Pregnancy Induced Carpal Tunnel??

jenmgo

Cathlete
For over a week, i have lost feeling in almost all the fingers in my right hand (except the pinky). I experience everything from pain, to numbness, to tingling and nothing seems to help. I thought maybe i pinched a nerve or hurt myself after doing a new boxing workout, but its been over a week and i know its not that.

On friday i had my 32 week preg apt and brought it up to my midwife. My feet have been swelling for almost 2 months. She said i've been swelling way too early on and to watch out for other symptoms. When im entioned what is going on with my hand she said right away i have carpal tunnel. And if it gets unbearable or causes me to not be able to do things, then i could get PT , a splint or other treatements.

Well, i can still do things for the most part but its so uncomfy and painful. apparently this is common in pregnancy. Has anyone else had this? What can i do to relieve the pain?
Working out helps my feet swelling go down, but does nthing for my hand/fingers. Sometimes it hurts so bad and i try to stretch it and move it or keep it flat or keep my arm down but nothing seems to help.

any advice or suggestions?

I had numbness when I was pregnant, too. Both times, and unfortunately, it still comes back now and then -- when I was still in the stage of pushing a stroller, I would get numb doing that. Sometimes driving does it (holding the steering wheel), and unfortunately just recently when I've up'ed my weight for bicep curls I feel it (especially on barbell curls). My youngest is 7. I'm not sure what to tell you, except to stretch -- do the kinds of stretches Cathe does after bicep work. Those seem to give a little relief. It was so long ago I can't remember what else they recommended for me. Good luck!

-Beth

I got carpal tunnel syndrome in my last pregnancy and still have it (my dd is 6 now). I think, for most women, it goes away after delivery. Mine is definitely hormonal and gets worse the week before my period starts.

Have you tried wrist braces? They can sometimes help - I wear them at night when my symptoms get bad. Mine was very bad at one point and it was very painful at night. I had no idea that carpal tunnel could be so painful.

Good luck!

Erica

jen, i just have a sec..... but go see a chiro!!
your nerves in your upper back and neck are pinched because your low back is out of alignment, due to Sweet Baby. when your low back is out it twists your spine and causes your upper back/neck to twist to compensate.

I had it with my first and it was made worse because I was still working and typing a lot. My D.O. said it should go away after birth and it did fade away to a great extent, but still comes back if I write for long periods or try to knit or crochet with small needles. My second pregnancy I had it again, but not as bad since I'd stopped working when my first was born and I could control the way I used my hands. It's been 10 1/2 years and for the most part it's gone, but I do find that my water intake can affect it. It starts to return if my water intake drops for more than a day.

I didn't have a lot of swelling in my ankles and legs though, and my problem seemed to be located only in my wrists with the right one being much worse than the left.

I've had carpal tunnel off and on since my first pregnancy, in both wrists. It got worse during each of my 3 pregnancies, and between my first and second children it would get worse during my period. It still comes and goes from time to time, and I often irritate it with my hours at the computer, lifting heavy weights, and lately playing Guitar Hero that DH just gave me.;)

What has always worked great for me is wearing a wrist brace to sleep. It keeps my hand in a neutral position so that the nerve isn't pinched. The cheapo drugstore braces didn't work. The best kind (which is still not that expensive) has laces that run down the length of it, ending in velcro which wraps around. The metal splint inside can be adjusted to the curve of your wrist/hand for comfort. This is one of the brands that I have: http://www.medspec.com/OnlineProducts.cfm?ID=25 (left hand) or http://www.medspec.com/OnlineProducts.cfm?ID=26 (right hand).

The nice thing for me is that just wearing it at night relieves the pain so well that I don't even need to wear it during the day. I'd hurt my wrist a few days ago from playing Guitar Hero, wore the brace 3 nights in a row, and now it feels pretty good. I can't say for sure it will work this well for you, but it's pretty cheap and doesn't involve any medications, so it might be worth a try. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.