Preggo and having food aversions?

goldenrun358

Cathlete
Anybody else experiencing this? NOTHING sounds good to me! I had been eating very clean prior to getting pregnant. Here lately, nothing sounds good to me especially healthy things. I actually ate doritos today. I'm appalled! I can't complaint too bad, I'm not throwing up...just queasy, but still. Have any of you found anything that helps or sounds good to eat when feeling this way?

Not pregnant now...

...but when I was, I had such a hard time with food! With my daughter I craved vegetable sandwiches and Krispy Kremes; with my son I craved Pop Tarts (of all things). And most food seemed revolting to me -- I could barely stand to eat anything. Stuff I loved -- roasted chicken, even coffee -- made me so nauseated!

It is normal and unfortunately common to feel that way. Don't worry about eating things you'd never normally eat; just find a way to get some food in you, and the food aversion may lessen as your pregnancy progresses. I did feel somewhat better after my 4th month, but still couldn't stand the smell of that chicken! :(

with my 3rd pg in my ist trimester i was so nauseous all. the. time.
the only thing i could eat was refined carbs/white bread. i was terrified id gain a ton of weight, but i ddnt and my midwife wanted me to gain more!
apples, my fave food under the sun, made me vomit every time.
eggs made me sick in my 1st pg.

you'll be over the aversions soon.
congrats & enjoy your pg!!!:D

Sorry about how you're feeling! My OB just told me to eat whatever I could...which for me was Kashi pizza...every...day. As long as you can hold down your vitamins the baby should get what it needs.:)

I found plenty to eat while pregnant, but during my first pregnancy I had a strong aversion to tomato sauce. My poor husband went months without eating spaghetti because I couldn't even look at the sauce. LOL

I gained a lot of weight in my first trimesters because eating kept the nausea away. It's definitely a fascinating process. I remember one week when I was on a potato salad kick and would go and buy a container at a deli and eat the whole thing. I remember when I went in for my pre-pregnancy check and told my doctor that I ate very well and we agreed that because I'm so short 25 lbs would be a good gain. I blew that right out of the water with 40 & 50 lb gains. I found it very hard to control what went in my mouth when I was pregnant.

Last edited:
Same thing here! Just eat what you can and don't worry about it for now.
I ate fast food during my first trimester like it was going off the market! (I never eat fast food - I love it, but never eat it). Seriously, I'd have McDonald's or Wendy's weekly. It was the only thing I craved. And let's not talk about pizza, which is a lifetime vice of mine! I could eat it every day.

Overall, I only gained 25 lbs while preggo, even with eating like that. Try not to worry too much about weight gain. If you can get some healthier meals in there, make sure to do it. Otherwise, you should start to feel normal again in a few weeks and the eating should level off.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in feeling that way. Here's the thing though, since I'm not used to eating like this, it is playing heck on my GI tract! I'm bloated and (sorry) gassy! It is NOT fun! Yesterday was tough pretty much all day. But, I'm feeling pretty good so far this morning. Thanks for the feed back, it helps so much to know that other people experience similar symptoms. I only have one friend who's been pregnant and none of my others are even close to thinking about kids, so I don't have many to talk to. My mom is super supportive, but it's been a long time since she's been pregnant! Thanks again for the support!

You know you might well be bloated and gassy even if you were eating what you normally eat. Pregnancy can create lots of fun stuff like that. It's like the body you thought you knew has suddenly morphed into a whole new being and it's in control of your life now. While I didn't find a lot of the side affects of pregnancy fun, I did find all the changes fascinating as they unfolded.

goldenrun - its completely normal :) you should join our pregnancy check in. we post daily and have lots of chats and sall talk and its a great place to ask questions as well. You are welcome to join the pregnancy check in!

Morning sickness sucks and that's all there is too it. I've had it with every pregnancy to varying degrees--from just an icky feeling to vomiting if I looked at or smelled something that grossed me out.

I think the first trimester is just survival mode--get through it the best you can. For most women, the nausea goes away in the 2nd trimester and you will feel much better.

Hang in there!
Maggie:)

goldenrun - its completely normal :) you should join our pregnancy check in. we post daily and have lots of chats and sall talk and its a great place to ask questions as well. You are welcome to join the pregnancy check in!

Thanks, I'd love to!

Morning sickness sucks and that's all there is too it. I've had it with every pregnancy to varying degrees--from just an icky feeling to vomiting if I looked at or smelled something that grossed me out.

I think the first trimester is just survival mode--get through it the best you can. For most women, the nausea goes away in the 2nd trimester and you will feel much better.

Hang in there!
Maggie:)

Yeah, I'm kinda gathering the survival mode thing. Just get through it. Hey, at least I'm not alone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.