Ideas for healthy snacks

Tammyspq

Cathlete
Hey all! I'm in my 17th week and am pleased to say that after three months of violent nauseau and vomiting, I only have an occasional "outburst". Thinking of myself and other moms with nauseau (sp?) and my other problem: food aversion...I was wondering if any of you have found ideas for healthy snacks or meals that are simple and seemed to agree with you while pregnant. I'm trying to expand my "pregnancy cookbook" with quick and easy stuff that are better for me.

I usually eat very clean when not pregnant but since I have been I've found that most whole wheat pasta is too rich, salmon is to fishy, baby doesn't like grapes - I could go on (thank God I supplement:)

Any ideas out there?

Hi Tammy,
I really think that every woman's food aversions are different, so what might work great for one woman might not work at all for someone else. I was eating fairly clean before I got pregnant, but have been having a hard time - all I seem to crave lately are refined foods.
Some healthier foods that have worked for me lately are yogurt, grilled cheese using whole wheat bread and fruit salad. I have definitely been going in phases where only one food really appeals to me and most healthy foods seem gross. It has been very hard to eat a balanced diet and I have been indulging in Easter candy big time.
OK - well I see that wasn't helpful at all!! Hopefully someone else will come up with some better ideas!
Glad that the worst of your morning sickness is over!
Erica

Hi Tammy,

Erica really was right when she said it's hard to give suggestions because each pregnant woman's tastes seem to be different. I notice a difference in this second pregnancy versus my first too. With my son I had so many food aversions throughout the whole pregnancy. This pregnancy I have more cravings and less strong aversions.

Anyway, here are some ideas that may either help or gross you out at this point :) I found I can drink no salt V8 juice much easier than eat veggies. It has so many vitamins and good things in it. I have to have it really cold and with lemon juice though. This time of year you should start to get alot more choice in fruits and vegetables too. Maybe that will help you more. I also keep dried fruits around for snacks (raisins, prunes,apricots etc). Soups are so healthy and usually easy to tolerate too (many delis or supermarkets sell homemade soups by the cup). I couldn't stand cottege cheese in the first trimester but now I can get it down much easier. I like it because its fast and has protein and calcium. Sometimes I will make deals with myself like if I eat the cottege cheese I can have something I crave with it.

It's funny Erica my pregnancy tastes sound almost exactly like yours. I have been eating lots of yogart, grilled cheese on wholegrain bread and fruit! I also have craved more refined and junky foods so much more than I did before I got pregnant. I don't want to even talk about the Easter candy :-rollen

Well I am not sure if I did any good but I do wish you the best! Try not to be too hard on yourself and just do the best you can.

Alison

Actually - this is exactly what I was looking for! I'm in the same boat with the both of you as far as refined sugars. I didn't even think about V8 - see? you all have helped already. I was mainly looking for ideas simply because I've found that being pregnant, my "food idea generator" has shut down:)!

I have to go shopping tonight - so V8 and dried fruit are on!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.