Protein powder

gina

Cathlete
So has anyone continued to use a protein powder while pregnant? I typically drink Dave Draper's Bomber Blend each day. *I* feel 100% confident that he doesn't put anything 'bad' in his powder. I know him and his wife and trust them.

But my husband feels like whey protein and calcium caseinate and bcaa's are some mysterious things he doesn't know and that I should stop drinking it. I have because I don't think it is fair to exclude his opinion in this. But you better believe I am going to ask the doctor next month! Unfortunately, I bet he tells me not to drink it either because I think dr. are also suspicious of protein and powders.

The one thing that occurs to me is that the powder is also foritified with lots of vitamins (and minerals?) and maybe with the prenatal I'd get too many.

THIS feels like the biggest sacrifice to me. I am afraid I am going to go soft long before I even look pregnant! ( I am not into cooking, meat or otherwise.)

Thanks everyone!I think my long posts will slow down once I get these initial questions out of the way!

Gina

I used a milk and egg protein powder during a couple of my pregnancies, as recommended by my midwife. Protein can be a huge help in warding off pre-eclampsia in the 3rd trimester. Maybe your husband would feel more comfortable if you switched to a powder with a food base he recognizes? I do think that if your powder is too vitamin fortified that you would need to be cautious in combination with the pre-natal. Vitamin A especially can be toxic in too high doses. I would look at the jar and see the vitamin content, add that to what you get in your pre-natal, and see if you're over the recommended levels. Any good pregnancy nutrition book ( I like Eating Expectantly by Bridget Sweeney ) can give you those numbers. Good luck!!

Erin and ?

Do you remember what brand you used? I could ask my doctor about it when I ask about my usual brand. Gina

I am still using my Shaklee soy-based protein and did with my other two pregnancies as well. First know, I don't sell it! I trust this brand because I've seen them yank their good sellers off the market for not being satisfied with the crops available to produce them and reissue them later when a more favorable crop was found. Maybe ask your caregiver about brands and such?

A friend did caution me about one of the amino acids in it, but I cannot remember which one. Sounds awful, I know, but I'm not overly concerned. I've been very blessed with wonderful pregnancies and very healthy babies! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Mine came from Bronson, which is a nutrition/supplement catalog, but I don't know if they sell it anymore. I haven't bought from them for a long time.

Thanks everyone. I certainly will ask my doctor about my brand an any other possible brands I may use. Maybe she will prefer a soy based brand like the midwife. Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.