Need just a little advice...please

jeffsmom

I am 15 weeks into my second pregnancy and all is well. I am working out as usual and it is really helping me. Well..o the 4th of July I HAD to go to maternity clothes! (A lot quicker than with my first....) I am sooo much more comfortable.

Anyway, I have some questions. I have not had to modify my workouts yet, except in MIS...I can't put a barbell on my lap for tricep dips. That would just be too hard on junior in there. But, how are you all handling the weight work on your backs? I know you should go to an incline at 16 weeks or so but I feel very strong and I also feel like I could stay on my back yet. I am comfortable once I am on my back, but have concerns in getting there. If my husband hands me my bar I am fine, but to hold it and roll back and get up, it seems a bit uncomfortable. I think I am answering my own question and need to incline. So, the next question. Have you experienced being able to lift as much on an incline and at what point did you lighten up? I really don't want to go lighter yet....thanks for your input(s)!

Hi, I am almost 35 weeks and am still doing weight work on my back (not on an incline) and am perfectly comfortable. I have not had to reduce my weights for lying upper body. I don't have a barbell, so I have always used dumbbells (max 2 X 15 lbs). To put them down, I bring them to my sides and place them on the floor, so I don't come to a sitting position or lie down from a sitting position holding weight.

Take the following with a grain of salt if you wish, because it goes against the current recommendations. I asked my doctor about the back-lying thing, and why it was considered bad. I was curious because many medical procedures (ultrasounds, internal exams, amniocentesis) have pregnant women lying on their backs for extended periods. My doctor told me that only about 5 percent of pregnant women will suffer from supine hypotension (the reason we are told not to lie on our backs after the first trimester). The physiology is that the uterus presses on the vena cava, restricting blood flow back to the heart, which in turn makes less blood available for circulation and therefore for the baby. She says a woman will know pretty quickly if she is a sufferer: after a few seconds on her back, she will start to get dizzy and maybe feel nauseated. If she is not having these symptoms, she is not having supine hypotension.

I'm 31 weeks with my first baby. I do lie on my back on an incline for chest and triceps when I teach BodyPUMP (Cathe's Power Hour is similar) however, I get up and "spot" my class during the 4-5.5 minute tracks to break up the time I'm down. I'm not uncomfortable - just leery. I have not reduced my weight on chest or tricep work. That's my vanity. I'm afraid to reduced chest work because I want to try and hold on to what I have on top as much as possible (as for a shape and look)!!

Hope this helps! jeni

Hi jeffsmom.
I am 26 weeks pregnant and started using an incline bench at 14 weeks. I think I would be ok on a flat board, but would rather be safe than sorry and go with the Dr.Clapp"s, Sheila"s, etc.... advice.
I have not had to lower any of my upper body weight load yet and hope to continue at the same weight for the rest of my pregnancy. But I do take one day at a time and really listen to my body.
I hope this helps.

Becky.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.