reasons for missed period??

LaBelleRebelle

I am almost 2 weeks late, and no sign of AF... no cramping, no bleeding or spotting, nothing. (well, except for slightly swollen breasts.)

I took 2 pregnancy tests yesterday, and they were both negative. (I used the cheap store brand, because I am extremely broke right now.) I've been on birth control for over a year, and my periods have always been very regular. With both of my other kids, I started having pregnancy symptoms (nausea, increased urination, etc) before I ever missed a period. I haven't gained or lost any weight recently, I'm at the high end of my ideal weight range, I haven't been working out too hard (maybe 30 min, 3 days a week.) I haven't been stressed out. So where's AF? I can't figure out what's going on here... I skipped my birth control pills last week because DH says I shouldn't take them in case I really [i/]am[/i] pregnant...

What else can be causing missed periods?

Until you mentioned the birth control pills I was going to write that many times ovulation can be delayed due to any number of factors, including stress, illness, loss of sleep, etc. Even GOOD things that throw off the schedule can make your body take a step back and delay ovulation, and thus the menstral period. However, since birth control pills are supposed to suppress ovulation anyway, that probably isn't it. I would suggest calling your doctor and going in for a blood test. If you are pregnant, it would be good to know that as soon as possible. If you aren't, the doctor would be able to tell you what else may be going on.

BTW, in one of my pregnancies the only symptom I had in the 1st trimester, other than some fatigue, was my missing period. My husband was convinced I was going to lose the baby because I felt so good ( Thought he couldn't be "dug in" very well if he wasn't making me miserable :) ). My son was born safe and sound though, so no worries. :)

I think you ought to call your OB for a blood test just to be sure...

BTW, I've read that the CVS pharmacy brand is one of the most sensitive tests around... and cheaper than some of the others...
susan

It's not all that uncommon to skip periods while on the pill. I took BCPs for many years and would miss periods at least twice a year or so. My doctor always said it was nothing to worry about, unless I missed two or three in a row (which I never did). If you stopped the pill in mid-cycle, it might throw your cycle of even further.

It's always good to go get checked out by your doctor!! Ask about the skipped-period-while-on-the-pill phenomenon. I always felt weird to miss my period, but talking with my doctor reassured me that it was nothing to worry about.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.