Medication during pregnancy

munchikin

Hi guys,

I need your help (if possible). I'm 5 about 5 wks pregnant and now am catching a cold. The OBGYN doctor I have an appointment with for the very fitst time is not allowed to give me any info on what medicine I can take. Since I haven't had any chance to see my primary doctor in the past, he doesn't have my record so he won't be able to give me the info, either.

SO, I'm wonderig if someone can tell me what I'm allowed to take. I appreciate your help in advance!

RE: Medication during pregnancy - for liability reasons we cannot answer

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-02 AT 01:42PM (Est)[/font][p]Hello there,

I wish that we could answer your question, but for liability reasons, we will not be able to help you with this one. To do so would actually be prescribing drugs, even over the counter ones, and unfortunately that is beyond the scope of this forum. Only a medical professional, who is familiar with both your medical and obstetrical history can make a call on the appropriate medication, if any, for you at this critical time in your baby's development.

Sheila

Sheila S. Watkins, MLSci.
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R) Fitness

Hi,
I agree with Sheila. The first trimester especially is such a critical time in development, better to consult with a doctor first. I'm not sure why can't your ob/gyn give you advice about what to take? Is it becuase you have never met the person?? If that is the case, can they move your appointment up so you can go in?? Maybe call your practice and ask to speak with a nurse? I did that when I was pregnant sometimes. Or can you see your primary?? My DH is a doctor and I know that he will try and fit in sick visits on an as needed basis even though his normal wait for an appointmnet is 2 months.

If you are miserable and sick, it is worth trying to get in to see a doctor.

I hope you feel better soon.

Hi,
I agree with Sheila. The first trimester especially is such a critical time in development, better to consult with a doctor first. I'm not sure why can't your ob/gyn give you advice about what to take? Is it becuase you have never met the person?? If that is the case, can they move your appointment up so you can go in?? Maybe call your practice and ask to speak with a nurse? I did that when I was pregnant sometimes. Or can you see your primary?? My DH is a doctor and I know that he will try and fit in sick visits on an as needed basis even though his normal wait for an appointmnet is 2 months.

Hi,

Hi,

oops, sorry for the multiple posts, I'm not sure how the delete the extra ones. I was having browser problems

Hi,

Thanks everyone for replying. I didn't think anyone could or would answer my question but i was feeling so bad and very frustrated with the situation I'm in. Since my OBGYN doctor would tell me anyting since I haven't seen her yet and ironicly I've been so healthy till now so that I didn't have to see my primary doctor, either, I guess now my only choice is to go in to the emergency room....???

Again, thanks everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.