Pregnancy and Health Ins

Hey ladies!

I thought this would be a good place to ask this question. I recently got married and we are looking at health ins. We are not sure if my husband will stay at his current job (which is the only one of our jobs that offer health ins), so we were looking for health ins on our own.

We found some affordable options ONLY IF we don't have maternity coverage. If we add it on, then the costs sky rockets by HUNDREDS a month. We can't afford it.

I'm not pregnant now and am using birth control but accidents still happen and I don't want to get caught without ins. Even if we were trying to get pregnant, I don't know what to pick cause of the expense.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions as to what we can pick up that is more affordable.

Thanks,
Lynn

One option is to start putting money into a savings account to cover the typical pregnancy costs. Blood work, ultrasound, and the birth are what you'd be looking at. If you're healthy and have a healthy pregnancy (and opt for a hospital birth) then you'll probably be looking at around $10,000 on average.

You can also look into midwifery care which is a ton cheaper and in my personal opinion better care. My first two births were in the hospital (well my second was an unplanned unassisted homebirth but I wound up in the hospital after the birth to be chedked) and my third was with a midwife. The midwife focused more on my diet and a more well rounded approach to the pregnancy and I didn't have swelling with my third like I did with my prior two. I think midwife care is anywhere from $2,500-$5,000 so quite a bit cheaper.

This way you have the money on hand if an oopsie does happen.

Cindy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.