How soon?

Hi everyone,

I'm 5 months pregnant, and I was wondering how soon after giving birth can a woman seriously start trying to get back into shape. My situation is a little different in that I will be having a c-section and a hysterectomy at the same time. Before I became pregnant I was in very good shape. I did Cathe videos 3-4 times a week and also went to the gym about 4 times a week. My energy levels totally changed when I became pregnant. I found that due to extreme nausea and low energy, I can't do much of anything. I really miss the old me. Sometimes I wonder If I'll ever feel good again. Everyone says that I should start to feel like my old self, but I have'nt reached that point yet. Thank you in advance.

Joi

Hi Joi--

I think that at 5 months pregnant, it is unrealistic to "feel like your old self". While most women feel better during the 2nd trimester than the first, pregnancy can still take a lot out of you energy-wise. I can't believe how much I am having to modify.

I can't answer when you will begin to be able to work out at your previous levels post partum, because you are dealing with major surgery and I haven't dealt with that, but rest assured that you will be able to get your fitness level back--look at Cathe--she's had 2 kiddos and is in incredible shape.

Everyone's body recovers from birthing differently. I am able to start with easy exercise at 2 weeks pp and work my way from there, making sure I don't do to much too fast. Some women prefer to wait longer. Many doctors recommend waiting a full six weeks.

Lots of women on this board have bounced back after babies, so don't worry--you'll be able to do it too, you'll just have to listen to your doctor's advice and your body.

Keep us posted
Maggie

I know what you mean. I too really miss the "old me". It's just not the same and I can't wait to get back to where I was.

As far as recovery, I don't know how long it will take you to get back in shape but I do know that hysterectomies aren't what they used to be and recovery time is much shorter than it was even 5 years ago. So with that and the C-section I just don't really know but like Maggie said "Everyone's body recovers from birthing differently."

Are you able to do any exercising now?

Good luck,

Hi Wendy,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm not exercising much at all now. When I feel up to it I walk. It's so hard to go from being so active and feeling so energetic to feeling like I'm going to die any day. There are women that can work out almost as hard as they did before pregnancy up until the day they deliver. I just thought because I was in pretty good shape, I would be one of those women. You're right hysterectomies are'nt what they used to be. I have a couple of friends that bounced right back from hysterectomy. I'm just concerned about having it done right after giving birth. It's like what Maggie said, I'm just going to have to be very patient with my body after I recover. I just ordred Cathes new beginner dvd's. I'm going to try to do those and continue to walk whenever I can. Wish me luck!:)

Joi

Hi Joi,

<I was wondering how soon after giving birth can a woman seriously start trying to get back into shape.>

Only your doctor can answer this question. The standard recommendation is 6 weeks, but some doctors will recommend less or more recovery time. Your doctor knows your history and current health and is in a better position to advise you, especially considering the c/s and hysterectomy.

I did not ever feel like pre-pregnant self during my last pregnancy. I was less fatigued and no longer nauseated after the first trimester, but I didn't feel like my pre-pregnant self becuase my body wasn't. It is frustrating, and I thought I would never be my old self. But, my is 13 months now and I'm feeling pretty good. I could use more sleep though. :)

Hang in there and take care!

Autumn

I believe the rule of thumb is 6 weeks. I had CSection after last baby & it was sooooooooooooo hard not to workout prior to 6 weeks. This forum helped though, as the ladies reminded me again and again that I could do more harm than good & slow recovery even longer if I began earlier. I think I began at 5 weeks postpartum.

I exercised until delivery (literally, I did KPC the AM of delivery + worked an 8 hr shift). I don't think I"m as energetic with this one, but I'm trying my best...as I shed ALL the 40 or so lbs within 4 weeks with breastfeeding alone. I'd certainly like to repeat the feat!!!!

**Melanie**
baby to be 11/28/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

http://lilypie.com/days/051128/2/4/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.