I'm really bummed!!!

wendybdh

Cathlete
Yesterday I went to the doctor and told him that I had a couple times where my stomach felt tight for about 30 seconds or so then it went away. I don't know if it was contractions or just the baby moving. The doctor told me that everything looked "perfect" but just to be safe I should stop exercise, besides walking.:( (I'm 32 weeks)

I'm trying not to be selfish but I LOVE working out. It keeps me sane. But I know I need to listen to the Dr. for the sake of the baby.

I just wanted to be one of those women who worked out up until the day of delivery.

Do you think I could still do L&G floor work, Kick Max leg conditioning drills, or anything? Or should I just stop whining?

Hey Wendy!

Sounds like braxton hicks contractions to me. I had them worked out up until the end the very end but I'm not your doc...If I were you I'd ask you doc before you do anything besides walking....

Hi Wendy,

Seriously??? He told you to stop exercising?? Has he heard of Braxton Hicks contractions?!? That sounds exactly like what you're experiencing, and they are harmless (good, in fact), and exercise isn't going to send you into preterm labour. At this point in your pregnancy, it's extremely common to experience BH contractions. If everything looks "perfect", then I say keep working out. If you want to err on the side of caution, then stick with slower paced, low-impact workouts like Basic Step. It's no different than walking, IMO. Also keep up with the weight workouts, but go lighter and make sure you're breathing well. Do squats, etc. with light (or no) hand weights instead of a heavy barbell. (Personally, I wouldn't change my exercise routine at all, just because of BH contractions). Make sure you stay well hydrated.

If you feel uncomfortable just ignoring your dr's advice, then I suggest you ask for a second opinion, or check out a few pregnancy websites about Braxton Hick's contractions.

Hope this helps a bit,
Sandra

then I suggest you ask for a second opinion:
I second this. But I wouldn't go for it (exercise) until you got a second oppinion. Doctors go through years of schooling and residency for a reason - to be better educated than us lay people. It does sound like more of a precaution thing, but did he say why? Maybe he has other reason's to have caution and didn't express them to you. Remember we sacrifice for a good cause - but I totally understand not wanting to sacrifice for no Good reason. Ask your dr more questions, and if your not satisfied get a second oppinion.

oh, my dr said that if I had 4-6 bh in an hour to call her to make sure I wasn't progressing, are you having that many?

Ummmm... I am a little surprised. It sounds like BH (Braxton Hicks) to me. Do you have these with exercise only? Did the doc check your cervix? I'd talk to him about this recommendation. I'll add an article to my signature that discusses absolute and relative contraindications to aerobic exercise and warning signs to stop exercise. The info in this article covers ACOG's current recommendations, so this may be a good starting place to talk with your doctor. The article is written in medical research language, so it may be a little bland to read. :)

HTH!

OH, and NO EXERCISE until your docs ok!

Autumn

Me again.

First of all, thanks for being so supportive and for all the advice.

The doctor told me that I could still miscarry and since I had the tightness which only lasted for about 30 seconds. He said I could go ahead and exercise but only if I can live with the consequences if something happened to the baby. Well, obviously "No" so he said I can walk but that's it.

I hate to go against his orders because I would be devastated if something happened but I feel fine. I've worked so hard to stay in shape that I hate to see it all go down the toilet and have to start from scratch once the baby is born.

Autumn, The BH contractions have only happened a couple times and not while exercising. No he didn't check my cervix. Even the nurse thought he might want to when I told her about it but he never mentioned it. I read the article (Thanks!) and the only sign I've had is that I'm anemic now. I'm now taking 4 iron pills a day and my multivitamin so maybe this has something to do with it.

In a way I just wish I hadn't let my DH go in for my appt. with me - he won't let me do much of anything!!!

Why could you still miscarry? I don't understand. Did you have complications in this pregnancy? It's hard to stop but your muscles will have "muscle memory" and it will take much less time to get back in shape than one who has never worked out. Good luck and let us know how you are feeling.

That's what's odd. I never did have any problems and he even said things were "perfect" so I just don't get it. In fact, I did the Gauntlet (modified) only a couple of weeks ago. He was fine with my exercising up until this visit when I mentioned the tightness.

I printed out some articles to prove that I could still exercise, including the one Autumn referred to, but my DH still thinks I need to listen to my doctor because he knows what's best for me. I would like another opinion but I don't want to switch doctors with only a few weeks left especially since I do really like the guy- I just don't like this recommendation x(

I told my DH that if I have to give up working out, he needs to stop drinking beer for the rest of my pregnancy. Obviously that didn't go over very well...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.