Postnatal pain in the . . . hips

Dawncharlie

Cathlete
I was wondering if anyone else has the type of pain I'm experiencing. It's deep in my hips/lower back, especially on one side. I feel it when I'm sitting and breastfeeding the baby (never thought I would have a sitting injury!). I also feel it when I'm standing and swaying with my baby in my arms. The first time I experienced it was after doing B&Gs and skipping the stretch, so I assumed it was related to DOMs and not stretching well. However, I'm still feeling it a bit when I'm breastfeeding her and I guess it's the sitting-up-straight-with-baby-weight-pressing-down position.

Anyone else experience anything similiar?

Thanks!
Dawn

You may want to have your alignment checked out. After I had my second, I had to go and have my lower back adjusted. Once, I did it was amazing how much different I felt. At the end of pregnancy and then especially after the birth I had a lot of discomfort and somehow during the process something had gotten out of place. Good luck.

Yes, I noticed it more than usual the past few days. One thing that the anasthesiologist warned me about at the hospital is that I would experience some low back pain. She said that I would be cursing her in a few weeks and blaming the epidural but that it is the uterus still contracting, especially likely if you notice it when nursing. As well, teh hips have to go back to the original position... I am takign motrin and it helps a lot... feel better!

Yep! Been seeing a chiropractor for 18 mos. Mine started about 2 mos after I had DS. My chiro calls it a very techinical term: "mommy back". :)

You likely hold the baby on the same side in the same position more often than not. Plus the sitting in the same position. Plus...your core is SHOT!

Adjustments help me IMMENSELY! I still have this pain. Of course, DS has only gotten heavier, thus the regular monthly adjustments. Basic recommendations from the chiro were kinda common sense, but things you tend to forget about while being a mommy:

1. Lift with your legs, not your back, when picking them up.
2. When getting them out of the crib, don't twist. square yourself with the crib before you lift the baby.
3. Tall posture, and pull your navel towards your spine when you stand/walk. Shoulders always back.

They're little things, but they do help!

I had hip pain postpartum. I think it's normal and is likely related to everything being totally shoved around in your pelvis. I took care of myself and eased back into working out (since high impact workouts seemed to make it worse). A chiropractor's probably not a bad idea, either.

Thanks, everyone! I feel better knowing it's not just me who has had this pain. And I love the term "mommy back." :)

Have a great day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.