Long time...no see!

candori

Cathlete
I'm finally back on the message boards after several months at home with my new baby boy, Nathan. It's been fun to catch up with everyone's news...especially Cathe's new baby! Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!

I hope everyone is doing well. Nate is a very happy little lad and we are all adjusting to mommy being back at work and going to daycare. Quite honestly, he seems to love it there and I admit that it's kind of nice to be back amongst the grownups for a portion of my day.

Life is wonderful…EXCEPT for the extra pregnancy pounds that won't go away. How do I get started again? Where does everyone find the time, energy and motivation to get back into shape? While I was home with him all day, I could usually manage to get a workout in after my husband came home from work. But now, after being away from him all day, once I pick up my sweet little baby after work, I don’t want to spend a second away from him. My workout room is right next to the nursery and he’s a very light sleeper, so after he goes down, being upstairs jumping around isn’t really an option. Not to mention I’m really wiped out by the end of the day.

I’ve got around 12 pounds to lose and though I don’t overeat or eat too poorly, I know my diet could also use some work. But where do you find the time to pack nutritious lunches and snacks. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed, frustrated and anxious to find a realistic plan that works. I mean, there is no way I could just pop in Bodymax and keep up after such a long hiatus. How can I start slow and stay motivated. Anyone have suggestions?

Once again...hoorah to the new additions and best wishes to all.

Hi Angela! So very nice to hear from you again. I had wondered how you were doing. So glad to hear that you, Nate and hubby are all adjusting so well.

We are doing well here and adjusting to having a newborn and a terrible two'er (who is now crawling all over me as I try to type) under one roof. Sleep is not something that we get around here much at all. Two or three solid hours a night are a luxury:)!

I too just started back to work yesterday and am happy to be in the company of adults for a portion of the day. I taught my first class yesterday and I'm sore today, youch! But it felt so good to just be able to let loose and jump around. I still have about 15 pounds to lose but I'm doing it gradually since I feel some joint sensitivity due to the relaxin still lingering in my joints a bit.

As far as getting back into exercise and/or finding the time, just let yourself get used to being back at work first. Once you get used to it and establish a routine you'll be able to see where your free pockets of time are. Then use that time to just do what you can. Instead of looking for that hour to dive in where you left off, set smaller goals for yourself. Say 20 minutes three times a week. Once you do that much you'll be able to see where you can add on.

So great to hear from you and keep in touch!

Candori & Cathe...

Hey Candori (and Cathe, too :)

I'm in the same boat... I've got about 12 pregnancy pounds... and then, if I'm honest with myself, another 12 or so to get to my "happy weight" (I'd put on a few before I got pregnant).

My frustration is that I had an emergency c-section, so It's taking me so much longer to get moving this time around. I've just begun doing upper body resistance exercises with my dynabands, and some squats... I have to wait on doing much in the way of cardio... but when I definitely suggest using a Baby Bjorn carrier to include the baby in low impact activities like walking and even some modified aerobics. The carriers are a little pricier than some, but they provide good neck support, and my oldest and my 3 1/2 week old both love(d) the movement and would fall asleep in them when I'd use it. You also get the added benefit of a baby "weight plate." I also used my jog stroller a ton with my 1st son, and I'm really looking forward to using my double jog stroller (which should arrive by UPS any day now!)... ideally, if you get out with a stroller, try to go somewhere where you can stop and nurse or feed the baby if you need to... like a park that has benches. That way, if the baby cries, you can stop, feed him, and then continue on your merry way without feeling guilty!

Take it easy on yourself... you do have a lot to adjust to, and it'll take time to figure it all out... it'll come off, though :) ...

Okay... and here's a question for Cathe... if I was to order a video to use in this postpartum period, which would you recommend? I'd like to slim down/tone, but I'll need one that can be flexible with modifications and cardio level as I get back into the groove of exercising...

Susan

Candori & Cathe...

Hey Candori (and Cathe, too :)

I'm in the same boat... I've got about 12 pregnancy pounds... and then, if I'm honest with myself, another 12 or so to get to my "happy weight" (I'd put on a few before I got pregnant).

My frustration is that I had an emergency c-section, so It's taking me so much longer to get moving this time around. I've just begun doing upper body resistance exercises with my dynabands, and some squats... I have to wait on doing much in the way of cardio... but when I definitely suggest using a Baby Bjorn carrier to include the baby in low impact activities like walking and even some modified aerobics. The carriers are a little pricier than some, but they provide good neck support, and my oldest and my 3 1/2 week old both love(d) the movement and would fall asleep in them when I'd use it. You also get the added benefit of a baby "weight plate." I also used my jog stroller a ton with my 1st son, and I'm really looking forward to using my double jog stroller (which should arrive by UPS any day now!)... ideally, if you get out with a stroller, try to go somewhere where you can stop and nurse or feed the baby if you need to... like a park that has benches. That way, if the baby cries, you can stop, feed him, and then continue on your merry way without feeling guilty!

Take it easy on yourself... you do have a lot to adjust to, and it'll take time to figure it all out... it'll come off, though :) ...

Okay... and here's a question for Cathe... if I was to order a video to use in this postpartum period, which would you recommend? I'd like to slim down/tone, but I'll need one that can be flexible with modifications and cardio level as I get back into the groove of exercising...

Susan

RE: Post partum shape ups....

Susan,

I feel for you with the emergency C-Section. I had one of these the last time and a consequent post operative infection that took six months of antibiotics to get rid of! So I know the frustration of wanting to get moving ASAP (I also had 40 pounds to lose...:( ) .

Anyway, as an exercise physiologist (my occupation), I would strongly recommend a Pilates style program to help with the recovery in that area. Build a strong base in the transversus abdominus region before progressing. Progression is usually fairly rapid and if your core is feeling strong and secure then activities such as walking should be a lot safer and effective. There is an excellent book by Caroline Corning Creager who is a physical therapist about corrective ab exercises after regular deliveries/C-Sections.

You probably already know a lot about this being certified in this area, but I can't stress the importance of building a solid base, both in the core region and aerobically speaking. Yes, it does take longer, and the weight will probably take longer than you'd like, but you will be more likely to avoid some very nasty post partum injuries that can occur due to our altered hormones...

Don't stress too much about the 12 pounds (to me it seems like a breeze compared to the 40 or so I had to lose over the period of 18 months... :) )

Take care,
Liz N

Now, everyone will be asking how you lost the weight after you've accomplished it and are back in "filming video form." Y'all pay attention, because Miz Cathe always lets us know how she does it!

Thanks, Liz!!

I will definitely take your advice... I've been interested in pilates anyway... it makes a whole lot of sense for moms to protect their backs and shoulders by working on that core since they are lifting babies, diaper bags, baby carriers, strollers, etc. Sheila always emphasized this in her Healthy Moms prenatal/postpartum and Strollercize classes!

I'm also going to look for the book -- in some ways it's helpful to be going through this. I'll be much more effective with my postpartum c-section moms when I get back to teaching!!
Susan

Thanks, Liz!!

I will definitely take your advice... I've been interested in pilates anyway... it makes a whole lot of sense for moms to protect their backs and shoulders by working on that core since they are lifting babies, diaper bags, baby carriers, strollers, etc. Sheila always emphasized this in her Healthy Moms prenatal/postpartum and Strollercize classes!

I'm also going to look for the book -- in some ways it's helpful to be going through this. I'll be much more effective with my postpartum c-section moms when I get back to teaching!!
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.