Running while pregnant

Sweetpea1

Cathlete
I just found out that I am pregnant and I was just wondering how many of you ladies continued to run/jog while pregnant. I would like to continue to as long as I can. I've heard that debate over heart rate vs listening to your body and I think I will listen to my bdoy when it comes to working out. Any insight into this would be great! Thanks!
Jen

I heard that it is pretty safe to do while pregnant, even up thru your 3rd trimester. Personally though, it made me feel "creepy" and that is the only and best word I can think of to describe the feeling - after about the 1st trimester that is. After that it just felt so weird to me, with all of my pregnancies. However, high impact step aerobics and plyos felt just fine to me...? So, listen to your body I guess. Mention it to your doctor though.

Congrats on your pregnancy! Clarissa

I have several friends that ran up until the week they delivered.
It's really up to you to decide how comfortable it is for you. For me, my belly was huge, and the impact really hurt the ligaments in my abs more than anything. But for others this is not a problem at all.

If it works for you, go for it!

I was able to run until I was 20 weeks pg, then it became really uncomfortable. I switched to the elliptical or walking on an incline. Just listen to your body and congrats! Enjoy your pregnancy:)

Candra

Thanks for the replies! I noticed my ligaments felt a little "looser" I guess while running so I will just take it easy.

There is just so much else you could do and still get a good burn. Do what feels good to you! Incline walking is great too!

Go with what feels right with your body. It's a great DVD and you won't be disappointed. I don't run anymore as I have lower back pain, but your baby will tell you what s/he needs. Yes, continue with what you need and the rest will fall into place.

I just found out that I am pregnant and I was just wondering how many of you ladies continued to run/jog while pregnant. I would like to continue to as long as I can. I've heard that debate over heart rate vs listening to your body and I think I will listen to my bdoy when it comes to working out. Any insight into this would be great! Thanks!
Jen

Congrats, Jen!

I ran with all my pregnancies. However, with my last pg (that ended with m/c) I ran a 5K & pushed myself a little harder than I should have (I'm pretty competitive). I often wonder if that might have contributed to my miscarriage (becoming anaerobic and all)?

You know how us moms try to blame ourselves....but if I'm ever blessed with an open womb....I won't run in any races....just a steady-state jog pace.

Jen,
I ran throughout my pregnancy but in the beginning I just stuck to steady state. And in the end my pelvic floor was pretty stretched out so I had issues with leaking pee while running!:p

Hi Jen

I ran throughout my entire pregnancy up to the day before I delivered. I continued with intervals, steady steady state and any other kind of run I did before only I eased back on the intensity level and tried to only maitain fitness rather than improve.

There is a fantastic book put out by Runner's World called "Running and Pregnancy" by Chris Lungren. I highly recommend it. It is not only inspiring but also has great advice from many different women who also ran through their entire pregnancy.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

I ran until I was 37 weeks pregnant. I stopped then because it was late July and too hot/humid for me to run, but I still felt fine running. At that point, I was doing run/walks where I would walk up hills, but run the rest of my route. I felt fine, but my alignment was definitely off and I felt sore in places that I normally don't feel sore when I'm not pregnant and running.

Good luck!

Erica

Hi Jen

I ran throughout my entire pregnancy up to the day before I delivered. I continued with intervals, steady steady state and any other kind of run I did before only I eased back on the intensity level and tried to only maitain fitness rather than improve.

There is a fantastic book put out by Runner's World called "Running and Pregnancy" by Chris Lungren. I highly recommend it. It is not only inspiring but also has great advice from many different women who also ran through their entire pregnancy.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

I will definitely check out the book! Thank you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.