Question for Stebby...

E

ebh87

Hi Stebby - I was just wondering what you are doing/planning as far as exercising. I have been doing the exercises that you suggested earlier and have been feeling great. I have been going for a 25 minute walk every day and also doing Leslie Sansone's 2 mile walkaerobics workout - it's definitely a beginner level, but it's fun to follow a video again! I go back to the doctor at 4 weeks postpartum and she is supposed to tell me what I can do safely, but I don't think she is very knowledgeable about fitness/exercise and would love to see someone else's routine. I'm really anxious to get back to strength training, but I don't know when that will happen.
Hope all is well with you and your family!! If you would prefer to email me privately, here is my email address - [email protected]. I tried emailing you, but the email address you have listed didn't work for me.
Take care!
Erica

Hi, Erica! I'm still doing the exercises I described before and am starting to add some. Yesterday, I did the Firm's Tough Tape -- I'm not quite ready for Cathe yet, and the 40-minute length was about right for me. I dropped way down from my "normal" weights -- the heaviest weight I used was my 15-lb Body Bar (for the barbell sections). I seem to have tolerated it well; I feel great today except for some (well ... I'm quite tight, actually) delayed onset muscle soreness -- energy level is good, no additional bleeding, internal and external incisions feel fine. I think I will try this again tomorrow, or maybe I'll do half of Power Hour instead with light weights.

It is truly frightening how sore my leg muscles are, after just 20 days off, and using half my accustomed weight! I must stretch them out tonight. I would love to go sit on a stationary bike for awhile and spin my legs fast; normally that's what I would do (or take a Spinning class) to get rid of the soreness, but that's out of the question right now.

My doctor isn't that knowledgeable about fitness issues either, so rather than getting fitness advice from her, I just asked her what signs I should look out for to be sure I wasn't overtraining. She said that if I didn't get any increased pain or bleeding, and didn't feel crappy, I was doing fine. The one thing I have "cheated" on is the amount of weight I lift. I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than Kimberley, but I had no problem with the 15-lb weight; I just took extra care with my posture and ensuring my core muscles were tight (well, as tight as they can go these days!).

Sounds as if your program is going well and you're getting lots of walking in! Good for you! Are you getting good results from those ab exercises? They're definitely doing the job for me. I can see my waistline again, and when I "pull in" my abs, they actually go in a bit (when I first started the exercises, I could sort of feel something internal happening with my muscles, but couldn't see or feel any movement from the outside, just a whole lot of jelly. My waist is down from about 42" (2 days before Kim was born) to about 33" now -- don't know if I will see 27" again, but I am trying not to rush it.

Talk to you later...
Stebby

I forgot! I have added one exercise -- modified planks. I do them on my elbows and knees. I started with 10 seconds and am now up to about 30 seconds. I go just to the point where I start to feel it, but not to the point where I'm shaking or sweating. Again, I am very careful to keep my abs tucked in while I do this.

Thanks!

Hi Stebby,
Thanks for your reply - I really appreciate it.
My abs actually looked good after delivery - I couldn't believe it. I wasn't sure if it was worth it to do ab work at the end of the pregnancy, but I was really glad that I did! Unfortunately, I have been eating nonstop since I've been home - eating the wrong kinds of foods and I am getting flabby in the ab area and can't see the definition there as much. I was sick throughout the pregnancy and hardly ate and now I'm starving all the time and can't seem to get enough to eat. I am giving myself a couple of days to eat like this (tomorrow is my birthday) and then I am going to get back to healthy eating!! Or healthier anyway!
My little Kelly has a terrible cold. Her brothers have been in school one week and now everyone in the house except for me is sick already. The poor baby is miserable and my heart just breaks for her because she is completely stuffed up.
Hope all is well with you! Thanks again for sharing your workout experience with me - you are doing amazingly well!
Erica

RE: Thanks!

You're welcome -- glad I could help. I hope everybody in your house is better soon, especially poor little Kelly. And Happy Birthday!!

Stebby

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.