Self Tanners

BeckyU

Cathlete
Hi everyone.
I was wondering if it is safe to use self-tanners while pregnant. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Thanks!
Becky.

Hey Becky! I'm bi-racial so I don't use the stuff but I would ask your doctor. The reason I say this is because so much is absorbed through the skin and into the cells that I don't know what this could mean for the baby. Related to other things to rub on my body (i.e. belly butter products), my mid-wife asked me to wait until after 10-12 weeks because by that time all the developing of vital organs and stuff was done and the baby is only getting bigger.

Just my 2sense;)

I just had the shock of my life when I tried to order my skin cream and just happened to ask the pharmasist if it is okay to use when pregnant..big fat NO! Yikes! I told her I used it non-stop with my first two and while I was nursing them, she was silent on the other end and then said, shall I cancel the order. oops! Why in the world I didn't ask when I ordered it with my first two..I don't know. I think I would ask a pharmasist first, because I have heard that Doctors can kinda miss those little details. He was my pre-natal care giver and also the guy that prescribed the cream. Oops again! My little girls are extremely bright and beautiful, so no damage done, but holy, what a shock! I learned a lesson....take nothing for granted and always be paranoid about what is okay and not okay.
My little two cents worth. Best wishes!

Hi again everyone. Well, I broke down today and called my doctor to see what she would say about self tanners. She said that it was safe to use. But bridge, you have a great point. I'm going to ask my pharmacist what he thinks. Always better safe than sorry!
Thanks for all of your input!
Becky

For anyone still wondering about this....

I just saw an article about this on Baby Zone and it says they are safe. Here's the link if you're interested...

[link:www.babycenter.com/expert/pregnancy/pregnancybeauty/1127909.html|Self Tanners]

Dana

RE: I'm a pharmacist :)

I studied pharmacy before I did my exercise science degree and I practice as a pharmacist one day a week.

Becky the safety issue depends on what ingredients are in the cream. Some self tanners are safe whilst there are others we don't recommend.

Generally on the whole self tanners are safe to use (especially on your legs) as the ingredients in the cream do not penetrate further than the top layer of the skin (epidermis).

If you are suffering from varicose veins, I would be extremely cautious with the application of such creams, however.

Hope that helps
Liz N (who has very white, hairy legs because it's getting much harder to wax them myself at 28 weeks pregnant..and who enjoys going to a salon with a 2 year old :) )

Hi Becky and Everyone! When I was pregnant there were a couple of things that I would come across and wonder if they were safe to use when pregnant. My doctors office gave me these two numbers to call when I had these questions and I thought you might find them helpful:

Baby Chemical---888-722-2903

Pregnancy Hotline--800-724-2454

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.