Pets and new baby

Juliakay

I had a question and I wondered how any of you have dealt with this, or if you have recommendations on where to get additional information. I'm not due until November but I'm already concerned on how to acclimate my dog to the new baby, our first. My dog is a Blue Heeler, or Australian Cattledog, and very territorial, to the point she freaks out when others come into the house who are not part of her "pack" (anyone outside of me, DH, and my two DSS). By freak out I mean gets aggressive, barks, growls, even tries to nip or bite. We don't have visitors that often, but try to work with her when there are others around, and as well as she responds in all other situations, she just doesn't respond to us at those times, it's like this instinct kicks in and she feels she has to "protect" us and her territory, I guess. She will be three years old when the new baby comes. I don't want her to have to become an outside dog but am of course not willing to take chances with safety. Are there things we can start doing sooner to try to acclimate her, or ways to approach this situation once the baby is here? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Julia

Talk with your vet

We have two dogs, one of whom had us a bit worried as to his possible reaction to the new baby. Our vet gave us some great information, but to be honest, I'm blanking on it right now. I do recall that one of the things recommended was to bring a blanket or cap or something that had the baby's scent on it home for the dog to sniff before you actually bring the baby home, but I doubt you want to wait until your 24 hours from bringing the baby home to start trying to acclimate your dog, especially if she's very territorial. I also recall there were names of trainers who could work with the dog to help him/her with the new arrival, so maybe there is something like that in your area.

You are right to be concerned, but I will say that both our dogs (as well as our cat) adjusted wonderfully to the baby, even when she started getting to that stage where she'd grab a handful of their fur and hold on for dear life. They just seem to sense that she is not intentionally hurtful. On the other hand, I have a close friend who actually had to get rid of their family dog (whom they'd had for 8 years) because she too aggressive/jealous of their baby.

Sorry that's not more specific, but definitely ask your vet about it, especially since he or she probably knows your dog's temperment.

Ditto on the other response. Our dog is 5 and currently our only "child". He is GREAT with people but aggressive with other dogs. Our concern (I'm due in September) is that he is "rude" and "inconsiderate" of others and his surroundings. We are worried about a little jealousy but more about unintentional harm (e.g., should be move up to a station wagon because if the dog and baby are both in the back seat and he sees something out of the window on the baby's side, he may just head on over and possible step on baby to get a closer look...)

I agree with working with a trainer. You're dog may adopted the baby as one of his pack (which could be to your advantage) or see the baby as an outsider (not good). Also, my cousin is a vet and suggested purchasing the baby blanket (and maybe a doll)at least 2 months before and set rules for when we are holding the blanket (no jumping, no using teeth to nibble on blanket - our dog is very oral and shows affection that way,). She suggested the same thing for such items as a car seat (put in the car at LEAST one month prior so he can get used to riding around with it next to him). Also, she suggested that if he is currently aloud into what will be the babies room, set it up again MONTH early at least if you don't want him in there.

Interesting thing...I realize there are many myths and superstitions about pregnancy but I liked this one. My co-worker from Ghana, Africa said to pay attention to the dog the day I go into labor as he bets the dog will know first...;)

We have 3 dogsm, and I've been involved with training/limited breeding/showing for some years -- we have 2 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and one Lab. Chessies are a protective breed -- not to the extent that blue heelers are (blue heelers, I understand are a very "primitive" breed... much more instinctive and less domesticated), but definitely feel that they "own" their people and property... and definitely more formidable for trespassers.

I am a big believer that kids and dogs should NEVER be left alone together. Kids are too spontaneous, and even the sweetest of dogs has canine instincts... and if a child hurts or startles the dog, they might react. It's important to remember that an adult dog will correct an "uppity puppy" by "alpha rolling" the pup (knocking them down and turning them over) and holding them down by the neck or biting them on the muzzle. Not surprisingly, the majority of bites on kids occur on the face!

Our dogs were our babies before our first son, and we still take a lot of time with them... but they are outdoors more than they used to be, and they no longer have free run of the house unless I'm there to 100% supervise.

All of that being said, our dogs love our kids... the biggest problem I have is that my Chessie bitch wants to lick the kids up one side and down the other 24-7... it gets to be a bit much. With Chessies, it is more common for the dogs to become extremely protective of the children rather than aggressive toward them... I've heard of this causing problems when they are rough housing with friends... they'll perceive danger and want to protect "their" kids.

I should also add that I only bring the dogs in one at a time now... but that I'll have them in and in a "down" when I nurse the baby... I believe that they can smell the milk, and it shows them that this baby is mine... no dog in their right mind will mess with a "bitch" and her puppy...

We also try hard to give the dogs individual attention -- MUCH harder than it used to be -- but we don't want the dogs to be jealous.

One other thing -- when I'm screening families, I'll only sell puppies to families w/ kids (esp. young kids) if they are committed to going through a full year of obedience training with their dogs. Our 3 are all trained on voice and hand commands, and it is so helpful when you are trying to keep the dogs under control around kids... Also, the training establishes you as the "alpha" (top dog) and gives the dog important thinking activities.

With a smart herding dog like a blue heeler, you might try agility classes -- they seem to excel at that sport, and it's fun for the owner/handlers, too...
I have some good articles on dogs & kids that I've given out to my puppy owners... let me know if you are interested, and I can send them to you via email...
Susan

Your co-worker is right -- and bitches are especially perceptive of hormonal changes...

My bitch was quite worried about me after my first son -- she'd lean on me and give me doe eyes... I think she could smell the lochea and the change in hormones, and she knew that something had happened.

My sister's golden retriever would lie with her head on my sister's belly when she was expecting (my sister, not the dog)...
Susan

Hi! We had a blue heeler male when my son was born and we never had a problem with him. I remember the first tiem the dog saw my son. The baby was in a stroller. The dog walked up to him, sniffed, gave him a great big lick on the face and walked away. He just acceptd the baby as belonging here, I guess. However, he was mostly an outside dog and so my son was never left alone with him for more that a few seconds at a time. But they got along great!
[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.