Newly pregnant exercise question

Kat25

Cathlete
Hi everybody,

So after almost two years of ttc I'm finally pregnant!!! :) I heard my baby's heartbeat this past Saturday. I'm 12 weeks today. I have not exercised at all since I got pregnant because I was so afraid that something might go wrong. I have lost two pounds because my appetite has gone away but I would like to start exercising to ease the fatigue(which I heard it helps). Which Cathe DVD's do you think would be a good to start with? I also purchased the 4day split but I'm not sure those would be a good start since I do not know the coreography. Would Rythmic step or Cardio & Weights be ok?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Congrats! Just listen to your body. I did both of those during pregnancy. Try them and see how you do with them. The best would be the low impact ones-lowmx, low impact circuit and basic step but I used most of my others just modifying as needed.

Hi!
I'm right there with you at 11-1/2 weeks. I had the same worries and even stopped exercising until a week ago when I just decided to restart slowly. Mostly I had tae-bo videod, Imax3, step, jump and pump and all that hard stuff so I asked my doctor what to do. She gave me green light for all workouts with one caveat. Listen to your body!!! If you ever feel out of breath or too tired then take a break or stop. The advice has worked to prefection. I feel much more energized now and just knowing that I can be active is huge!!!!
Good luck,
LULI

I have absolutely no advice but wanted to say that I am glad your pregnancy is going well. You sure deserve it after TWO YEARS TTC! Sheesh! I bet you and hubby are over the moon!:eek: :)

Take it easy Mommy!;)

hi kathy and congrats!! you must be so excited. i think you have gotten some great advice here, but certainly if you have any concerns, talk with your doc. mine said to just not try anything new - anything i was used to was fair game. that said, with my first pregnancy, i exercised fairly heavily right up until my due date. certain things felt comfortable the whole 40 wks, like kick boxing and step. running however, i had to stop at 21 weeks b/c it was not comfortable. i am pregnant agin with number 2 and am just 6 weeks and am doing whatever i can depending on fatigue. good luck!

COngrats on the baby! For my first me and my husband also tried for 2 or more yrs.so i know its a relief when it finally happens!
I am now preg. with my 3rd.-just about 12 weeks along,and so far i have not really worked out.It seems like just keeping up with my 2 kids (ages 3 & 2) is a workout in itself.
Have fun!
:)

Congratulations! I did alot of kickboxing and low impact circut. You can modify practicly ANYTHING; just be creative. Low impact circut was definately my go to workout though.

I just started exercising again a few weeks ago.I had absolutely no desire to exercise during the first trimester. I still do cathe but with modifications. I have a few pregnancy DVDs that I also use. i just listened to my body, and don't lift as heavy as I use to.
take care and good luck.
Suzette

Can you still do ab exercises while you are pregnant? I have always wondered this.....

Husband and i are seriously considering a child and I want to know what my limitations might be. . . .

>Can you still do ab exercises while you are pregnant? I have
>always wondered this.....
>
>
>Husband and i are seriously considering a child and I want to
>know what my limitations might be. . . .

After the first trimester, don't do any ab exercises laying on your back. It's dangerous.

I put this in the other ab thread. It's from my ACE certification book:

After the first trimester, no abwork in the supine position:

This can cause Supine hypotension. It's when the weight of the uterus presses against blood vessels, especially the inferior vena cava (where blood enters the heart). This pressure occludes the vessels causing a restriction in blood flow which may, in turn, cause reduction in cardiac output, blood pressure , and blood flow to the fetus. If the fetus is subjected to repeated periods of hypoxia due to prolonged and/or repetative supine exercise, there is the potential for developmental disorders to occur.

Instead you can try doing abdominal exercises in the semirecumbent position. This reduces the constricting uterine pressure from the inferior vena cava and aorta.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.