Question about aerobics for a weak mom 4 months after birth

Amyv

I had my first baby 4 months ago. Because of a complication in the pregnancy I was unable to excercise. My weight is gone, but I am very weak and have constant mid to lower back pain. I have been using a treadmill, but now realize that I need more muscle toning exercises and am interested in getting one of Cathe's videos. I need a good mixture of aerobic and muscle toning exercises that are moderately paced. I am worn out after only 15 minutes on the treadmill.

Any suggestions as to which video to purchase?

Weak backed :-hmmm
Amyv

Hi Amy -- I found my back very week after my last baby too (in fact after the last few, but I wasn't as into fitness then). I thought I'd just whip out an abs tape, some familiar cardio/strength tape and get my back stronger and back to normal. But I couldn't even do the simplest ab work. I found that I had to start with enough ab strength to get through holding up the rest of my body by walking or with simple low-impact cardio and light strength work, then I slowly built back up to traditional ab work. All of Cathe's tapes I have are pretty advanced, but you could lower the weights that she recommends and lower the intensity and step height of her step work and have workouts that could grow with you.

My favorite short cardio segment of hers is on Step and Intervals. It's about 1/2 hour long and you could alternate it with different segments from one of her full body strength tapes -- like Maximum Intensity Strength or Power Hour (both are tough, but can be divided up easily into different days so you don't have to do it all at once. Body Max is another total body workout that you could divide up for different days. I'm not a fan of hi/lo, but I use it for the step and strength work. Remember it's tough stuff, but you would lower the step and just do a few segments at a time until you build up to them all. Circuit Max is a great full-body cardio and strength tape that isn't too intense on the weight work, but you do work every area.

Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't progress as fast as you'd like. Take it slowly and remember to not hunch over when you feed or carry your baby. That makes the back strain and pains even worse. Prop your baby up with pillows if you have to to help out your back. Best wishes! -- Renee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.