Men truly are from Mars and women are from Venus

Fitnik

Cathlete
I am constantly amazed at how totally different men and women are. Again, my pregnancy has highlighted so many differences! My DH is over the moon about the baby and has told some of his close male friends - he said they all say “Congratulations” and look slightly embarrassed then move quickly onto a safer topic like world peace! The women I have told on the other hand have been over the moon, wanting to know every single detail!

I told the personnel manager at work yesterday (who’s female) thinking it would be a quick 5 minute chat - I ended up being in her office for over 30 minutes as she wanted to know what actually being pregnant felt like, whether I knew if it was a boy or a girl etc.. - she wanted to know every detail and was so excited and happy for me.

My own father’s initial reaction was very similar to my DH’s male friends’ - very abrupt “Congratulations” then he got off the phone as soon as he could. Only later did I get another call from him asking more details and I’m sure that was only because dad’s an Ob/Gyn himself - all the questions were of a medical nature!

Just my happy thoughts - but thank goodness for women! It’s great to have someone be really positive and excited about you being pregnant and to have them truly share in your joy.

Your friend in fitness, Fitnik

I think you are right ... although once in awhile, I'll find myself talking to a man who is already a father who is sort of excited about it... those are usually the same kind of men who will go out of their way to help a mom get through a heavy door with a stroller, too!

My dh is the most awesome daddy, and he is very involved with my son, but when it comes to pregnancy talk (especially if I feel like complaining LOL), he'll usually say something like, "Don't you have a girlfriend to talk with?" I don't think it's as real for him until he actually has the baby in his hands, y'know?

Last time, he was absolutely awesome during my labor & delivery, though, so I'm lucky in that way. I just figure that, when it comes to the pregnancy part, I get to have some pretty neat experiences that he'll never understand or experience... that's the cool part of being a woman! :)
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.