Justin Andrew's Story -- warning long!

melanalyus

Cathlete
Hi gals! I made it downstairs to the computer. I've only been making 1-2 trips up/down stairs per day...not too bad for a hyper lady!! I wanted to share our birthing story so here it goes!

Tues & Wednesday morning I did my high impact kickboxing in hopes of delivering our baby a little sooner. I did all the jumps & most of the kicks. It was getting so uncomfortable having such a big belly & working so many hours. My hubby said I could go on maternity leave whenever I was ready, but I wanted to work up to the last possible moment so I could have 12 full weeks with my little one.

Thursday I was sore, but not any closer to delivery. I still hadn't had any contractions. My ob/gyn said I was about 4.5 cm dilated though & that was exciting. I bleed from the exam, and had some thick discharge. I think it might have been my mucous plug. I didn't work out on Wednesday.

Friday morning I did Cardio & Weights with little/no modifications. I felt good. I then went to work in the afternoon. I asked my boss if I could just part-a-day on Saturday (usually I work 10.5 hours on Saturdays) b/c it was getting uncomfortable to be on my feet so long. He agreed to let me work just 5 hours in the morning. I felt nauseus, and felt as if I was having menstrual cramps. Nothing was regular, but I did continue to have bleeding w/thick discharge. About 5 hours later I was beginning to think that those 'cramps' might be contractions. About 5 1/2 hours later I was convinced. Still, it could be days or weeks, right?

Okay, you gals know I'm a pharmacist, right? So I was counseling patients on their new medications in between contractions. It was funny. They didn't hurt much & they lasted about 30 seconds at most. I called my hubby and he was concerned...wanted to know how frequent they were. I said I didn't know I didn't have a chance to time them. I had a dr call in a prescription 2 minutes before we close (I hate that) so I had to work about 15 minutes longer waiting for this fellow to come in for his meds. I called Randy and told him I was running late, but I was definitely having contractions. He wanted to know if I was having more than 2 an hour, I said, "Oh yeah, more frequent than that".

I timed my contractions on the way home & they were about 5 minutes a part! DH was nervous, wanted to go to hospital right away. I didn't want to get sent home so I timed my contractions for about 45 minutes more & then we took off. My back was really bothering me. It was hurting bad.

I was 6 cm dilated when I got to the hospital. Yahoo! They told me I could have an epidural at any time. Then my blood work came back & my platlet count was low. The anethesiologist would NOT give me an epidural. I was crushed. Let me say that again. I WAS CRUSHED!!!! What was I going to do now? They gave me minimal pain relief and it didn't work at all. I was having back labor & feeling every second of it. I rapidly went to 10 cm, but I wasn't having any urge to push, just lots and lots of pain. They gave me oxytocin to help the labor along & to help with contractions (they said pushing). My back was killing me & my baby wouldn't move. They tried to manually move him past the 'lip'. He wouldn't budge. I couldn't push. I was in pain. They put me in the bathtub & had me on all fours. They tried all sorts of techniques but baby wouldn't move. Finally I begged for a C-section. Never thought I'd do that!!!!

I really think I could have pushed more effectively with an epidural. I was planning on having one & noone told me that I wouldn't be able to if my platelets were too low (they were low during entire pregnancy). Had I known this, I might have been able to mentally prepare myself for it.

I had to literally beg my husband to let me have a C-section. He was so nervous for me and the baby. I cannot describe with words how much pain I was in.

Eventually I had my C-section. When I was coming out of the general anesthesia I could hear my baby crying & DH in the room. I asked to look at my son (I wanted to make sure he was okay), but there was no way I could hold him b/c i was drifting in and out of anesthesia. He was born at 215am

At 430 I was brought to my room & I drifted in and out of sleep until 10am. My son was brought to me then. Oh, ladies!!! I cried and cried! He is so beautiful! He was wonderfully made! I was so excited and happy. I breastfed him & praised God for my wonderfully & perfectly made son. I just love him so much!!!

The entire 9 months, the entire labor, the recovery, and everything else that goes along with having a baby...entirely worth it! I just love my little boy soooooo much!

My 9 year old is adapted very well. I'm healing up well. Lots of naps. Lot of pain killers. I"m still looking forward to having a bowel movement (haven't had one since labor). I'm so enjoying my new son & maternity leave.

I won't be able to do a crunch or exercise for sometime. I'm looking at least 6 weeks before I can begin. I lost about 10 pounds when I was weighed before I left the hospital. I'm eating healthy & taking care of myself and the family. I should be able to do stairs again by the beginning of next month. I look forward to checking in with you ladies then!! Thanks for all your encouragment & prayers!!!!

Melanie
Baby boy born 1/17/2004

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

Oh Melanie!
Thanks for sharing your story. I had tears in my eyes when you described the first time you saw Justin. How very sweet and special! :)

I hope your recovery goes well and you enjoy your time with your little one!

Christy
EDD 6/29/04

Oh Melanie, I'm so happy for you. So, how much did he weigh? How long was he? All these questions, I know. I'm sorry, but I am very nosey, obviously!
Sounds like you are healing fast, that is a good thing. And it is very good that you werein such great shape befor eyou ahd the little guy, because you should bounce right back when you start working out again.

Once again, congratulations!!!!!

Kathy

Congrats. Love the birth story, its so funny how we all include our workouts in it. Sorry to hear about the difficulties but so happy to hear you had a beatiful, healthy baby boy.

Melanie - Congrats to you and your DH!!! You just sound like you are in heaven!! I was the same way with my son! You just can't hold him enough, can you???? Enjoy your down time and snuggle him constantly!!! You made me even more excited for our upcoming arrival - thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!

Congratulations, Melanie. What a wonderful story. Enjoy your little blessing and your time off.

Your post nearly brought tears to my eyes.

Stacey

Melanie, what a gift!

Your story is amazing --- you're so eloquent and your joy just radiates right off this computer screen. My labor with my older son (who is almost 17, ohmigosh) was so similar to yours that your story just took me RIGHT back there. I was fortunate in that they were able to give me an epidural, but he was really stuck at the lip for a long, long time. Eventually the only way they avoided a C-section on me (I was asking for it too, believe m) was a vacuum and forceps-assisted delivery, and thank the Lord that worked out fine. But sweetie, I well remember that indescribable pain of a "stuck" baby, and the indescribable joy of having him placed into my arms for the first time.

Thank you SO much for taking time to share this with us. We'll miss you while you recover, but I know you'll be cocooning with your babies (both of them, big and small! :)) and DH. What a special time -- enjoy every second of it!!!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/spezial/spudniks/spudniklifter.gif

Oh Melanie......I'm sooooo happy for you. Aren't baby boys darling. Thanks so much for sharing all the details. I remember begging for a csection the first baby and I fully understand the pain, sometimes the baby is just in a weird position and the pain is beyond description. I still remember the doctor looking at my chart and saying calmly "lets see now...she wants to have a natural birth" And if I was close enough to him I would have smashed his clipboard over his head, but instead I yelled at him "JUST DO A CSECTION AND GET THIS BABY OUT!!! NOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!" He wouldn't do it and I dilated from 1 to 10 in 50 minutes and baby came quick, but I would have if they would have let me!!

What a beautiful story and hearing the baby cry....isn't that the most beautiful cry in the entire world? Okay I gotta admit when I hear that cry now sometimes I'm thinking "hey shouldn't you have slept another hour buddy???" But...it's still beautiful ;-) ;-) ;-) .

Many hugs and congratulations to the whole family and keep us posted when you have time!!

Briee

(hey our internet service came back today...out of the blue.. who can understand computers???)

Thanks for the labor story. I am sorry that you had such a tough time during labor, but it ended very well and that is the most important thing. Congratulations again and sniff that little newborn head for me, 'kay?;)

take care
Maggie

Baby Justin is in my arms as I type. We sprayed ScotchGuard on our new couch, so I had to go downstairs...and wouldn't you know it, the computer it down here. ;) Pretty conveinent.

Have I told you guys how much I love my little Justin? Oh, and I really believe he is one of the cutest (okay, the cutest) baby I've ever seen. Okay, I won't go on and on.

I forgot some details, so I thought I'd add them here. Justin was 7 pounds 2 ounces & was 20.5 inches long. He has some black hair--baby thin . My DH has black hair, I have blondish red. My 1st son was completely bald until he was about 3 years old, so this was a little unexpected. It's getting thicker by the day. His eyes are still that grayish blue--not sure what color they'll end up. He has a darker complection (I'm pale as a ghost & DH is darker). All in all, he's really taken after my DH so far in looks. Our first one looks a lot like me.

I'm feeling better. I can feel the flab in my belly. I want to do crunches but I know it'll be a while yet. I wonder if I might be able to do plank work in a couple of weeks. I read in my book that moms who were in shape prior to delivery don't have to necessarily wait 6 weeks to resume exercise. I know with a c-section you have to wait longer...do you think step work would be okay in a week or two if I'm feeling good? I don't really know anyone who's exercised through pregnancy...just all you folks!!!!

Thanks for all your kind words and inspiration about the labor story. You guys are so sweet. I'm so blessed to have you ladies here on this forum!!
Melanie
Baby boy due 1/25/04

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

In terms of working out, i would check first with your ob. A good tape to start back with is return to slender by charlene prickett, one woman in the tape had a csection. it has weights and step. Once again, congrats.

I'm glad you both are doing so well. Your happiness just radiates from your birth story! We can't wait for you to join us in post partum check in (when you are officially allowed up and down those stairs!)... and remember it's not just for posting your workout logs!

Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am so happy for you and your family! Take care!

Autumn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.