Pre-K approaching and starting to have doubts :(

punka274

Cathlete
Hi,

My son, who is 4, is starting pre-k in about three weeks. He will be going to the same elementry school as my daughter(7). She didn't attend pre-k because i wanted her to stay home with me. But when she started kindergarten she had a really hard time leaving me and would just cry and cry in her class room, missing me....which broke my heart:(.(eventually she was ok,after about 3wks) So,i figured if my son went to pre-k then he could get use to going. And not mention all the positves about it(socializing with kids his own age,getting familar with listening to teachers...).

Im starting to have guilty feelings about sending him to pre-k. He just seems so young. He's pratically still a baby:(. My DD wants to ride the school bus and of course my son wants to with her and that is making me a nervous wreck too :confused:.

He seems excited about starting and shopping for school clothes, so thats good:)

Ive thought about taking them to and from school but DD insist on riding the bus...and to be honest,it would be easier if they did. Both of our vehicles are older and well,not very dependable these days.

maybe im just having 'cold feet' or so to say,LOL. Its just so hard to let go,even if its just a little.

Can you guys tell me about your pre-kindergarten experiences? Did they ride the bus? I would love to hear how they liked it! And i would also welcome any advice:)

TIA

hugs to you Amelia! I only have a second but wanted to say pre-k was the best thing I did for our DDs. I'll bbl to share more but it was amazing to watch them blossom at our preschool.

It's so hard to loosen our grip, isn't it?:(

hugs to you Amelia! I only have a second but wanted to say pre-k was the best thing I did for our DDs. I'll bbl to share more but it was amazing to watch them blossom at our preschool.

It's so hard to loosen our grip, isn't it?:(

Thanks for the hugs Kate...and your response. I would love to hear your story:) I'll check in later!!!!!

I also felt the same way you did. DS#1 rides the bus (he's 15), it's a small town so PreK thru 12 are in same building. :D

Last year DS#2 went to 4 yr old PreK & we arranged with the teacher to do it on a "tapering schedule" b/c he's never been to daycare or out of our sight. He went 1/2 days M & W's for 1/2 the year,.......then gradually increased to full-two days M & Ws. He really did blossom too,.....and it was easier on mom to do it this way. :D

With twins on the way, I don't think we'll be as close gripped this Fall,...we'll have four kids 5 years old & younger. It's a structured place with lots of friends & activities. With that said,.....I'm sure a few tears will be shed! :eek:

No reason to feel guilty! It's good for him. It's so much easier to have them transition via pre-K than kindergarten all at once. Especially if he's excited, share his excitement, and the extra smidgen of free time you will get. It's awesome that your daughter wants to ride the bus, and if your son can ride it with her, it will be a great bonding experience and will give her a sense of responsibility to look out for her little bro!

I also felt the same way you did. DS#1 rides the bus (he's 15), it's a small town so PreK thru 12 are in same building. :D

Last year DS#2 went to 4 yr old PreK & we arranged with the teacher to do it on a "tapering schedule" b/c he's never been to daycare or out of our sight. He went 1/2 days M & W's for 1/2 the year,.......then gradually increased to full-two days M & Ws. He really did blossom too,.....and it was easier on mom to do it this way. :D

With twins on the way, I don't think we'll be as close gripped this Fall,...we'll have four kids 5 years old & younger. It's a structured place with lots of friends & activities. With that said,.....I'm sure a few tears will be shed! :eek:

I like that idea of a tapering schedule...i will ask the teacher about that on open house. Congratulations on your twins.:)

No reason to feel guilty! It's good for him. It's so much easier to have them transition via pre-K than kindergarten all at once. Especially if he's excited, share his excitement, and the extra smidgen of free time you will get. It's awesome that your daughter wants to ride the bus, and if your son can ride it with her, it will be a great bonding experience and will give her a sense of responsibility to look out for her little bro!

Funny you mentioned how i would have free time on my hands....ive been looking forward to him starting pre-k for a while so i could have some time to myself, but now that its here im unsettled with it:(. Im sure once he starts i will be fine. Im just nervous:rolleyes:.

Well I'm no help. I was the same way. I drove my son to school and picked him up from pre-k to first grade and would have continued to do so. but I took him out after 1st and have homeschooled ever sense. ha. Atleast your kids can go together on the bus. I did enjoy the free time though. I'd go take myself out to lunch and go shopping on several days if I had all the housework done! ah those were the days. now I have 3 kids almost 24/7 except the classes I get them in like art/gymnastics and church classes. I'm sure your kids will adjust quickly. I was so worried about my oldest when he went to pre-k but he got used to it really fast and it was all day. If I could have tapered it I would've tried that though. good luck!

Well I'm no help. I was the same way. I drove my son to school and picked him up from pre-k to first grade and would have continued to do so. but I took him out after 1st and have homeschooled ever sense. ha. Atleast your kids can go together on the bus. I did enjoy the free time though. I'd go take myself out to lunch and go shopping on several days if I had all the housework done! ah those were the days. now I have 3 kids almost 24/7 except the classes I get them in like art/gymnastics and church classes. I'm sure your kids will adjust quickly. I was so worried about my oldest when he went to pre-k but he got used to it really fast and it was all day. If I could have tapered it I would've tried that though. good luck!

Thanks, im hoping he will adjust quickly. Hopefully he can go two days a week!! I was lucky to get him into my DD's school,they didn't have many slots open for pre-kers. They had a drawing and if you didn't get chosen,you were put on a list.....:confused:.

The school bus worries me but im sure the bus driver will be the same as last year(i hope) and he was very nice.

Ha! I'm the complete opposite of you, Amelia! My youngest dd is signed up for two days of nursery school in the fall and I'm praying she'll be potty trained by then (she turns 3 on Oct. 27th). I can't wait to workout inpeace or go to the grocery store solo. I've been lucky though-my oldest dd (9 1/2) had no problems with either pre-school or riding the bus. And dd #2 (6 1/2) had a speech delay and started the special ed program at our elementary school before her 3rd birthday! And she rode the bus! She never had any problems on the bus and only minor issues at school dealing mostly with her speech. She was in the program for 3 years-we held her back to keep improving her speech and is now heading into 1st grade. Her pre-school teacher didn't like parents driving the kids (the bus was available to all the kids). She said it made the separation process even more difficult. Not to mention how nice it was to have the bus come right to the driveway-especially in winter with a newborn:)

I'm sure your son wil be fine! Kids are very adaptable. Try not to put your fears on him-he'll sense it. If he's excited, go with it. Go school shopping, talk about the bus, etc. And look at all the workout time you'll have!

Ha! I'm the complete opposite of you, Amelia! My youngest dd is signed up for two days of nursery school in the fall and I'm praying she'll be potty trained by then (she turns 3 on Oct. 27th). I can't wait to workout inpeace or go to the grocery store solo. I've been lucky though-my oldest dd (9 1/2) had no problems with either pre-school or riding the bus. And dd #2 (6 1/2) had a speech delay and started the special ed program at our elementary school before her 3rd birthday! And she rode the bus! She never had any problems on the bus and only minor issues at school dealing mostly with her speech. She was in the program for 3 years-we held her back to keep improving her speech and is now heading into 1st grade. Her pre-school teacher didn't like parents driving the kids (the bus was available to all the kids). She said it made the separation process even more difficult. Not to mention how nice it was to have the bus come right to the driveway-especially in winter with a newborn:)

I'm sure your son wil be fine! Kids are very adaptable. Try not to put your fears on him-he'll sense it. If he's excited, go with it. Go school shopping, talk about the bus, etc. And look at all the workout time you'll have!

Thanks for your advice Klaudia, Im going to quit worring and spend the next couple of weeks enjoying my day-time with them. So far he hasn't sensed my fears. They both keep asking when were going school shopping...im holding off for the tax free weekend;).

LOL, i also thought about all the extra workout time i will have:D There is a local park that has a dirt trail around a lake thats got some gorgeous views, that sounds like heaven.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.