next step

lulu68

Cathlete
Hi,

I'm a 40 year old mother who has been trying to conceive with #6 for almost 2 years. What would be the next step for me to take I'm running out of time. What test should I ask for do I go see my OBG not sure what to do. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Lourdes

not sure, lourdes.

i really like the book "taking charge of your fertility" by toni weschler (?). it teaches so muchabout how to either get pg or avoid it.

best of luck to you!

Besides making an appt with your ob/gyn you can

1. Have sex alot
2. Use ovulation testers to know when you're most fertile (then have sex more)
3. Chart you temps before getting out of bed (might as well have sex while you're there)
4. Use your cervical mucous---to help determine when your most fertile (then have sex)
5. Join support group (like TTC (trying to conceive)/ Post Miscarriage Support) for support---have sex after each posting.

:) I"m 35 & have been TTC #4 for 3 years. You're not alone. Glad you posted. :)

Hope to "hear" from you soon.

I am 42 an have been ttc for 2 years, having 2 m/c in that time.
My dr told me that usually after 6 months of ttc for women over 35 most drs will do "something" like clomid etc. I have opted not to do that.

Hi,

I'm a 40 year old mother who has been trying to conceive with #6 for almost 2 years. What would be the next step for me to take I'm running out of time. What test should I ask for do I go see my OBG not sure what to do. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Lourdes

Hi Lourdes,
I know for me; I was 35 when I started trying for #3. The steps that I had to go through were:

Surgery (tubal reversal)
Monitoring temps/charting (4 months)
clomid (4 rounds)
HSG (to find out tubes were still blocked)
IVF (4 rounds)
Almost giving up hope.

Some of the blood work that I did, was to check my FSH level. To make sure that I was still able to produce mature eggs. They also checked my estrogen and progesterone levels at different parts of my cycle to make sure that I was ovulating (I wasn’t) I had PCOS. Finally, they checked my thyroid to make sure there were no issues there.

Last edited:
Was it costly? Did your OBG do the basic blood work to test for FSH level?

The whole process was costly. But my medical insurance covered the basic tests. (The blood work; HSG; Surgery). The more invasive the process got, the more money came out of our pockets. I had a family practice doctor- then was transfered to a Reproductive endocrinology & infertility clinic.

But you probably should start with getting bloodwork done. I hope I have helped somehow.

You haven't stated what types of things that you have TRIED?

Charting temps & ovulation kits would/have been my first resource----I don't like to be probed and such. Taking Charge of your Fertility is an AWESOME book.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.