Question about Crib Bumpers

jenmgo

Cathlete
I purchased a bedding set for my babys crib and of course it came with bumpers, which by the way look so cute and pull it all together nicely.

However, my brothers girlfriend is a nurse who works with babies and she said to tell him to tell me to REMOVE the bumpers as they are a hazard. Is this true?? I thought they protect the baby from getting stuck in the crib rails etc. I guess she said they are a suffocation or choking hazard.

Is this true? Do you guys use bumpers?

Why do all the bedding sets come with bumpers? If they were a hazard i'd imagine they would recall or not make them at all.

Advice please o wise ones! :) Thanks in advance!

This topic has come up on my expecting forum a few times. I believe there is a very small risk that the baby when it is able to scoot but not turn over could scoot up to the bumper and get its face pushed up against it. I have my crib right next to my bed. So I will be aware pretty much where the baby will be. I used bumpers also with both of my boys and when they were tiny they never even came close to the bumpers. Later yeah they help them keep legs and arms out of the slots which can really hurt. I feel they have a benefit and a risk. They make breathable bumpers that are like a mesh material and there is something I found on amazon I'm looking at. I'm not sure what I'm going to do this time. Sorry not much help. ha. I'll post links to the other bumpers.

the cozywedge: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

breathable bumper(in pink): http://www.amazon.com/BreathableBaby-Crib-Bumper-Slatted-Cribs/dp/B0013AIU6W/ref=pd_sbs_ba_5

Bumpers are only for looks; by the time their legs are big enough to get caught between the slats, you shouldn't have bumpers in the crib anyway. According to my pediatrician, if you really want to use them, make sure to take them out as soon as your little one can move around in any way by scooting or rolling. They are a suffocation hazard if the baby moves during the night and ends up pressed up against them. (They don't really help with keeping legs from poking out of the slats anyway, by the way.)

For me, I used them with my first two kids, although like I said, I don't really feel like they helped. Then they changed the recommendations to say not to use any fluffy bedding, so I did not use them at all with child #3. Why take a chance?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.