Separated Abs

lulu72

Hi Everyone,

I am just over 6 months pregnant with my first baby and my abs have separated. I know this is common but am concerned about getting them back in shape after I deliver.

I have continued to do plank work and I have also continued to run (jogging is more like it these days) so both of those work my core to keep it strong. But I definitely don't want to make it worse and am worried.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have good experience and advice about getting them back in shape and what exercises did you find most helpful?

2) Also, what kind of ab work did you continue doing while pregnant even with your separated abs?

Thanks!

How do you know while pregnant that they are separated though? Isn't the baby in the way? I am 7 months pregnant and there is no way I could tell at this point...Thanks, Clarissa :)

I asked my doctor to check because I could feel the separation. He confirmed they are separated. There is a way to check by lying flat on your back with your knees bent. You place one hand behind your head then use your other hand to feel below your belly button as you lift your head as to do a modified crunch. You will be able to feel a gap.

I had a 4 finger split in my abs by the time I delivered.
I started back 4 days post partum with the basics. You have to hold your abs together when you start back, to train them to go back together. I tied a scarf around my waist at the belly button, TIGHT. Like, hard to breathe, tight.

I started with planks on my knees. I'd do 5 a day, holding for 30 seconds at a time. When I had strength back, I moved to planks on my hands (about a week later), and then eventually to planks on my elbows.
I also did crunches. About 4-6 sets of 25, until I could do more at at time.

Don't forget some of the very easy ones, like deep breathing - making sure to pull in your belly button as you exhale. You can focus on that while feeding or pumping...

I was doing TaeBo, which works the obliques a lot, but apart from that, I didn't push the obliques very hard during that time.

I also had a splint (Medela makes one) that I used for all workouts, step or otherwise, for about 3 weeks. At that point, I did the same check, and things were back together, and firm again, so I felt it was safe to take off the splint during core work.

Right- I knew how to check un-pregnant but couldn't figure out how to tell at such a late stage. My baby, at 31 weeks here, is covering my abdominals so there is no way for me to tell right now. I didn't have it with my other two so I am hoping to not this time either. I am an ab-ohlic so I hope to not have to deal with that problem! LOL! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.