Incontinence during jumprope

Connie1

Cathlete
Just thought I'd post here even though my one and only child is ten years old! Ever since I had him, I had slight incontinence, especially while doing jumping jacks. The bellhop/slalom things from Cathe's Kickbox were the worst.

Well, I'm posting to announce that while doing "Kegels" for ten years didn't seem to help *At All* I have found that explosive, sudden Kegel (pelvic floor) contractions while doing these jumping moves seems to be doing the trick! These contractions are practically involuntary. I continue to do CTX Kickbox but that pantiliner isn't always necessary- Yay!!

I have only been working out with Cathe since January 2002 and doing CTX and Cardio Kicks even less time- maybe a few months. Probably the 4th workout I noticed the difference.

So there's hope for others, if you're like me...

that's exactly the right thing to do!

Following Sheila's lead, I always give the "Abs in! Kegels lifted!" or "Where are your kegels?" (LOL... when I say that I always have to giggle... like they left them in the backseat of their car??) cue when I'm teaching my moms in my prenatal/postpartum and stroller classes. Back aches (often from compromised posture) and incontinence seem to be the two biggest complaints that postpartum women have coming back into an exercise class... so I always remind women to engage their kegels during high impact activities (jumping jacks are the worst offenders, I think), and if that doesn't do the trick, take it down to low impact so as to not stress those muscles.

If you have a continued problem with incontinence, there are things that can be done medically... I know one of my stroller moms did almost a year of physical therapy for her ui... the bad news is that, as estrogen drops off during menopause, urinary incontinence often rears its ugly head again... sigh!

Susan

RE: that's exactly the right thing to do!

What Connie1 said really sounds like what happened to me also. I find that coffee and tea make it worse, but those ski jumps are dangerous! Another reason I don't go to gyms except for spinning and water aerobics. It's just too embarassing. I sometimes but a panti-liner in my shorts, but it's been this way since Logan was born 18 yrs ago, when I was 27. I tried the Kegel during the jump thing and it helped! It's the first thing that's ever helped. Everything else I have done has been crisis management: Going to pee immediately before the workout, putting something in my shorts.
Thanks Connie1!

RE: that's exactly the right thing to do!

I've noticed in stroller class that if I give my moms the option of doing either jacks or a low impact variation, 99% of them will choose the low impact... postpartum (and well beyond!) incontinence is so much more prevalent than you'd think, but no one wants to talk about it... and moms are usually so eager to get back into shape that they'll wear a pantyliner and ignore do high impact activities in spite of the problem, and so it often just gets worse.
Sigh... the things we do for our children LOL :)
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.