Should I be worried....

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Okay so I had my first transvaginal sonogram on Mon and the first question the technican asked me was if I had been bleeding and I said no and at first she could not find the heart beat she had to keep moving that thing around and finally found the heart beat (YAY). She also said she was not able to share any of the results with me that my doctor would be calling me soon for that.

So my doctors office called now wednesday morning and said that everything looked okay but scheduled me to have a second transvaginal sonogram in 2 weeks. I've been thinking about it all morning and I'm worried should I be...?????

I would try to stay calm at this point since they haven't actually said there is anything wrong and most likely the second one is for a precaution of some sort. I would however (if it was me) call back and ask WHY they need a second one and what exactly is it they are obviously watching and not telling me about. I like my doctors to be straight with me. I understand your technician not discussing anything with you though. That is pretty standard practice, but I would want an explanation from my doctor about the follow-up sonogram. I think getting that will ease your mind.

Well, I'm one who worries about every teeny, tiny little thing, but I agree with Liann that you shouldn't worry, but try to clarify with your doctor about why the follow-up was ordered. I think sometimes, if it's very early in the pregnancy, it's normal to have a hard time finding a heartbeat. When the baby is a couple of weeks older, it's easier to see, so maybe that's why they want the follow-up.

As for my experiences, I did recently have some bleeding and my doctor did an ultrasound. Everything looked okay, heard the heartbeat, etc., but they too want to follow-up in 2 or 3 weeks. But I have had a miscarriage before so I'm ultra paranoid and have asked my doctor to do whatever they think is needed.

It's hard to not to worry, and I understand where you're coming from, but for me, I have to keep in mind that the stress of worrying is probably not good for my baby. Most of the time, things turn out okay and all of the worrying was for nothing :)

Take care,
Carrie

Thank you for your kind words Liann and welch you guys are probably right. I did call and they said it was just for a follow-up but that everything was o.k.

I think it's because I'm so early I will be 7 wks on saturday.

Thanks again and have a wonderful xmas..

why did you have a ultrasound so early anyway? standard is just to have a u/s around 20 weeks for fetal survey. Unless you dont have a date of last menses. Just curious?

Actually Sissy, u/s timing depends a lot on the doctor, the patient's insurance, and known date of conception. In my doctor's office, standard u/s are at 8 weeks, 20 weeks and 32 weeks. They don't like to do them before 7 weeks because there can be confusion like wonderwoman has posted above - it's just early. But they definitely do the first one between 7-9 weeks just to make sure that the pregnancy is healthy and progressing.

I know it's hard not to worry, wonderwoman. But if they found a heartbeat at 6 weeks, that's a GREAT sign!

Thanks Melissa!
I really dont know why the doctor wanted a u/s so quickly. Getting a u/s is always exciting but can also cause anxiety like it did for me.

why did you have a ultrasound so early anyway? standard is just to have a u/s around 20 weeks for fetal survey. Unless you dont have a date of last menses. Just curious?

An early ultrasound is standard at both of the OB offices in my area. They just automatically schedule you for one between 7 - 9 weeks and then your gender screen ultrasound at 20 weeks. It's pretty normal procedure now a days but there are probably still doctors out there who might not order them. If you have a first trimester screen test, then they'll do another one at 12 - 13 weeks. I opted out of that test though, so I'm just waiting for my 20 week one now.

Glad it was just a follow-up! :) That's great that they found a heartbeat that early. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.