Okay... now it's time for you guys to tell me...

tchersue

Cathlete
... to chill out LOL.

I had my 36 week visit today... what a depressing visit. First, I gained 7 lbs. in 2 weeks... the OB says that I've definitely got some edema (but my blood pressure was fine & no protein in my urine) which I figured since my rings and shoes feel a little tight lately. Okay, so I'll try not to freak out over the humongous weight gain... if it's mostly water, then it'll come off quicker than the real poundage (I think I need to repeat that about 30,000 times so that I believe it :))

Then, she suddenly seemed very concerned about my varicose veins (which I don't think have gotten much worse since I was 6 or 7 mos. pg). She told me to get some of those lovely suport hose -- I'd looked for them before, and couldn't find them, so I have no idea where I'll be able to get some -- because being over 30 and having varicose veins puts me at a higher risk (2 in 100 women will have the clots, and most are in a risk group) for thrombosis (blood clots) in the late pregnancy or early postpartum stage. Of course, I didn't think to ask any questions (or to get concerned about it) until after I left the office, and now I'm sort of freaking out over it.

Then, my cervical exam showed pretty much no real progress... it's softening a bit, but no more than a fingertip of dilation.

WAAAAAH!
Susan

That's interesting about the varicose veins...

Better that you know this now, so that you can get it taken care of BEFORE it becomes a problem.

As for support hose, maybe you can find it at a surgical supply. At least you only have 4 weeks left to wear the hose; imagine having to go through the summer with it!

Susan, if you see all the swelling in your fingers, and it all came on so suddenly, then you have to believe that it's water. But I'd probably be the same way as you are, so I completely understand being upset about the weight gain.

I learned something new about varicose veins-- Thank you for the info. I'll have to ask my Dr. about the ones that cropped up on my legs.

Keep focused on the prize. You'll be there soon!!!!! :)

Hang in there!

I can't help you with the vericose veins, but when I'm pregnant I am the QUEEN of water retention unrelated to pre-eclampsia! :) I'm here to tell you that by the end of your 1st post partum week, the water weight will pour off ( pardon the pun ;-) ). Honestly, as long as you have no other signs of medical complications, the water does nothing bad except make you more uncomfortable. As soon as you have that sweet baby, it's gone!

RE: Hang in there!

Did you (or anyone else reading this) have any swelling at all after you had your baby? With Aaron, I could wear my rings comfortably up until a couple of days before he was born, but afterwards, I had this piggy looking ankles and it took weeks to be able to get my rings back on. I thought something was wrong, but my OB assured me that this was all normal...

Susan

I sure did!

I didn't have any swelling at all with Lauren -- until after the birth. I always attributed it to the massive amounts of fluid they were pumping to me after my water broke, but I've since read that it's normal to experience this anyway. I wish I'd never let anyone take my picture while I was in the hospital -- I have the biggest moon face. And I couldn't even put on my Tevas when I got ready to go home.

Me too. I had no swelling the entire pregnancy until after I had a c-section. I had to go home in sock feet because even my houseshoes didn't fit. Really weird. I couldn't wear shoes for 2 or 3 days.

Hi Susan! How are you managing? I had Kyle on Monday and by Tuesday evening I had two VERY puffy feet. They looked air inflated. My hands did not swell up this way but ironically, my feet went back to normal 5 days after they became puffy yet my rings will not fit on my fingers, very strange!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.