Petty Question about Changing Shape -- sigh!

LovingLife

Cathlete
Okay, I'm embarrassed to even have this on my mind with all the blessings of being pregnant, but I'm finding myself at times in the mindset of getting discouraged of looking so much rounder, even though I haven't gained too much weight so far (I always gain about 25 pounds total and am on the same track this time).

I've been trying to figure out what swimsuit to wear to the lake this weekend when camping w/relatives and just realized that I need to figure out something to look good in for my 20 year reunion the weekend after that (thank goodness it's NOT at a lake :)). I think I just got used to being so slim and fitness-minded with working out so consistently over the past 3 years that it's bugging me more than it used to in pregnancy. I used to relish in the fact that I could enjoy my stomach not being flat, etc., but I'm just not feeling that way lately. Can anyone else relate to this? -- Renee

Hi. I can totally relate to that. I was so into working out and making sure I didn't have an ounce of fat anywhere. Then I got pregnant,and I was really excited,but I could hardly look in the mirror for awhile. How far along are you? I am 27 weeks. I have not had much energy to do tough workouts the past couple weeks,and it makes me feel so lazy. I am hoping this will pass.

Hi Beauty -- I'm 21 weeks right now and actually like this stage (as far as how I look as well as loving the ease of the second trimester) better than before because I finally look pregnant instead of just bigger -- you know what I mean? I remember in my 4th pregnancy, a woman I knew didn't realize that I was pregnant until about this point and she said "Oh, I just kept thinking you were putting on some weight." I wasn't offended but I've always thought that it was nice to pass that first bit of time when you're not looking too much different from the average weight gaining person.

But back to what you said -- I think that is the biggest difference this time around -- that I was more fitness-minded than ever before just prior to this pregnancy, so I'm trying to change my mind-set from fitness helping me be in shape for a healthier pregnancy, delivery, and recovery -- and the visual is just how it is.

That's too bad that you're going through an energy slump. Have you talked to your OB to see if you might have an iron deficiency? I read that that's most common in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Or maybe your body just needs a bit more care right now. Hang in there! -- Renee

Hang in there... I think your feelings are completely normal... most of us feel a little out of control when we're pregnant. To me, it sometimes seemed like I'd given my body over to some alien life form.

Some of the new pregnancy styles are awesome for fit pregnant moms... especially the summer styles.

Try to think of the changes as the ultimate in femininity... if you really need inspiration, take a trip to an art museum or at go through an art history book. There's truly nothing more beautiful than motherhood! (although, I could definitely trade in the varicose veins LOLOL)

Susan

p.s. --
Check out the postpartum success stories on the board... & in my own case, I lost all 43 lbs. from my first pregnancy in 4 mos., and so far, in 10 weeks, I've lost 34 of the 38 I gained this time... the exercise you do now won't help you lose weight, but it sure will help in the postpartum period! :)

Thanks Susan -- I like that -- the ultimate in feminity! I'm finding actually that I feel better when I'm dressed more feminine. In fact, I went shopping last night for clothes to wear to my two reunion events and even though most of what I tried on in the dressing room (I was in a few stores for hours!), I came home with a dress and a blouse to go with my black pants that are soft and feminine and help me to feel presentable and wonderful.

I didn't know there were post-partum success stories on this board. That will be fun to see. I'm not afraid of not being able to lose the weight myself, but it is always nice to have that motivation when it's going slow. This will be my 6th baby and I've lost the "same" weight over and over again, but each time I get wiser and better about it and continue to end up more fit each time. So maybe I'll be able to share my story after this one on the board -- that will be fun. I sent mine in after losing the baby weight with the last two pregnancies to Collage and got lots of new free videos. Always fun! -- Renee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.