Infant Car Seat feedback

Tammyspq

Cathlete
My husband and I are going to look at Consumerreports.com but just wanted to know what types of infant car seats you guys are using and how you like them.

Thanks! jeni

Hi Jeni! Pretty much any car seat on the market has been determined safe...it just depends on what style you want. My mom is certified to check and fit car seats (pretty interesting class and information, I hope to go through it this fall), and the car seats that they sell (very cheap rates at these events) are usually Evenflo or Graco. Sorry I don't have any specifics (but my best friend has a Graco seat that locks into her stroller, I tease her that it's Cole's cadillac :) ) but make sure that you THOROUGHLY read the directions for both the car seat and the manufacturer, make sure that the seat belt locks tightly, if the seat slides-like if you have leather seats-use the foam backed shelf liner to help keep it secure, and NO MATTER WHAT YOUR LAWS SAY IN YOUR STATE, NEVER EVER TURN A BABY AROUND TO FRONT FACING UNTIL THEY ARE ONE YEAR OF AGE!!!! Some states require rear facing only up to 20 lbs, but if you ask most pediatricians and those who investigate car crashes, esp. where an infant fatality has occured-or severe disability, they will tell you to wait as prior to one year of age their neck muscles aren't strong enough to withstand a frontal impact crash...even at slow speeds. If you drive a Saturn, you may want to check with the car dealer(notoriously difficult to fit seats into securely), and if you have difficulty achieving the 45 degree angle required for rear facing-don't prop the base with folded towels, get a "fun noodle" (foam "logs" that kids often play with at the pool) and cut it to the width of the seat and it will help make it snug.
Sorry to be so long...but any opportunity to help keep kids safe...I'm gonna take it!
good luck and best wishes!
:) julie :)

I read that the infant seats instead of the convertable ones are safer for newborns because they fit better.

Windy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.