baby and 2 year old to the store. I came home and cried and thought I'd never be able to leave my home again. In fact I remember the first grocery store experience and I think my baby was just too cold in there or something, but she cried and cried, my 2 year old kept trying to get out of the cart, and after much frustration, I just left the cart full in the store, went home, and figured the store clerks have had to deal with putting everything away. I just couldn't do it. But I learned how to find their best times for going out and only went out then, or went shopping and such when my dh was home. I found friends with small children that I could visit and visa versa, Storytime groups, and other ways to share time and experiences with friends. It's a great time of life when your children are so small. It will get frustrating at times, but just don't expect too much of yourself and enjoy each moment! -- Renee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.