It looks like I won't be exercising w/Cathe for a while...

JulieL

Cathlete
Well I've been having BH's off and on for about 2 weeks now. But last night they got much worse. I had a couple during the day, and then went in for my OB appt of all things, and told her about them. She said if they got worse or frequent w/in an hour's time to come in to the L&D. So I left and DH and I went on our first date in like 2 months, and go figure they start to become regular. Our son was at the babysitters already, so we went to L&D - thank God DS was taken care of w/out much work. I was there for hours, given two shots of something that finally worked, and after having them for 5 hours I went home.

Thank the Lord I was able to come home and sleep. I woke up at 8:00 - and immediately they started again. So I packed DS and I up and went back to L&D. They persisted for four hours yesterday. They were more intense and more often this morning. My back was KILLING me. I felt like a big ball of tension. They gave me the drugs I had on tuesday night, but they weren't working. So they tried another drug - Nifedipine, and that has seemed to do the trick - and I went home. I'm sappose to take these every 6 hours, and to take it easy. Honestly I don't have it in me to do much anyway - I'm totally drained still, even after being home for 20 hours. It freaks me out that this is happening at 28 wks. I'm sappose to see my OB on friday morning. I'm worried about figuring out what is doing to much, BEFORE the contractions are triggered again. This pg was going overall so smoothly, and now I'm really starting to stress - but trying so much not to. I read that irritable uterus was only 18.7% at risk for premature labor vs 11% of normal pregnancies. So that makes me feel better. They did do a fetal fibronectin test on me - which can detect if you are at risk to go into premature labor in the next 14 days. It came out negative, thank God, and it's 97% accurate so I feel really good about that.

Has anyone dealt with this and what did you find was your physical limits? I'm not on real bed rest, but told to take it slow. I'm bummed that I can't workout but anything for my little girl! Hopefully my dr. will let me take walks in a week or so after we know that things have died down.

Julie,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having this problem. Did you know that you had an "irritable uterus" before this happened, or is this a new diagnosis? I'm glad to hear the fibronectin test came back negative. Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Sandra

Julie- that stinks. I'll keep my eyes crossed that this eases up for you.

This is my 3rd prgnancy and only with this one have I had really painful episodes that feel like BH's gone crazy. Like you said-- ball of tension. Not really feeling like contractions either because it just constantly hurts. They usually come on after i've overdone it (and that's anything, not just exercise). I usually get on the couch, drink a huge cup of water, and wait for them to go away (takes about 10 minutes). My ob wasn't worried since they go away. Sounds like you're in good hands. I'm sure they'll let up.

btw, my husband yelled at me for pushing myself too hard and he's right. So, like you, I am slowing down. I figure the baby doesn't care if she arrives home to a house not as perfect as I'd like. Like a newborn can see my dirty molding or scummy ceiling fan.

take care and try not to worry.

So sorry Julie! I have not heard of this but it sounds like your doctor has it under control. I hope all is well and that you get a little enjoyment out of the rest.

Hello there
I have experience in this department...first I had a child 8 weeks early and I am a L&D RN. First, drink a lot of water this will help, get off your feet, keep a log of your contractions call the doctor if they are regular and 5-10 minutes apart or just not going away. I hope this helps...good luck. Premmies are tiny angles but you are the best incubator of all

Hang in there Julie--you will get to exercise again when it is safe and even if you had to rest for the remainder of the pregnancy and start again post partum, your fitness level will come back with persistance and time.

Right now, relax and take it easy as much as possible.

take care
Maggie

Julie,

just make sure you take it easy per your doc's orders. i know how it feels to be in this position as i was there...however you will make it thru just fine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.